British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mortgage Rates - What to do (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mortgage-rates-what-do-804649/)

simonmarkellis Jul 31st 2013 9:35 am

Mortgage Rates - What to do

Mortgage deal is up for renewal at the end of August, can't decide what to do.... the options are the low fixed 1 year 4.89%, a variable 5.65% or fixing it for three years at 6%.... Between the three options i'm looking at $100 difference between the lowest and highest a fortnight....

They keep saying the rates are going to go up, but yet it's August tomorrow and they still haven't... What have other people done? If it does go up, 6% for three years could be good...

MrsFychan Jul 31st 2013 9:50 am

Re: Mortgage Rates - What to do

can you split the mortgage?

fix some of it and use one of the other options for the remaining?

simonmarkellis Jul 31st 2013 10:36 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10828121)
can you split the mortgage?

fix some of it and use one of the other options for the remaining?

That's an option yes.... I can explore that.... I just wonder when they say it'll go up, how much will it.... when we came out in 2007, we got 8.75%... will it go that high again or higher or just 1-2% over the next few years....

I suppose if I knew that answer, I could make a fortune....

Charismatic Aug 1st 2013 12:23 pm

I don't know what the RBNZ will or won't do but historically floating is cheaper than fixed because the bank charges a risk premium. The question is could you afford a period of much higher rates or are you forced to pay the risk premium?

Also are you sure those are the best rates you can get? I don't know your exact situation but they look a little steep.

simonmarkellis Aug 1st 2013 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10830023)
I don't know what the RBNZ will or won't do but historically floating is cheaper than fixed because the bank charges a risk premium. The question is could you afford a period of much higher rates or are you forced to pay the risk premium?

Also are you sure those are the best rates you can get? I don't know your exact situation but they look a little steep.

Those are the rates my current lender Kiwibank are offering.... they are fairly comparable i believe....

Catchafire Aug 1st 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 10828098)
Mortgage deal is up for renewal at the end of August, can't decide what to do.... the options are the low fixed 1 year 4.89%, a variable 5.65% or fixing it for three years at 6%.... Between the three options i'm looking at $100 difference between the lowest and highest a fortnight....

They keep saying the rates are going to go up, but yet it's August tomorrow and they still haven't... What have other people done? If it does go up, 6% for three years could be good...

My instinct would be fix it for a year and pay of as much of the capital as I could in the that time as well.

With the banks changing their home loan deposit requirements, there will be a political reluctance to raise interest rates on top of that as well. Making home affordability even more difficult. So any major increases would be unlikely.

Of course I could be talking complete bollocks.

simonmarkellis Aug 1st 2013 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10830911)

Of course I could be talking complete bollocks.

I'm fluent in bollocks..... worked for years on my boss!

Thinking of hedging my bets and splitting half and half, 50% at 4.89 and 50% at 6.05...

TommyLuck Aug 2nd 2013 9:00 am

What's the plan, are you going to live there for the foreseeable? Do you have any investment properties to consider and any plans that require reasonably significant finance in the coming years?

I suppose it depends on a number of factors.

We've just done the maths today on our lives for the next couple of years and were plumping for a 24 month deal at 5.4% - P & I.

Due to a number of factors, we're then going to reassess towards the end of this deal.

simonmarkellis Aug 2nd 2013 10:44 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10831526)
What's the plan, are you going to live there for the foreseeable? Do you have any investment properties to consider and any plans that require reasonably significant finance in the coming years?

I suppose it depends on a number of factors.

We've just done the maths today on our lives for the next couple of years and were plumping for a 24 month deal at 5.4% - P & I.

Due to a number of factors, we're then going to reassess towards the end of this deal.

Been here 6 years, no plans to move at the moment... certainly won't be going back to the UK...

pleccy2000 Aug 2nd 2013 11:18 am

ASB are offering 5.89 for 3 years so push your bank a bit more. 4.89 1 year is good though.

chocolate cake Aug 2nd 2013 11:27 am

Splitting it is probably best, also negotiate with your bank, if they're their advertised rates you should be able to bargain better rates, it seems a given here.

They keep saying rates will go up, & historically they are low, but internationally they are high, raising the rates here risks inflating the kiwi$ dollar still further.

TommyLuck Aug 2nd 2013 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by pleccy2000 (Post 10831720)
ASB are offering 5.89 for 3 years so push your bank a bit more. 4.89 1 year is good though.

ASB have offered me a .35% discount on advertised rates.

pleccy2000 Aug 2nd 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10831837)
ASB have offered me a .35% discount on advertised rates.

5.7% on 3 year?

TommyLuck Aug 3rd 2013 4:46 am

Originally Posted by pleccy2000 (Post 10832675)
5.7% on 3 year?

5.89% for 36 months.

Not sure if the advertised rate has changed since I got the quote?

I have until COB Monday to take it.

Might review if it has.

simonmarkellis Aug 3rd 2013 9:28 am

Gonna have a word on Monday.... see where it gets me...