Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Morning weirdness... another "what would you do?" question

Morning weirdness... another "what would you do?" question

Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:44 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Morning weirdness... another "what would you do?" question

My wife called me at work this morning just before seven. She sounded kind of weird and said that something odd had just happened. A man she didn't know had just walked out of the woods, no vehicle in sight, and knocked on our door. Our kids were down at the road which is about 400ft from the house waiting for the school bus and our dog was next to this guy on the front porch, wagging his tail like an idiot.

We live 10 miles outside of town so people don't usually just come walking around. This guy asked my wife if he could use a phone and then wanted to know where he was. My wife said he looked kind of rumpled up and dazed, she figured he was drunk, or had been drunk all night.

She wanted to call me to see what to do but had already given him the house phone to use and had left her cellular phone in the car. She didn't let him in, she cracked the door open and handed it to him then through the door.

Just to give you an idea where this guy walked in from... http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...5&d=1207742782 That little cluster of white to the east of our place is our neighbor.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Morning weirdness... another "what would you do?" question

I do hope that your wife called the police and reported the instance asap after he had left. Did he wait around the house to be picked up or did he drift back into the woods or walked down the street? Did your wife bring in the kids to wait for the school bus or at least joined them while they waited. If she did, did she then quietly ask the driver to wait until she had retrieved her cell phone from the car and re-entered her home before driving off?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ask a question. Are you diabetic? If yes (and they look drunk), call an ambulance. If no, call the cops.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:56 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Locks only keep the honest people out.

If he had really wanted to hurt her or your kids - he would have attempted it. Handing him the phone through a crack in the door was a good idea IMO. Going to get the shotgun while he used the phone would have been another good idea.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I do hope that your wife called the police and reported the instance asap after he had left. Did he wait around the house to be picked up or did he drift back into the woods or walked down the street? Did your wife bring in the kids to wait for the school bus or at least joined them while they waited. If she did, did she then quietly ask the driver to wait until she had retrieved her cell phone from the car and re-entered her home before driving off?
The bus happened to pick the kids up as this was going on. From what she said (and I might have gotten this slightly wrong) he called someone to pick him up. I think he waited around our place until the person who came to get him went to our neighbor's place by mistake so he walked over there. (The idiot dog followed him over there like he'd found a new best friend.) My wife went over to get the dog and got to talking to the neighbor who said that the guy had evidently been "lost" in the woods overnight and local Police had been out searching for him. (Because he was reported lost, not because of he was wanted for any crime) He told my wife his name and his surname is a common local one, and when my wife told him our neighbor's surname he replied that he knew their son, and named him.

The neighbor figures he was out poaching and got lost... But my wife said he didn't have a rifle and he was just wearing jeans, tennis shoes and a carhartt jacket. It got kinda chilly last night. I don't think she ever did call the Sheriff. I'll have to ask her and clarify.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Nov 25th 2008 at 4:09 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:07 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Locks only keep the honest people out.

If he had really wanted to hurt her or your kids - he would have attempted it. Handing him the phone through a crack in the door was a good idea IMO. Going to get the shotgun while he used the phone would have been another good idea.

I asked her about that, she said she didn't think of it until later.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It sounds almost like the guy was dumped/ditched by somebody he was with. If he had been poaching he wouldn't he have probably been wearing boots? Why didn't he have a cell phone? Or maybe he had a cell phone and the battery was dead?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The neighbor figures he was out poaching and got lost... But my wife said he didn't have a rifle and he was just wearing jeans, tennis shoes and a carhartt jacket.
If I had been out poaching, and had a rifle, and got lost and walked up to the first house that I found and asked to use the phone - I sure as heck wouldn't have had a rifle in my hands when I approached the house unless I wanted to get shot ...
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

it's always difficult to say what one would have done but my first reaction would have been to have not answered the door meanwhile calling my husband or neighbour...

the guy might have been lost/ill whatever but then again ...ohhh it doesn't bear thinking about.

hope your wife is ok.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

dial the recall button and see where he called and ask if he is ok? might be an idea too. At least that way u might find out if he was a nutter or just plain ill... and another thing.. if it was a no number thing.. get more locks and more shotguns for tonight... He might be checking out the area.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:12 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by md95065
If I had been out poaching, and had a rifle, and got lost and walked up to the first house that I found and asked to use the phone - I sure as heck wouldn't have had a rifle in my hands when I approached the house unless I wanted to get shot ...
Exactly. I would have left the rifle and anything I poached hidden in the woods.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:28 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by md95065

Exactly. I would have left the rifle and anything I poached hidden in the woods.
Good point. I'm going for a walk when I get home.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Nov 25th 2008 at 5:34 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:30 pm
Unmitigated Gall

It sounds almost like the guy was dumped/ditched by somebody he was with. If he had been poaching he wouldn't he have probably been wearing boots? Why didn't he have a cell phone? Or maybe he had a cell phone and the battery was dead?
Hell, I don't have a cell phone. But yeah, I would think he'd be wearing boots. Most people around here wear boots anyway. Guys who wear tennis shoes are generally suspected of queerity.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by TruBrit
it's always difficult to say what one would have done but my first reaction would have been to have not answered the door meanwhile calling my husband or neighbour...

the guy might have been lost/ill whatever but then again ...ohhh it doesn't bear thinking about.

hope your wife is ok.
I think she was so suprised that someone was knocking on our door she was totally clueless. We've been here five years and I can think of three times offhand that a "stranger" has knocked on our door.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:35 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Deedee13
dial the recall button and see where he called and ask if he is ok? might be an idea too. At least that way u might find out if he was a nutter or just plain ill... and another thing.. if it was a no number thing.. get more locks and more shotguns for tonight... He might be checking out the area.
I'll leave the chickens out tonight.

They have to do a better job than the damn dog.:curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.