Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

More than 91% of Brits stay in NZ for at least 6 years!

Wikiposts

More than 91% of Brits stay in NZ for at least 6 years!

Old May 24th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More than 91% of Brits stay in NZ for at least 6 years!

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well I dont think 90% is remotely likely from my experience of people coming and going in the last 4 years. Though I also know a lot of UK friends who can spend that long moaning about going, as I have, but time passes quickly and before you know it or have a plan, 5 years may well have passed. Lets face it, I have lived in horrible houses for 5 years in the UK, moaned about it, wanted better, but 5 years flies before finances allow. Not sure how that is an example of anything, except I did do that

Good luck in Oz...............I bet you'll love it! People always like to make us think that we are the ones who will never be happy, but I say we are the ones who dont accept the first choice is the only one! Keep on adventuring!
Thanks, well I was happy in Uk, but had this emigrating bug I couldn't shift!
Always wanted OZ, USA or Canada, never NZ. Came here with ex in 96, thought yeh this will do, lol its gonna be like OZ anyway...
So I blame the ex for putting me on the wrong path!
My mother always said I had gypsy blood coz I love travel and adventure.
Old May 24th 2007, 4:29 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I dug out a few stats a while back (which I posted then on another forum) which might be useful to some.

Source: http://www.dol.govt.nz/pdfs/skilled-...t-outcomes.pdf

Don't think there are too many surprises in here.

Summary
During the first year of settlement, the vast majority of skilled and business migrants were happy with their decision to move to New Zealand. Overall, 93 percent of the migrants were satisfied with their lives in New Zealand, and 94 percent said they would recommend New Zealand as a place to live – 55 percent with enthusiasm and 39 percent with reservations.

However, only 10 percent of the migrants reported not experiencing any
unwelcome shocks or surprises during their first few months in New Zealand. The high cost of health services, housing and living generally as well as lower than expected salaries and wages were the most often experienced shocks.

Migrants’ satisfaction with New Zealand
Overall, 93 percent of migrants were either ‘very satisfied’ or ‘satisfied’ with living in New Zealand. Six percent were ‘neither satisfied nor dissatisfied’ with their experience, and only 1 percent of migrants were ‘dissatisfied’ or ‘very dissatisfied’.

New Zealand experiences that migrants like
85 percent of migrants who responded cited the climate/natural beauty/clean green environment as what they liked most about
New Zealand, followed closely by experiences with friendly people and a relaxed lifestyle (79 percent). Migrants also cited opportunities to pursue recreation and leisure activities (65 percent), safety from crime and violence (59 percent), achieving their desired lifestyle (58 percent), and the low population (54 percent) as positive factors.

Five percent of migrants took the opportunity to describe in their own words the experiences they liked most. They said that New Zealand was a good place to raise children, the food and wine were fantastic, and New Zealand offered them political freedom. They described in rich detail what they liked best about the natural environment.

New Zealand experiences that migrants dislike
What migrants disliked most was the geographical distance from their homes (40 percent). Bad driving or poor road safety, and the high cost of health services were both selected by 35 percent of respondents. Poor public transportation (32 percent), poor quality of housing (22 percent), the high cost of living (22 percent) and a complicated tax system (19 percent) were some of the things migrants disliked.

Settlement shocks and surprises
Only 10 percent of migrants responding to the questionnaire reported
they experienced no unwelcome shocks or surprises since their arrival in New Zealand. The high cost of housing was cited by 52 percent of
respondents, as were the high costs of living (44 percent) and of health care services (37 percent). Other unwelcome shocks or surprises included low salaries and wages (31 percent) and poor public transport (30 percent).

Thirteen percent of respondents described other unwelcome shocks or surprises including: poor driving, poor road safety and drivers’ lack of respect for pedestrians; a lack of infrastructure; poor services (childcare and health care); higher-than-expected levels of crime and violence; and environmental or climate shocks such as earthquakes and colder-than-expected temperatures.

Whether migrants would recommend New Zealand
Ninety-four percent of respondents to the questionnaire said they would
recommend New Zealand as a place to live, with 55 percent saying their
recommendation would be with enthusiasm. 5 percent of respondents were unsure if they would recommend New Zealand. Less than 2
percent said they would not recommend New Zealand as a place to live.

And in a similar vein, the stats for cumulative immigrants returning home (or to another country) within the first 7 years:

Source: http://www.dol.govt.nz/pdfs/Migrants...sm-from-NZ.pdf
    Old May 24th 2007, 4:31 pm
    NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Rascal - It will be all the better for being in NZ all this time and not enjoying it - its your yardstick now. When you wonder if you are settling in and if you enjoy it, you have this as a measure of what hasnt worked so well. You go for it!! I loved Sydney when we went there for 5 days, that is the total of my Oz experience, but it was good regardless!!!

Southerner - thanks for that!
    Old May 24th 2007, 5:49 pm
    BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
    Rascal - It will be all the better for being in NZ all this time and not enjoying it - its your yardstick now. When you wonder if you are settling in and if you enjoy it, you have this as a measure of what hasnt worked so well. You go for it!! I loved Sydney when we went there for 5 days, that is the total of my Oz experience, but it was good regardless!!!

Southerner - thanks for that!
    TBH I have never seen my hubby so happy to know he is going to OZ.
    He never wanted to leave the UK, it was me who had this bug that I had to see through! lol
    Anyway, we are now enjoying (if thats the right word) being in NZ planning our move and acting like tourist again whilst we bide our time!
    Old May 24th 2007, 8:51 pm
    Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
    I was just wondering the source of these statistics?
    I found them on the 'emigratenz' website.
    Old May 24th 2007, 8:57 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kippers
    Actually, you're both [quoting the] wrong [statistics].
    The figure is 80% after five years.

http://www.dol.govt.nz/\pdfs\Migrant...sm-from-NZ.pdf

Kip

No we're not. We're both simply quoting the statistics that we have encountered. How do you know they're the wrong ones?

Surely you have simply found another source that has different statistics. Admittedly they cannot all be right.
    And bizarrely, the 'other' 2 sets come from the same source, albeit they are different!

Last edited by uk+kiwi; May 24th 2007 at 9:03 pm.
    Old May 24th 2007, 10:12 pm
    BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
    No we're not. We're both simply quoting the statistics that we have encountered. How do you know they're the wrong ones?

Surely you have simply found another source that has different statistics. Admittedly they cannot all be right.
    And bizarrely, the 'other' 2 sets come from the same source, albeit they are different!
    80% is the figure given in the official study conducted for the Department of Labour.
    The DOL is the body that actually collects the data, so they are the most likely to have the correct figures.

Kip
    Old May 25th 2007, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Kippers
    80% is the figure given in the official study conducted for the Department of Labour.
    The DOL is the body that actually collects the data, so they are the most likely to have the correct figures.

Kip
    Kip,

Are you sure you read my post/figures correctly? We've said the same thing.

80% of ALL migrants stay, 20% leave.

BUT 91%+ of British immigrants stay.
    (Because a much higher percentage than the 20% average figure of people from some countries leave - eg 49% of all immigrants from Taiwan leaving etc etc)

Phew.
    Old May 25th 2007, 8:08 am
    BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable. (MT)

Old May 25th 2007, 8:56 am
    BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
    Kip,

Are you sure you read my post/figures correctly? We've said the same thing.

80% of ALL migrants stay, 20% leave.

BUT 91%+ of British immigrants stay.
    (Because a much higher percentage than the 20% average figure of people from some countries leave - eg 49% of all immigrants from Taiwan leaving etc etc)

Phew.
    In the link I posted (Department of Labour) shows 20% of British migrants leave after 5 years.

That's pretty good, as quite a few people would have us believe that the success rate is only 50%.

Kip
    Old May 25th 2007, 9:54 pm
    you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
    I dug out a few stats a while back (which I posted then on another forum) which might be useful to some.
    Source: http://www.dol.govt.nz/pdfs/skilled-...t-outcomes.pdf
    Don't think there are too many surprises in here.
    all of that seems about right and on the ball as far as us fresh off the boat migrants go.
    I'd definitely recommend that "potential Kiwis" read the document thoroughly and think about how they might respond to these factors