Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

More than 91% of Brits stay in NZ for at least 6 years!

Wikiposts

More than 91% of Brits stay in NZ for at least 6 years!

Old May 23rd 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More than 91% of Brits stay in NZ for at least 6 years!

Originally Posted by Jude J
Well, I really chuffed for you having a happy ending. It cant be nice having to live somewhere you dont like, and I would do exactly the same as you. One of our reasons for moving here was for a better life for the children. They were 14 and 12 when we came, and they loved it here right away. If it hadn't worked out for me or hubby, I wouldn't just change my mind about wanting them to have a better life and drag them away.
My daughter who is now 16 wants to go to Otago too! She says she misses winter
Thanks Jude, yeh its funny, it is all slotting nicely into place as though it was meant to be.
So fingers crossed, all goes well!
I dont know what my son will do when he has winter in Otago, we have had every winter year abroad in the sun since he was born apart from ONE winter in 1997! Can you believe that? So for him, he is not used to very cold winters!! Lol I cant wait to hear his reaction! I'm cruel!
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rascal
PS and hubby and two other kids all wanted to be in OZ too!
Make it sound like its just me dont I?
well thats good that all want to be in the same place, as then in theory everyone should be happy...excpet for son in cold winter in Otago...you have told him what the winter is like there...havent you? (evil woman if you havent)

When do you go to Oz then?
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
well thats good that all want to be in the same place, as then in theory everyone should be happy...excpet for son in cold winter in Otago...you have told him what the winter is like there?

When do you go to Oz then?

Course I haven't!
Be after Xmas when job finishes here, so that fits in nicely with everything we gotta do first.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:13 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
well thats good that all want to be in the same place, as then in theory everyone should be happy...excpet for son in cold winter in Otago...you have told him what the winter is like there...havent you? (evil woman if you havent)

That will be why he is coming with his girlfriend.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by southerner
That will be why he is coming with his girlfriend.
Lol
Whatever are you thinking Southerner?
Teenage love eh?
She is training to be a Doctor, so she can practice on him!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:16 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Not in my opinion, No. I would have gladly taken the whole lot of us back to the Uk, but he wanted to stay, he wanted to study here. But get this...once he finishes his degree, he wants to move to Oz or Europe!
I am speechless with him!
Its called being a mother I think.

From what I understand of how much you dislike NZ, I'm really sorry that you decided to stay in NZ for 4 years, especially given what your son is now saying. What a waste of time. Hopefully there some long happy periods and great memories during that time. A huge and very sad lesson in life all the same. Why, as parents, do we not realise how fickle and potentially manipulative yet robust and adaptable our own children are?

Edit to say, having read on, really pleased you now have a happy 'ending'. Fingers crossed that you love Brisbane.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; May 23rd 2007 at 9:20 pm.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Just read this data and thought it was pretty hopeful to all those in a quandry about whether migrating to NZ is a good move.
I was just wondering the source of these statistics?
I've read "close to 70%" stay for at least five years according to this NZ immigration website (which puts it somewhere at the 60%ish range).
Of those that stay, 90% of them stay on for another 5 years.

http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealand...tOutcomes.html

The data varies widely according to who collated the data and how it was analyzed and how it is reported.

NZ is the only developed country with a "brain drain" problem.
I wonder how many Brits stay for a few years because they are doctors, researchers, etc. working here to make up the gap, but they eventually return and never meant to migrate permanently in the first place.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10114923

http://stuff.co.nz/4071772a11.html

If you've ever had to visit a doctor or hospital you will notice immediately how much of the staff is not from NZ.

Last edited by The Weezer; May 24th 2007 at 1:52 pm.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
From what I understand of how much you dislike NZ, I'm really sorry that you decided to stay in NZ for 4 years, especially given what your son is now saying. What a waste of time. Hopefully there some long happy periods and great memories during that time. A huge and very sad lesson in life all the same. Why, as parents, do we not realise how fickle and potentially manipulative yet robust and adaptable our own children are?

Edit to say, having read on, really pleased you now have a happy 'ending'. Fingers crossed that you love Brisbane.
Not had many happy memories here apart from the ones we had on holiday sad to say.
But alls well that ends well, we all knew when we went to OZ 2 yrs ago, we had made the wrong choice of country.
Still, cant look back, only forward.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:08 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
NZ is the only developed country with a "brain drain" problem.
You forgot Ireland, which has a similar tendency to export talent. The study included in the Herald suggesting that the quality of immgrants was less than emigrants was interesting... the student loan situation might be exaggerating this affect.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
You forgot Ireland, which has a similar tendency to export talent. The study included in the Herald suggesting that the quality of immgrants was less than emigrants was interesting... the student loan situation might be exaggerating this affect.
You're right. That was inaccurate. NZ is not the only country with a brain drain, but perhaps it has a slightly worse problem than others.

I believe one of the problems is that the students with the loans leave, and are not very good about paying the money back while they're away, or the repayment of the loan would be an incentive for them to never return, or at least not until retirement.
I've been surprised that NZ does not offer more in the way of government subsidized higher education. But then again, they don't even provide lunchrooms for public primary and secondary students. The poor dears have to huddle in the rain sometimes, and often don't have a place to take their lunch at table.

Last edited by The Weezer; May 24th 2007 at 3:00 pm.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I was just wondering the source of these statistics?
I've read "close to 70%" stay for at least five years according to this NZ immigration website (which puts it somewhere at the 60%ish range).

Actually, you're both wrong.
The figure is 80% after five years.

http://www.dol.govt.nz/\pdfs\Migrant...sm-from-NZ.pdf

Kip
Old May 24th 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kippers
Actually, you're both wrong.

Kip
I was not "wrong" in saying I read something and then quoting the source!
I did not put forth the numbers as definitive, only as an example of something I've read. I know well the pitfalls of relying on these kinds of statistics to give an accurate picture. There are too many variables that are not included in the statistics for that.

Last edited by The Weezer; May 24th 2007 at 2:43 pm.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, you're both [quoting the] wrong [statistics].

Kip
Old May 24th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just heard today that some Brit friends we met 3 yrs ago are now moving back to UK.
That has come as a shock as 18 months ago, they LOVED NZ. (apart from their son who didn't, still doesn't)
They kept quiet about it till now.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:59 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I dont think 90% is remotely likely from my experience of people coming and going in the last 4 years. Though I also know a lot of UK friends who can spend that long moaning about going, as I have, but time passes quickly and before you know it or have a plan, 5 years may well have passed. Lets face it, I have lived in horrible houses for 5 years in the UK, moaned about it, wanted better, but 5 years flies before finances allow. Not sure how that is an example of anything, except I did do that

Good luck in Oz...............I bet you'll love it! People always like to make us think that we are the ones who will never be happy, but I say we are the ones who dont accept the first choice is the only one! Keep on adventuring!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.