Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

More Scots on the Move.....

More Scots on the Move.....

Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Trish-n-McGill is a jewel in the roughTrish-n-McGill is a jewel in the roughTrish-n-McGill is a jewel in the roughTrish-n-McGill is a jewel in the rough
Default More Scots on the Move.....

Hi All,
Been reading the messages on the site for a week or so and thought it was about time we let ourselves be known. We're currently in Scotland but hoping to be in New Zealand within 18 months. I'm a secondary school teacher and am feeling a bit daunted at the thougt of having to fill in all the forms to be able to teach once we get there. McGill is an engineer and is hoping to get employment with his current company.
We've a long way to go but this is the first step on that way. Expect lots of questions as we bumble our way though everything!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Scots on the Move.....

Originally Posted by Trish-n-McGill
Hi All,
Been reading the messages on the site for a week or so and thought it was about time we let ourselves be known. We're currently in Scotland but hoping to be in New Zealand within 18 months. I'm a secondary school teacher and am feeling a bit daunted at the thougt of having to fill in all the forms to be able to teach once we get there. McGill is an engineer and is hoping to get employment with his current company.
We've a long way to go but this is the first step on that way. Expect lots of questions as we bumble our way though everything!!
Kia Ora to you all - Have you been to NZ before? Have you got an Idea on whereabouts you may end up or would like to end up? Have some Karma to get you started...
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bumble away. Welcome to the site and have some more karma.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Trish-n-McGill is a jewel in the roughTrish-n-McGill is a jewel in the roughTrish-n-McGill is a jewel in the roughTrish-n-McGill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Bumble away. Welcome to the site and have some more karma.
Thanks folks. It's just taken me five minutes to work out how to reply to this so Lord knows how long it'll take me to fill in all the forms we're going to need. I'm sure it will all become clearer with time. No, we haven't been to NZ (although McG has cousins there) we're just jumping in with both feet. We're tending toward North Island although location will depend to some extent on if he gets an offer of work anywhere in particular....
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:32 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief It's 2.20am in the UK, why aren't you asleep
(second thoughts don't answer THAT!!)

Welcome to B.E by the way, as you're already finding this place is very addictive and before you know it, will rule your life

Enjoy the journey that is immigration and sing out when you need the help

NOW GET TO BL**DY BED!!!!!!!:curse:
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Cool, the more of us the merrier over here IMHO!! Still looking for a good excuse to wear me kilt mind you!!

Its a great country here, you will find it home away from home at times, but its so different in other ways too, Wellington reminds me of Edinburgh in quite a lot of ways, the compact size and there are always things on, and quite a fantastic cafe culture here!

Good luck with everything, are you guys coming over on a work to residency visa or going all out for residency? Where in Scotland ya from??

If its not rude to ask, what age groups are you, any family, that will influence where you fancy staying I suspect.

Have fun!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:14 am
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice

Hi Trish n McGill,

If you end up with jobs in Wellington and don't mind commuting, Raumati Beach, Paraparaumu Beach and Waikanae are all good places to stay. Its great living beside the sea and being able to take a walk along the shore with the breeze blowing when the weather gets a bit hot and sticky. We're still getting used to the heat and feeling odd when we realise all this sunshine is happening in January. Anyway, welcome to the forum. I'm sure all your questions will be answered here, so ask away and good luck with the adventure.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Good grief It's 2.20am in the UK, why aren't you asleep
(second thoughts don't answer THAT!!)

Welcome to B.E by the way, as you're already finding this place is very addictive and before you know it, will rule your life

Enjoy the journey that is immigration and sing out when you need the help

NOW GET TO BL**DY BED!!!!!!!:curse:
I actually got up to make sandwiches for lunch! Last week I painted a door at 4.30 so it's not that bad! Thanks for offer of help - we'll be yelling before long, I've no doubt. (Trish)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scottish Family
Hi Trish n McGill,

If you end up with jobs in Wellington and don't mind commuting, Raumati Beach, Paraparaumu Beach and Waikanae are all good places to stay. Its great living beside the sea and being able to take a walk along the shore with the breeze blowing when the weather gets a bit hot and sticky. We're still getting used to the heat and feeling odd when we realise all this sunshine is happening in January. Anyway, welcome to the forum. I'm sure all your questions will be answered here, so ask away and good luck with the adventure.
Definitely, being near the sea is something we both fancy. Sunshine?? Oh yes, I remember.............. not a lot of that here at the moment. Doesn't it get cold in Wellington in the winter though?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:05 am
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice

Definitely, being near the sea is something we both fancy. Sunshine?? Oh yes, I remember.............. not a lot of that here at the moment. Doesn't it get cold in Wellington in the winter though?
Yes, is the short answer to that. Its not as dull and dreich though. One of the mums I spoke to said that she sent her kid to school with a hat, scarf and warm overtop with cagoul in the mornings but by mid-day it was warm enough for t shirts and her child would come home with all the warm clothing stuffed in the schoolbag. I've spoken to other expats who said last winter was considered bad by kiwi standards but that the expats didn't think it bad at all, in fact mild compared to what they were used to in the UK.

We arrived at the start of October, just in time for the changing of the seasons equinox winds. The last time I felt winds like that I was in South Uist in the Outer Hebrides (Western Isles) of Scotland. The land where the clothes on the washing line blow horizontal and pretty much stay that way. No-one told us about the equinox before we arrived, so that cold wind was definitely a shock to the system.

People have since told us that the weather we experienced then was unusual. I'm a bit sceptical though as the local radio station is called Wellington Breeze and their rugby team (I think?) is called the Hurricanes!!! So no smoke without fire.

Having said that, once that fortnight or so was over, the spring and summer weather has definitely been hot.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottish Family
Having said that, once that fortnight or so was over, the spring and summer weather has definitely been hot.
Especially the last 3 or 4 days which have been sooooo muggy!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Especially the last 3 or 4 days which have been sooooo muggy!!!
Thanks for that - it's certainly dreich here at the moment. Muggy I can do. Busy trying to fill in our EOI and find my birth certificate at the moment....
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that - it's certainly dreich here at the moment. Muggy I can do. Busy trying to fill in our EOI and find my birth certificate at the moment....
Good luck
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Trish
I'm splitting off your post re the EOI and moving it into a new thread for you on the Immigration forum.
It will attract more EOI type attention there.