Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

more people keep leaving NZ

more people keep leaving NZ

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:24 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: more people keep leaving NZ

Originally Posted by Grayling
...and of course there are no knives taken into NZ schools are there?

Here is something from today's papers:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6013...-in-knife-game

You are so busy finding fault with the UK that you are blind to things happening elsewhere.

As I have said before....you are in for an almighty shock
Hello Grayling wondered when you were going to pop in to say hello...
Shock....not so much as I do my research before hand....look before you leap eh.. mundane 'I love it here' posts aren't too much help, sometimes stimulation provides results.........you were saying.....
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:57 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25
I only have Auckland to go on, but there in the out of hours medical centre, if anyone is waiting longer than an hour they draft in another doctor, the facilities are amazing and my son has access to brilliant medical people, MRI's etc., with very short time to wait i.e. days, that just would not happen in the UK.
but how much do you pay for after hours care for your son, paying often helps to tempt doctors from their beds?

Free after hours care will be extended to under sixes from July next year, willl you still afford to pay when he reaches seven?

“In some areas of the country the cost of after hours care is unaffordable for many families and it is of real concern that children needing care may be missing out. It is essential that children requiring medical treatment have access to medical care before their illness becomes so severe they need to go to the emergency department.”
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE111...nder-sixes.htm

As for schooling my sons having access to schooling that they would never have even seen in the UK, I accept many people do not think the education is good enough for their kids, personal choice and all that, but in my experience it has been light years ahead of the UK's in terms of day to day quality.
My children have been educated in all three countries now - New Zealand, the UK and Australia.

Experience has taught me that a school is only as good as the teachers who work in it and the ethos they work under. All three countries have their good and bad schools and it's impossible to generalise about the standards in any of them. None of the countries are "light years ahead" of the others, that's ridiculous. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

What does matter is having a stable and happy workforce of teachers, if they're working under pressure in crappy, overcrowded classrooms with the minimum of resources the children are going to suffer, regardless of where you are.

You'll realise this more as yours get older and go through high school that it's the preparation for the world of work that separates the wheat from the chaff: good career counselling and the widest possible choice of subjects and/or skills training so that they can reach their full potential, becoming useful citizens of the world and caring, compassionate adults. May all that be open to your little ones.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:04 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
but how much do you pay for after hours care for your son, paying often helps to tempt doctors from their beds?

Free after hours care will be extended to under sixes from July next year, willl you still afford to pay when he reaches seven?

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE111...nder-sixes.htm

My children have been educated in all three countries now - New Zealand, the UK and Australia.

Experience has taught me that a school is only as good as the teachers who work in it and the ethos they work under. All three countries have their good and bad schools and it's impossible to generalise about the standards in any of them. None of the countries are "light years ahead" of the others, that's ridiculous. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

What does matter is having a stable and happy workforce of teachers, if they're working under pressure in crappy, overcrowded classrooms with the minimum of resources the children are going to suffer, regardless of where you are.

You'll realise this more as yours get older and go through high school that it's the preparation for the world of work that separates the wheat from the chaff: good career counselling and the widest possible choice of subjects and/or skills training so that they can reach their full potential, becoming useful citizens of the world and caring, compassionate adults. May all that be open to your little ones.
Beautifully put.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:09 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The school my eldest is at in Auckland does have the option of Cambridge or NCEA, my youngest son's school has International Baccalaureate.
You're talking about a school like Mcleans College? How will he and you react if he's not streamed for the Cambridge examinations because there's a limited number of places and he doesn't make the cut? Will you be happy for him to do the NCEA, with all its faults?

As for the IB, that is not without its problems even the Middle Years program can be stifling for free thinkers and the range and combination of subjects is very limited. Too process driven and too much box ticking, but that's just my opinion.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sheene
Beautifully put.
gosh, thank you
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

My sons treatment = a lot of it free! Lots of the scans, all the consultants were all free as it was ACC related. The scans we did pay for were $30 as I recall i.e. x-ray's.

Treatment in a neurology related area, all free and exceptional. Of course what about the physio's that are self referred and cost $10 per visit for a really high level of treatment.

As for paying as an adult, personally I think they should charge an amount for doctors in the UK, it may focus people on keeping the doctors free of people with sniffly noses and trying some self help first. An initial doctors visit was $60, however a prescription was $3.50 and they would give you tablets for a lifetime, subsequent visits were a lot less if needed.

My son is not doing Cambridge, NCEA is the way for him to go and probably do something more vocational. Personally, as long as he is happy, achieves his potential and has a thoroughly rewarding life then I will be more than happy.

Agree about teachers being overworked and overcrowded conditions, and in my experience that was exactly what it was in the UK, it certainly isn't like that in my experience in NZ.

Of course this is all very subjective, but measuring people based purely on academic prowess and then on what type of academia is not something I subscribe to.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:30 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DC10
I wonder (and that's a dangerous thing here) if BEVS took you to mean that folk in that particular category could go and top themselves. I sort of took it that way the first time.
Huh? Because I'm bound to say that aren't I?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Shock....not so much as I do my research before hand....look before you leap eh.. mundane 'I love it here' posts aren't too much help, sometimes stimulation provides results.........you were saying.....
....but 'research' should involve a bit more than looking for bad news and problems in the UK in order to justify a move across the world
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:42 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle
I'm not a troll.

I signed up here in January, dip in and out occasionally, but the lack of positivity means I rarely stay for long.

I happen to love living in NZ, which must be a rarity.
It's a rarity for posters on BE, I agree, but where I live (Cambridge) I'm forever bumping into happy expats- I think they'e just not that bothered about chewing the fat on a forum.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Interesting theory!! Be interested to know what its based on?

Australia has a very complex system of visas, based on skills or family relationships, and to say the ANYONE can get in just isn't true,
Pollyana- waikatoguy's a Kiwi, so was prolly just thinking from Kiwi perspective: Have blue passport, can hop ditch. I know it's more complicated than that for Kiwis in reality but in practice most don't worry about visas etc (rightly or wrongly- personally I wouldn't want to live in Oz long term on a NZ passport).

That is not an answer - just an evasion of the question. People don't move just because they can, there is always a reason / reasons. Just because we are not quite sure of what they are, does not mean they do not exist.
It's usually a complex interplay of push and pull factors as well as personality and outlook. Given some folk love Britain, some hate it, some love NZ, some hate it, some love Oz, some hate it etc, it must be more subjective than people are prepared to concede.

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle
I love NZ but I honestly don't think I could live outside Auckland. For a start, my line of work wouldn't allow it, but I'd also find it too parochial in the sticks.
Originally Posted by love30stm
im sure Auckland or Wellington i would love im a city girl at heart, hence NZ is not doing it for me
I suspect living outside of Auckland would be tough for any city person really and actually lots of city people find Auckland lacking the big city vibe they enjoy. I've always thought Australia better for the hardcore urban dweller

You have to remember that in many of the top NZ schools, there are a huge number of UK teachers - wonder why that is?
Because teaching is a portable profession and our newly qualified Kiwi teachers often head overseas leaving a need gap that is then well filled by UK trained teachers who are looking for a change from the tell 'em and test 'em approach of the UK and want to work in a system that is more holistic, more creative and gives them more autonomy and time to teach. Shame is, I think that is becoming increasingly less descriptive of teaching and education in NZ with NS etc, etc.

No, it is a state school, as I said earlier. And Essex is not that affluent, more effluent. Remember that Grammar Schools in the UK are as they are supposed to be - selective academically - not so with NZ Grammar Schools, which are not Grammar Schools at all, being selective mainly on the prosperity of the parents.
As if 'selectively academic' somehow equates with equal opportunities for low-SES kids to attend! Bottom line is the higher up the SES scale you are, the more likely you are to succeed academically and go to Oxbridge, regardless of "innate" intelligence, so academic selection is just SES selection by another name.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:52 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
...and of course there are no knives taken into NZ schools are there?

Here is something from today's papers:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6013...-in-knife-game

You are so busy finding fault with the UK that you are blind to things happening elsewhere.

As I have said before....you are in for an almighty shock

oh Lord! disturbing! meaning its not that bad

Last edited by love30stm; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:02 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
As for the IB, that is not without its problems even the Middle Years program can be stifling for free thinkers and the range and combination of subjects is very limited. Too process driven and too much box ticking, but that's just my opinion.
Not sure we are on the same string with regards to IB here as the school my youngest goes to is not about process and is all about problem solving and helping the kids research and find their own solutions using information sources at hand.

Show me a system without problems, or that suits everyone and I'll show you a lie
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:56 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

That knife story slightly made me laugh- silly boys!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
That knife story slightly made me laugh- silly boys!
Yeah it did make me smile too, as it is hardly sinister knife crime and could happen at any location, can't believe that would make the news at all.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:02 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it did make me smile too, as it is hardly sinister knife crime and could happen at any location, can't believe that would make the news at all.
your right and must admit i didnt really read properly at first

its hardly terrible knife crime is it???
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:22 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

Because teaching is a portable profession and our newly qualified Kiwi teachers often head overseas leaving a need gap that is then well filled by UK trained teachers who are looking for a change from the tell 'em and test 'em approach of the UK and want to work in a system that is more holistic, more creative and gives them more autonomy and time to teach. Shame is, I think that is becoming increasingly less descriptive of teaching and education in NZ with NS etc, etc.

As if 'selectively academic' somehow equates with equal opportunities for low-SES kids to attend! Bottom line is the higher up the SES scale you are, the more likely you are to succeed academically and go to Oxbridge, regardless of "innate" intelligence, so academic selection is just SES selection by another name.
Your generalisations are quite remarkable in their convenience to prove your argument. So, teachers leave the UK because they want to work in the NZ Education system

In a State selective school, by definition, you pass the entrance examination on ability alone, nothing else. If other factors, such as parental interest and encouragement come into play, which is more prevalent within certain sections of society, then that is not the fault of the system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.