Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

more people keep leaving NZ

more people keep leaving NZ

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:22 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: more people keep leaving NZ

Originally Posted by Genesis
For me the lovely neighbourhood, the detatched house with a pool and a garage all existed in the Uk but I could not get anywhere near them with what I had in the UK moneywise. And that is just the start of it. A good life is way more about a nice house and a good neighbourhood. NZ is very unpopulous..one of the things that the Uk did not have was a small population. I really wanted to live somewhere like NZ with a big landmass and a tiny population. I wanted a different life. I certainly got that!!!
Don't get me wrong, the situation is similar for me, it is just that occasionally I wonder where I would have been now had I stayed - will never know. You are right, you do get used to the space, and if returning, then it would certainly be to a part of the UK less densely populated.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Point of Order here, what about members such as Expat Kiwi and Kiwilass et al, are they British? I am with you on the exclusion of Johnny Foreigner Kiwis masquerading as Brits. Perhaps BE should have a more thorough vetting of members?
BE has many members who aren't British, and there is no requirement to be British in order to join the forum In fact if we didn't have the viewpoint of people from other backgrounds it would be a far more boring place

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:35 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:32 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BE has many members who aren't British, and there is no requirement to be ritish in order to join the forum In fact if we didn't have the viewpoint of people from other backgrounds it would Bbe a far more boring place
I thought it was Called BRITISH expats??????
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:35 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Don't get me wrong, the situation is similar for me, it is just that occasionally I wonder where I would have been now had I stayed - will never know. You are right, you do get used to the space, and if returning, then it would certainly be to a part of the UK less densely populated.
We have seriously considered the less populated areas, been,studied and had a good look see. However found out that these places are crammed full in the summer and to travel out of them means re joining the over taxed road network.
If you are content to stay house/village bound then this is still an option.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Although the common perception is one of lots of space here, I don't find that at times. Looking at all those houses crammed down those driveways and so close up together is somethilng I've never seen before. There's not much privacy there or much of a back garden. It's also frustratilng that you can't drive down roads at right-hand corners as they are mostly cul-de-sacs and a cheap way to avoid building more side roads. Also, in day time the roads are busy and not what you would except for a place with little population. Again, partly because there are few side roads.

However, even in Auckland it can feel pretty dead in the evening.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BE has many members who aren't British, and there is no requirement to be British in order to join the forum In fact if we didn't have the viewpoint of people from other backgrounds it would be a far more boring place
I don't think that is what was meant - it is the people who pretend to be British that is the problem.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

And in my experience, having worked in both, that is utter nonsense.
I won't rise to the bait, however this is my experience as a parent of schools in a good area in the UK and a good area in Auckland, therefore it is not your place to call it utter nonsense.

I am not talking necessarily about academics I am talking about the environment, pastoral care received and other options that would not happen in the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Robbo25
I won't rise to the bait, however this is my experience as a parent of schools in a good area in the UK and a good area in Auckland, therefore it is not your place to call it utter nonsense.

I am not talking necessarily about academics I am talking about the environment, pastoral care received and other options that would not happen in the UK.
And you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. Just a question - if Auckland Schools are 'light years ahead' of the UK, why are they adopting the Cambridge Examinations system? I have worked in the top state school in Auckland, and the top state school in the UK - academically they are indeed light years apart - the school in the UK used to get on average between 10 and 20 through to Oxbridge each year - the standards were incredibly high. Facilities wise - about the same, Pastoral care - UK definitely much better. You have to remember that in many of the top NZ schools, there are a huge number of UK teachers - wonder why that is?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

You have to remember that in many of the top NZ schools, there are a huge number of UK teachers - wonder why that is?
Because they grow tired of refereeing the warzones that pass for many urban classrooms in the UK?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by DC10
Because they grow tired of refereeing the warzones that pass for many urban classrooms in the UK?
Have you experienced any of the schools in South Auckland?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:13 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

A hell of a lot of UK schools have been using metal detectors to detect knives for quite a while.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:16 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Right. Not a lot of support there if you don't mind my saying so.
Actually, I do. That really hurts. I've been nothing but supportive to expats and have been out of my way to help them in my area and beyond.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I could be suffering a UK-centric news view, but I am not aware of Kiwi school students murdering each other or their teachers. Such events were a fairly regular story during my eight years in England
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Actually, I do. That really hurts. I've been nothing but supportive to expats and have been out of my way to help them in my area and beyond.
I wonder (and that's a dangerous thing here) if BEVS took you to mean that folk in that particular category could go and top themselves. I sort of took it that way the first time.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...o-a-day-survey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.