Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

more people keep leaving NZ

more people keep leaving NZ

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: more people keep leaving NZ

Ah! So it wasn't a wee jokey-wokey then. It was a pop .

Note to self : Must sound more grateful or it will be taken all wrong.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:40 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Yeah, Bojangles was sitting in her home in the UK, in a rewarding job, enjoying her unique British 'sense of humour' when she saw a misleading advertisement on the telly telling her that NZ was 100% pure. The rest, as they say, is history.
Interesting line of argument. This is the current government advertising for New Zealand, it starts with an open admission that it's biased.

What's Life Like in New Zealand?

Fantastic - of course we're biased - but don't take our word for it, click here to read what recent migrants think. Or, check out our recent ranking as the third best country in the world to live in!

With a temperate climate, and stunning variations in our geography - all surrounded by the Pacific and Tasman Oceans – people in New Zealand happily lead an outdoor life. Knowing that you'll spend far less time commuting in New Zealand than in most world cities, you'll also enjoy far more time with your friends and family. No matter where you live in New Zealand, for instance, you are probably less than an hour from the ocean, and less than 4 hours from a ski field. Which means on the same day you can mountain bike, snowboard and surf!

At the same time, cafe society and cultural activities rival those anywhere. New Zealand has produced some of the world's top opera singers, musicians, writers, painters - all of whom are easily accessible for your enjoyment. New Zealand cuisine and regional wineries are well-regarded internationally - so you'll have plenty to tempt your taste buds.

With just over 4 million people living in New Zealand, it's easy to find - or get away from - the crowd. So if your preference is access to big-city shopping, check out Auckland (the largest city with over 1.5 million residents), Christchurch, Wellington (the capital) or Dunedin. But one of the joys of New Zealand is that you can also choose to live a more rural lifestyle, and still live within an hour's drive of the centre of any of these cities. Or you can choose to settle in the country - there's plenty of room for expansion here!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:53 am
`

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Somehow I've got to ween myself off this addictive forum.
Don't be silly. You're good for the place. It makes for diversity & balance. Another point of view if you will

Ok ... I'm not posting anything until at least Christmas ... I've decided. I'll come back and wish all the Brit Expats a Merry Christmas
Right. That's just a few weeks AWOL so that's allowed I s'pose. You do need a Christmas avatar though. A nice Kiwiana one would be the ticket.

Oh - and I don't not enjoy my life. That's an assumption on your part based on posts? I'm ambiguous about this country but am happy enough. We have some lovely friends that I really care about and we've had some quite good times. Still - We may stay or we may go.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Isn't that what I said??

Re skilled people. Because 43% of employers are concerned, that doesn't mean there is reason to be concerned. The maths are quite simple. NZ lost 100 people last year. All those coming in (except family criteria and those coming from Australia) are skilled, by definition of the criteria to get in. All those leaving are not skilled (ie anyone can get into Australia)
Interesting theory!! Be interested to know what its based on?

Australia has a very complex system of visas, based on skills or family relationships, and to say the ANYONE can get in just isn't true, as we see every day on the Aus Immi forum. Even if someone meets the basic critieria they still need to pass medical and character checks.
www.immi.gov.au has more details on every visa.

New Zealand citizens do not need to qualify for a visa per se, but generally they do not have permanent resident status as a result of being a citizen of NZ - for exceptions see http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1162.pdf
Living here as a NZ citizen while not holding Aus PR or citizenship is do-able but is not secure as the rules could change at any time.

Being only a permanent resident in New Zealand doesn't give anyone special access rights to Australia, they need to qualify for a visa like anyone else, otherwise they can't move here.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696629
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652306
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705233

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 5:42 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:49 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I am getting so over these discussions ...

If you don't like NZ and want to move to Oz and can then by all means do.
If you don't like NZ and want to move back to the UK and can then by all means do.
If you don't like NZ and want to move abroad but can't, then I can't suggest a solution, hopefully you can find one.

I don't feel I was mis-sold a move to NZ 5 years ago. Since then I am now single, unemployed and my assets are about to be halved in my divorce.

I still love NZ.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:03 am
`

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

If you don't like NZ and want to move to Oz and can then by all means do.
If you don't like NZ and want to move back to the UK and can then by all means do.
I'm fine with both these Am Loo

If you don't like NZ and want to move abroad but can't, then I can't suggest a solution, hopefully you can find one.
Right. Not a lot of support there if you don't mind my saying so.

I don't feel I was mis-sold a move to NZ 5 years ago
Since then I am now single, unemployed and my assets are about to be halved in my divorce..
I know m'love. You came on a partnership visa with a Kiwi & have had a very tough year or so. Please understand that it's not what or why some of us came .

I still love NZ.
OK.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:13 am

I didn't come on a partnership visa, I came with PR.

I can't offer a solution to anyone who is "stuck" here, they have to solve that or try to themselves. Not being unsupportive, just stating the obvious.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:28 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I am getting so over these discussions ...
"If you don't like NZ and want to move to Oz and can then by all means do."

how about:

If you don't like these discussions and want to join a different one, then by all means do.

I actually think both of those statements are quite rude, and are but a hairs breadth from 'if you don't like it, go'

I really feel for anyone who thinks they have made the wrong choice, or who would like to leave but can not, for whatever reasons. If joining in discussions like these helps in any way then it has to be 'a good thing'. From what I can gather, most places in the world at the moment are pretty dire financially, so any knee-jerk reaction to leave NZ on that basis could be foolish. Jobs are a different matter, as that is part of who we are, and any unfulfillment there would be quite debilitating, and perhaps a reason for at least exploring the possibilities.

Last edited by sheene; Nov 23rd 2011 at 6:31 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Are you saying that you're stuck there until the kids leave home.

Does Kate ever wonder if her career would be more fruitful outside of NZ?
I'm not stuck anywhere. We have a lifestyle we could only dream of in the Uk. I have many of the things I have always wanted right here in NZ..some of the things I thought I would never, ever have. And no I don't think Kate believes her career could be better anywhere else..even if it could we are all content here...way more than uncontent. I utterly love where I live and the house and garden I live in and always appreciate what I have here, even when I am whinging or ranting about the negative aspects of life in NZ. As for 15 years time I hope to follow my kids around the world if they can bear us. I love them dearly and hope and long to spend time wit them as adults. If they all stay in NZ why would I go anywhere else?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Genesis
I'm not stuck anywhere. We have a lifestyle we could only dream of in the Uk. I have many of the things I have always wanted right here in NZ..some of the things I thought I would never, ever have. And no I don't think Kate believes her career could be better anywhere else..even if it could we are all content here...way more than uncontent. I utterly love where I live and the house and garden I live in and always appreciate what I have here, even when I am whinging or ranting about the negative aspects of life in NZ. As for 15 years time I hope to follow my kids around the world if they can bear us. I love them dearly and hope and long to spend time wit them as adults. If they all stay in NZ why would I go anywhere else?
I couldn't say that what I have now I could have only dreamed about in the UK - because I wasn't there, and anything could have happened.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default More people keep leaving NZ

I do not think the current trend of leaving NZ is peculiar to NZ.

Indeed on the jolly old BBC website the current top story is this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15799571

Thousands of Britons emigrate to Australia every year in search of a better life, but now more and more are deciding Down Under is not for them and returning home. The same trend seems to be happening to Australians deserting the UK. Why?

People are mobile.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:45 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More people keep leaving NZ

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I do not think the current trend of leaving NZ is peculiar to NZ.

Indeed on the jolly old BBC website the current top story is this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15799571

Thousands of Britons emigrate to Australia every year in search of a better life, but now more and more are deciding Down Under is not for them and returning home. The same trend seems to be happening to Australians deserting the UK. Why?

People are mobile.
Living on an island that has a population of 65 million (known) I think you are spot on...... Only sensible post in the last 4 pages...
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Living on an island that has a population of 65 million (known) I think you are spot on...... Only sensible post in the last 4 pages...
Including yours?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:50 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Including yours?
Absolutely.......
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by sheene
I actually think both of those statements are quite rude, and are but a hairs breadth from 'if you don't like it, go'
Gosh, is that how it comes across? I don't think in over 5 years of posting here I've ever said that to anyone ... I hope that's not how it's come across. I apologise if that's how it has. I'll get me coat ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.