British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Monthly family expenses - Food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/monthly-family-expenses-food-684083/)

msi geek Sep 4th 2010 8:04 pm

Monthly family expenses - Food

Generally , monthly family expenses on food in NZ is regarded more expensive than UK & Europe because high GST and import levies.

What is the average monthly family expenses on food in NZ currently (year 2010)?

Persephone Sep 4th 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Monthly family expenses - Food

I've voted but you need to specify cost per person. Is this for a family with children or just a couple?
We spend $100-120 a week on food,household products and occasional toiletries. That is for 2 adults only, one of which only rarely drinks wine or beer [and it's not me!!]

msi geek Sep 5th 2010 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8826634)
I've voted but you need to specify cost per person. Is this for a family with children or just a couple?
We spend $100-120 a week on food,household products and occasional toiletries. That is for 2 adults only, one of which only rarely drinks wine or beer [and it's not me!!]

On a trip to UK & Germany, found that the food items were considerably cheaper than NZ

Same Subway sandwich in NZ: NZD $6.5
in UK GBP £1.99p

UK is definitely cheaper than NZ is terms of cost of food - one single person may not need to spend more than GBP £1000/month.

In NZ, even an average meal in restaurant costs NZD $40-50

Bo-Jangles Sep 5th 2010 5:19 am

The incremental steps in the poll are far too wide to offer any meaningful information. There's a HUGE difference between $500 and $1000 per month, we spend over $500 but nowhere near $1000. Actually spend on average $600 per month for two peeps.

Newfies Sep 5th 2010 6:49 am

Cambell live did a little bit of reseach journalism a few weeks back. It compared 17 product prices from countries around the world, Auckland London Sydney and I cant remeber where else.

Of the 17 products which included a McDonalds meal, cheese, bread, wine, fizzy drinks etc. New Zealand was chepest for 9 of the 17 products. Not bad you would think!

It did however also compare prices of wages and New Zealand on average earned less than other countries for similar/same jobs noting that on average our Australian counterparts earnd $500 more per WEEK than us. How unfair :frown:

So although NZ appears to be cheaper when you are compaing prices like for like the wages are not the same.

pricklykina Sep 5th 2010 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 8826924)
The incremental steps in the poll are far too wide to offer any meaningful information. There's a HUGE difference between $500 and $1000 per month, we spend over $500 but nowhere near $1000. Actually spend on average $600 per month for two peeps.

Agree there.
I spend around 220 a fortnight but that includes cleaning stuff and cat food plus some toilettries etc.
I spend 30 a week at the market so 560 all up...no where near a thousand but over the 500 threshold

Oh and that is for two adults, a primary schooler, one cat and two guinea pigs

Charismatic Sep 5th 2010 12:15 pm

Is wine included or not, I’m confused :unsure:.

pricklykina Sep 5th 2010 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8827458)
Is wine included or not, I’m confused :unsure:.

My supermarket doesn't sell alcohol and as a consequence I've pretty much stopped drinking. A tragedy.

Charismatic Sep 5th 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 8827463)
My supermarket doesn't sell alcohol and as a consequence I've pretty much stopped drinking. A tragedy.

I'm researching bulk buying to save money :rofl:. I need my therapy after a long day* and I seek it in liquid form.

*Or before/during.

squarepants Sep 6th 2010 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 8826436)
Generally , monthly family expenses on food in NZ is regarded more expensive than UK & Europe because high GST and import levies.

What is the average monthly family expenses on food in NZ currently (year 2010)?

We spend about $180 a week. There are 2 adults, a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old who eats like a 15 year old boy.

We don't really buy meat other than ham for lunches and the odd pack of sausages if they look nice and they're on offer. We buy home kill pork or lamb. One 50kg free range pig butchered and ready for the freezer was $250.

We're very careful and buy what's on offer, and we make a lot from scratch. There isn't really any incentive to buying in bulk unless warehouse is having a special on washing powder or cat biscuits. Today for example, the large value pack of toothpaste was more expensive per ml than the smaller tubes of the same brand. (Pack n Save)

We usually spend $150 in the supermarket on the usual, then the rest is a top up with milk, bread and fruit during the week.

We find that it's the fresh fruit and veg that really pushes up the cost of food.
Pack and Save today:
Auberbine - $6
Cucumber - $6
Grapes - $6
Broccoli - $220 per head
Capsicum/pepper - $225

My youngest can finish a bag of grapes before we've even walked to the car and it can cost $25 just to put a salad for 4 on the table - and that's basic. Start going wild with olives, fetta or haloumi - and I'd be selling jewellery on trademe to fund it :eek:

We also miss fresh fish, we used to eat Salmon 2 or 3 times a week in UK - but we just can't afford it here. I do buy the smoked salmon trimmings at $6 for a small pack every now and again. But youngest loves it in scrambled egg so it goes in a single meal for him.

I have to admit to really missing Lidl, we used to live in Holland and it was our main supermarket. We got used to just filling the trolley with fresh fruit/salad/veg and the cheeses/hams and bread. That's the stuff which is really expensive out here.

The weather is warming up though and after a little success last year we've planted a strawberry bed, a salad garden and a full on veggie garden. Hopefully - it'll go a long way to reducing our bills in the summer months. I've also prepared for a major jam and pickle/preserve marathon for when the gluts in soft fruit happen later in the year.

CarolineSwan Sep 6th 2010 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 8827463)

Unfortunatly its illegal to sell sprits in a supermarket :( but normally lots of liquor stores around for that

CarolineSwan Sep 6th 2010 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by squarepants (Post 8830100)
We spend about $180 a week. There are 2 adults, a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old who eats like a 15 year old boy.

We don't really buy meat other than ham for lunches and the odd pack of sausages if they look nice and they're on offer. We buy home kill pork or lamb. One 50kg free range pig butchered and ready for the freezer was $250.

We're very careful and buy what's on offer, and we make a lot from scratch. There isn't really any incentive to buying in bulk unless warehouse is having a special on washing powder or cat biscuits. Today for example, the large value pack of toothpaste was more expensive per ml than the smaller tubes of the same brand. (Pack n Save)

We usually spend $150 in the supermarket on the usual, then the rest is a top up with milk, bread and fruit during the week.

We find that it's the fresh fruit and veg that really pushes up the cost of food.
Pack and Save today:
Auberbine - $6
Cucumber - $6
Grapes - $6
Broccoli - $220 per head
Capsicum/pepper - $225

My youngest can finish a bag of grapes before we've even walked to the car and it can cost $25 just to put a salad for 4 on the table - and that's basic. Start going wild with olives, fetta or haloumi - and I'd be selling jewellery on trademe to fund it :eek:

We also miss fresh fish, we used to eat Salmon 2 or 3 times a week in UK - but we just can't afford it here. I do buy the smoked salmon trimmings at $6 for a small pack every now and again. But youngest loves it in scrambled egg so it goes in a single meal for him.

I have to admit to really missing Lidl, we used to live in Holland and it was our main supermarket. We got used to just filling the trolley with fresh fruit/salad/veg and the cheeses/hams and bread. That's the stuff which is really expensive out here.

The weather is warming up though and after a little success last year we've planted a strawberry bed, a salad garden and a full on veggie garden. Hopefully - it'll go a long way to reducing our bills in the summer months. I've also prepared for a major jam and pickle/preserve marathon for when the gluts in soft fruit happen later in the year.

OMG where are you living?? a cucumber in NP is normally $2-$3 we could put a salad on the table for $10 for 3 of us and most of that goes in the bin :( we live on salads through the summer and think they are really cheap!

CarolineSwan Sep 6th 2010 10:43 pm

I clecked 1000 +
We average around $250 a week sometimes $170 sometimes $300?? but it all depends on what i buy, someweeks we need heaps of cleaning stuff, toiletries etc other times we dont, also if i see a toiletry on special that we use or washingpowder etc i buy tons of it to put in cupboard

We are normally around $90-$100 for all our meat and veges/fruit in new world then i go to pac and save for all the tins/rabbit food/WINE sauces etc

Normally through the week i top up with bread/milk

I really think this is a fine amount to spend, i used to be 170 quid a week in asda

BEVS Sep 6th 2010 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 8830565)
we could put a salad on the table for $10 for 3 of us and most of that goes in the bin!

Get a couple of hens. You can feed them the scraps and they will give you eggs.

CarolineSwan Sep 6th 2010 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8830572)
Get a couple of hens. You can feed them the scraps and they will give you eggs.

I wish but a covenent of our street is no livestock!!!
I know i should put the left overs in the fridge but it just gets soggy and sometimes it does get all eaten