Monthly Book Club

Old May 4th 2009, 10:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Monthly Book Club

So, whether you are in NZ or looking to come here, I thought we could have a thread on NZ books. Be they about NZ or by NZ authors?

So for May, I'm suggesting The Bone People by Kerri Hulme, a reclusive NZ author. Don't be put off by the size of the book or the opening couple of chapters. It is one of those novels that needs a little perseverance to get in to. Don't do what I did and "assume" the Maori translation - there is actually a glossary at the back!

For the readers on the site why not have a go this month? At the end of May we'll "discuss"!

"Winner of the Booker Prize in 1985, "The Bone People" is the story of Kerewin, a despairing part-Maori artist who is convinced that her solitary life is the only way to face the world. Her cocoon is rudely blown away by the sudden arrival during a rainstorm of Simon, a mute six-year-old whose past seems to hold some terrible trauma. In his wake comes his foster-father Joe, a Maori factory worker with a nasty temper. The narrative unravels to reveal the truths that lie behind these three characters, and in so doing displays itself as a huge, ambitious work that tackles the clash between Maori and European characters in beautiful prose of a heartrending poignancy. 'In this novel, New Zealand's people, its heritage and landscape are conjured up with uncanny poetry and perceptiveness.' - "Sunday Times."
Attached Thumbnails Monthly Book Club-bone-people.jpg  

Last edited by Am Loolah; May 4th 2009 at 10:54 am.
Old May 4th 2009, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monthly Book Club

oo! ace idea... though i suspect reading will be even more of a luxury than usual this month!! haven't read this since 1987 when a school friend bought it for my birthday (she got me the windeater later too!) still got it somewhere, so will try and dig it out to join in!
Old May 5th 2009, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Stoof
oo! ace idea... though i suspect reading will be even more of a luxury than usual this month!! haven't read this since 1987 when a school friend bought it for my birthday (she got me the windeater later too!) still got it somewhere, so will try and dig it out to join in!
Just you and me then Stoof!
Old May 5th 2009, 4:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nope. I've already read it . I'll wait to see what you think once your noses are out of the pages.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Nope. I've already read it . I'll wait to see what you think once your noses are out of the pages.
I've read it too - but think I would highly recommend it to others. Any other Kiwi literature you'd recommend BEVS here?
Old May 5th 2009, 9:27 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Just you and me then Stoof!

I'll pop along to the library tomorrow Miss
Old May 7th 2009, 1:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Monthly Book Club

Anyway no New Zealand literary thread should pass without mentioning Barry Crump. I think he would be best described as Hunter S. Thompson but without being as clever, innovative, interesting, talented or witty…but otherwise like peas in a pod .

But I still wouldn’t recommend reading his books.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
So, whether you are in NZ or looking to come here, I thought we could have a thread on NZ books. Be they about NZ or by NZ authors?

So for May, I'm suggesting The Bone People by Kerri Hulme, a reclusive NZ author. Don't be put off by the size of the book or the opening couple of chapters. It is one of those novels that needs a little perseverance to get in to. Don't do what I did and "assume" the Maori translation - there is actually a glossary at the back!

For the readers on the site why not have a go this month? At the end of May we'll "discuss"!

"Winner of the Booker Prize in 1985, "The Bone People" is the story of Kerewin, a despairing part-Maori artist who is convinced that her solitary life is the only way to face the world. Her cocoon is rudely blown away by the sudden arrival during a rainstorm of Simon, a mute six-year-old whose past seems to hold some terrible trauma. In his wake comes his foster-father Joe, a Maori factory worker with a nasty temper. The narrative unravels to reveal the truths that lie behind these three characters, and in so doing displays itself as a huge, ambitious work that tackles the clash between Maori and European characters in beautiful prose of a heartrending poignancy. 'In this novel, New Zealand's people, its heritage and landscape are conjured up with uncanny poetry and perceptiveness.' - "Sunday Times."
I'll give it a go
Old May 7th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

I'll try and get it from the library here, otherwise will look in the charity shops or wait until I finally set foot for good
Old May 8th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
I'll try and get it from the library here, otherwise will look in the charity shops or wait until I finally set foot for good
You can get it off Amazon market place for a penny plus postage! Bargain
Old May 8th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by j19fmm
You can get it off Amazon market place for a penny plus postage! Bargain
Cheers j19fmm, will take a look.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join if I can find the book here in time. Will look around in bookshops.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:19 am
`

Originally Posted by Mgee
I'll join if I can find the book here in time. Will look around in bookshops.

when are you leaving?
I am happy to post to you. Let me know via PM.

Mail from NZ to everywhere isusually around ten days.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:56 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
when are you leaving?
I am happy to post to you. Let me know via PM.

Mail from NZ to everywhere isusually around ten days.
If anyone wants reasonably priced books (far cheaper than over here!) delivered to NZ post free then

www.thebookdepository.co.uk

gives good service and is often cheaper than amazon, even without freight.
They must be associated with amazon though....maybe got some agreement on hits to the bigger site.

Not got time to read, too much posting to do........been on a Terry Pratchet for 3 months now, used to take me 8-10 hours! Oh well..........
Old May 11th 2009, 2:34 am
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Anyway no New Zealand literary thread should pass without mentioning Barry Crump. I

But I still wouldn’t recommend reading his books.
I tried this once. He is indeed ,a good keen man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.