Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Money.....will we have enough for lots of shoes...?

Money.....will we have enough for lots of shoes...?

Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:16 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money.....will we have enough for lots of shoes...?

Originally Posted by Genesis
I am afraid even with a $265k mortgage you will struggle I fear. I note you have 50k GBP as a deposit and at $2.7 exchange that will drop the $400k house costs to $265k. At say 7% (interest only) that will be C$1550 per month. Monthly bills for the average household and ins. for 2 cars excluding petrol, food and any breakdowns are in the region of $1000 per month...not including any HP for the cars..one assumes you will own them outright. Food will be another $1k per month. So thats $3550 per month plus petrol plus incidentals. Alas take home of $55k is only around $3400 per month after tax. You really need to do the figures sooooooooooooooooo carefully. There is nothing worse than emigrating and being utterly on the bones of your arse. Its just not worth it IMO. Good luck.
We were utterly on the bones of our arses on $10K more than that servicing a mortgage of similar size. You need to have a salary considerably over $50K or have both of you earning to enjoy life with that sort of mortgage, imo.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

shopperholic has a spectacular aura aboutshopperholic has a spectacular aura aboutshopperholic has a spectacular aura about

To be honest with you we struggle finacially here so i think i would rather struggle there near the beach...where we can do things at weekends that dont cost lots of money unlike here..
If we just have hubbys wage then yes it would be hard but with me working to we would be ok??
My husbands wage would just be a starting wage so we wouldnt be skint forever...
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:28 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shopperholic
To be honest with you we struggle finacially here so i think i would rather struggle there near the beach...where we can do things at weekends that dont cost lots of money unlike here..
If we just have hubbys wage then yes it would be hard but with me working to we would be ok??
My husbands wage would just be a starting wage so we wouldnt be skint forever...
Hey Shopperholic,

It is obvious that you realise that u aint gonna be well off in NZ and i think the fact that u know that will help alot.

Also if u are gonna work too that will help a little, but you will need to take into consideration the cost of childcare, unless you find a friend/family member who is willing to watch your wee one for u. Plus as a hairdresser i am sure you will find work easily, all us girls always need a good hairdresser!!

Depending on what visa you get and what your earnings are (i'm sure someone will shout if i'm wrong) you will also get tax credits, more info Here. That may help a little too.

I guess if u really want to make it work you will, regardless of what others think. Good luck and i hope it all goes well.

Caz xx
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

You could look at living somewhere else apart from Auckland where houses are cheaper. You would be hard pressed to get that much mortgage on those wages in the current banking environment.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

On an income of $55k, according to Westpac, you could borrow up to $268k for a term of 30 years with minimum repayments of around $ 1,690 a month.

Loan calculator here:

http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/o...lator+-+borrow

Banks are currently looking for minimum 20% deposit, bearing in mind of course you would need considerably more than that to buy a house in Auckland.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:13 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

You could actually (probably) make more money going to people's houses to do their hair than getting a 'job' and then you could maybe work around your husband's hours and most places you could take your son with you anyway. My hairdresser comes to me but tbh if there was a UK trained one I'd probably swing towards you (and my existing one is not a Kiwi) She charges me $25 for a cut and is flat tack all the time - she lost her job a little while ago and is not suffering financially at all.

Please don't blame me for this in 20 years time but... I'd say go for it! If we wait and wait until everything is perfect before we do something when will we ever do anything at all?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Batty
You could actually (probably) make more money going to people's houses to do their hair than getting a 'job' and then you could maybe work around your husband's hours and most places you could take your son with you anyway. My hairdresser comes to me but tbh if there was a UK trained one I'd probably swing towards you (and my existing one is not a Kiwi) She charges me $25 for a cut and is flat tack all the time - she lost her job a little while ago and is not suffering financially at all.

Please don't blame me for this in 20 years time but... I'd say go for it! If we wait and wait until everything is perfect before we do something when will we ever do anything at all?
Yes and that would allow you to be creative with tax returns...
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

shopperholic has a spectacular aura aboutshopperholic has a spectacular aura aboutshopperholic has a spectacular aura about

Thakns guys, i was toying with the idea of being a mobile hairdresser but the reason i wanted to work in a salon was to meet more people...but now i realise that with being mobile i wouldnt have to leave my terror with a childminder then i will defo be up for that..
Is there a need for an english trained mobile hairdresser in the Auckland area???
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Thakns guys, i was toying with the idea of being a mobile hairdresser but the reason i wanted to work in a salon was to meet more people...but now i realise that with being mobile i wouldnt have to leave my terror with a childminder then i will defo be up for that..
Is there a need for an english trained mobile hairdresser in the Auckland area???
The greater Auckland area has 1 million+ people so i'd assume there's a demand for it.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:19 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

It's expensive to go to a hairdresser, especially a good one, so if people can have the same service but pay less for it in the comfort of their own home why wouldn't they go for it? I've definitely struggled to get a good hairdresser who will listen to me and if I'm happy with a cut this time it always seems to go pear shaped the next time!

The only concern I'd have would be your use of the word 'terror' You have to be able to go back again
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

I saw someones house recently that had been kitted out to do home hairdressing. NZ houses are often big enough to do this remember. Part of the garage had been partitioned off with a large mirror, shelf and proper chair, with carpet put down. Probably a nice way to work from home.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

I would suggest that if you were going to do the mobile route you should look outside of Auckland. Auckland has horrific traffic problems for such a small city and it is spread out over twice the area of London. It would be best either to concentrate on a small part of Auckland (maybe a few suburbs of the North Shore - the most densely populated city in NZ, or somewhere like Christchurch or Tauranga).
Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Hi, from one hairdresser to another There are alot of the above mentioned garage convertments, by all accounts do very well, but there are quite a few council requirements to adhere to. If you go mobile you will have to register with the local council. There are 5-6 major shopping mall hairdressing salons that are always looking for employees. Make sure you have a current CV.
I would say average wage without commision is about $25-$30 an hour.
If you need a job when you get here [North Shore] look me up
All the best.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks divine comedy...i will look you up if thats ok....when we finally get out there.
I currently work in an Aveda salon, dont know if you or anyone have heard of it, it is a global brand owned by Este Lauder, the products are all made from natural ingredients, plants and flower extracts and the Aveda colours are all 97% natural. I was wondering if anyone has heard of it out there and if there are any Aveda salons in or around Auckland??
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:08 am
Just Joined

daisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nice

You can definitely buy Aveda products in NZ, they just seem very very expensive (as do all the international products, I have waved goodbye to clinique these days). Haven't seen any branded salons, but I haven't really been looking. I get my hair cut by a friend of a friend, who does it at her home, seems quite common.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.