Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Money.....will we have enough for lots of shoes...?

Money.....will we have enough for lots of shoes...?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

shopperholic has a spectacular aura aboutshopperholic has a spectacular aura aboutshopperholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Money.....will we have enough for lots of shoes...?

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me......
My husband has been offered a job with a wage of about $49,000 in North shore... so we would want to live around this area, we would like a modest house worth about $400,000ish we have about £50,000 towards a house. Would we be able to live on this wage? We wouldnt want boats or anything like that...we have money saved for a car so that would not be a problem...i just dont want to struggle, we wont be having mad holidays and buying diamondsi know that but will we be able to pay our bills.
Also im a hairdresser with 15 years experience, does anyone know of any good salons in the north shore that i can check out when we come for a recci later this year? I would only want to work part time as i have a little boy.
And does anyone know roughly how much hairdressers get paid??????
Sorry all these questions.............
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money.....will we have enough for lots of shoes...?

Hi, I may be wrong here as me and the wife are going thru the process but i believe you need a salary offer of at least $55,000 NZ before they would let you in. I just got back last week and the opinion was 50 k would be enough to live on providing you didnt have a mortgage

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Neil
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

shopperholic has a spectacular aura aboutshopperholic has a spectacular aura aboutshopperholic has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your reply, i just told my hubby about neededing $55,000 and he re worked the sums out and i converted it wrong luckily the job is for $55,000.......me and my maths, i am blonde and a hairdresser, thats my excuss, not saying all blonde hairdressers are not the sharpest tool in the box but i am...
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:45 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shopperholic
I wonder if anyone would be able to help me......
My husband has been offered a job with a wage of about $49,000 in North shore... so we would want to live around this area, we would like a modest house worth about $400,000ish we have about £50,000 towards a house. Would we be able to live on this wage? We wouldnt want boats or anything like that...we have money saved for a car so that would not be a problem...i just dont want to struggle, we wont be having mad holidays and buying diamondsi know that but will we be able to pay our bills.
Also im a hairdresser with 15 years experience, does anyone know of any good salons in the north shore that i can check out when we come for a recci later this year? I would only want to work part time as i have a little boy.
And does anyone know roughly how much hairdressers get paid??????
Sorry all these questions.............
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
50K with a 400K mortgage???? and live?????

err, NO!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:47 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

You'd be more pushed to find lots of shoes you'd want to buy!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven`t seen anyone wearing shoes over here.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It is not correct that you must gain a salary of $55K pa before NZ will let you in. That only applies to those applying under the Work To Residency policy with an accredited employer.

New Zealand will let you in if you have no salary at all provided you have enough points to get picked from the skilled migrant category pool.

Your husband will be perfectly fine to apply for a temporary work permit and/or PR - permanent residency under the skilled migrant category - with a salary of $49K per annum. He will need his qualifications and his work experience to match the job he is being offered.

If the occupation is on the long term or immediate shortages lists , then the employer is fine to have offered him the job.

Whether or not this is a reasonable salary for living in Auckland , I don;t know as I don;t live there. However, in this economic climate a job offer is worth a good deal.

edited here.....

I've just read your other post.

Is this job on the shortages lists?
I hope it is as then the employer is free to offer your husband the job.

If it is not, then that employer has to prove to NZIS that there is no NZ resident or citizen for that job. They cannot simply offer your husband because he has a relative at the company. The company will need to show they have advertised this job and that they have training programmes inplace etc.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 7th 2009 at 9:20 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Anyone correct me if this is wrong please.

$49K pa would give you a gross weekly wage of $942 per week.

After tax this would leave you with $749 dollars per week.

House Cost $400K
Less Deposit $125K - conservative conversion of 2.5$ to £

Mortgage $275,000 over 25 years . Interest rate = fixed 2 yrs 6.25% .Weekly payments made. This would make a weekly payment of $418 dollars per week for your mortgage.

So you would have $749 take home pay
Less mort payment $418

Leaves just $331 a week for everything else.

I'd say that was too tight wherever you lived in NZ. Just my opinion mind you.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:50 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here

House Cost $400K

Mortgage $275,000 over 25 years . Interest rate = fixed 2 yrs 6.25% .Weekly payments made. This would make a weekly payment of $418 dollars per week for your mortgage.

Less mort payment $418

I refer my learned friend to post No4 and it's contents, er NO

I know's from bitter experience and i's don't even live in Jaffa central- thankfully

Last edited by sparkie down under; Apr 7th 2009 at 11:50 pm. Reason: should learn to spell
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
50K with a 400K mortgage???? and live?????

err, NO!
I am afraid even with a $265k mortgage you will struggle I fear. I note you have 50k GBP as a deposit and at $2.7 exchange that will drop the $400k house costs to $265k. At say 7% (interest only) that will be C$1550 per month. Monthly bills for the average household and ins. for 2 cars excluding petrol, food and any breakdowns are in the region of $1000 per month...not including any HP for the cars..one assumes you will own them outright. Food will be another $1k per month. So thats $3550 per month plus petrol plus incidentals. Alas take home of $55k is only around $3400 per month after tax. You really need to do the figures sooooooooooooooooo carefully. There is nothing worse than emigrating and being utterly on the bones of your arse. Its just not worth it IMO. Good luck.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here

House Cost $400K

Less mort payment $418

Which is less than my benefit, and I wouldnt want to try and live on that for long.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Yes but you'll have the stunning scenery and amazing outdoor lifestyle to make up for the lack of money.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies.....Looks like we will have to re think a few things
Hopefully i will be able to get a job as a part time hairdresser, which will boost our monthly earnings up a bit....I have heard that a good hairdresser earns quite a bit......not blowing my own trumpet but i am a bloody good one.......
How much do you think we could comfortably get a mortgage for on hubbies wage?
We arent leaving england cos we want massive houses and boats and big cars we want better lifestyle for our son and us but obviously we want to be able to not struggle....
Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We're all different and have differing priorities for our money. Perhaps look at the equation in reverse. Could you comfortably afford to live on GBP19k in the UK, because that is what it boils down to. Living costs are relatively similar, a few upsides and downs, however the largest portion of your income would be servicing a mortgage and unfortunately the interest rates here are consistently a LOT higher.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
We're all different and have differing priorities for our money. Perhaps look at the equation in reverse. Could you comfortably afford to live on GBP19k in the UK, because that is what it boils down to. Living costs are relatively similar, a few upsides and downs, however the largest portion of your income would be servicing a mortgage and unfortunately the interest rates here are consistently a LOT higher.
Take heed..why would such a financial struggle be a better lifestyle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.