Money transfers, Banks, Cars and Campervans

Money transfers, Banks, Cars and Campervans

Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

nightair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money transfers, Banks, Cars and Campervans

Hi

I'm a UK doctor going to start my new job this August. I have a few questions:

What is the best service to transfer money between NZ and UK bank accounts? Transferz? American Express?

Which bank would your recommend?

Cars/campervans - is it better to rent or to buy? What isthe average cost of a campervan? I was advised to buy a car and sell it on but I won't have a lot of initial disposable income. Any idea of how much disposable income I should have to hand for a car?

Many thanks for your help,

NA
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money transfers, Banks, Cars and Campervans

You can look at the price of cars and campers on:

www.trademe.co.nz

The banks thing has been done to death and they're all much of a muchness. See this most recent thread or a search should pull up a number of variations on the same theme;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723562

Assuming most people only do the transfer of money once or twice in a lifetime, they don't have much to compare to. In all the years I have been around expats and this board I have never heard any complaints about the service people have received from anyone actually. Assuming you use a reputable company, they can generally be trusted to act per your instructions in a timely manner and your money turns up in the right place, which is all you can ask for and expect. You may fare 0.001% better with one over another on fees or rates but you can't possibly know that until the day you come to do the actual deed, because it changes by the second.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Campervans are ridiculously expensive to buy, even the really old ones, of which there are plenty.

I have friends who bought a transit van and converted it in to a really smart campervan them selves, worked out heaps cheaper.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:29 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who deals in currency himself, and uses someone who charges considerably less than the likes if Hifx etc.
PM me if you would like me to get more details.
Why do you need a van? Surely a doctor wouldn't want to live in a box.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Or he may want a Bus of Lurve ...
Attached Thumbnails Money transfers, Banks, Cars and Campervans-baby.jpg  
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Or he may want a Bus of Lurve ...
OOOOOOOOO shiney
Old Jul 15th 2011, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

nightair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dustybin
OOOOOOOOO shiney
That campervan is peeeeerrrfecct!

Looks like I got to settle for a car and travel up and down the country though wanted the campervan but too expensive !!!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by nightair
That campervan is peeeeerrrfecct!

Looks like I got to settle for a car and travel up and down the country though wanted the campervan but too expensive !!!
I was going to start casually hiring her out, but she really needs a bigger engine with more grunt, otherwise she tends to offend anyone behind her on the Highway. Hence the disco ball and fairy lights to keep them amused ...
Attached Thumbnails Money transfers, Banks, Cars and Campervans-dscf6385_renamed_8688.jpg  
Old Jul 16th 2011, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
I have a friend who deals in currency himself, and uses someone who charges considerably less than the likes if Hifx etc.
PM me if you would like me to get more details.
Can I PM you for more details or does he only deal in mega, huge sums?

Gay