Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Money money money!

Money money money!

Old Oct 11th 2015, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money money money!

Originally Posted by kitti
we buy $450.00 worth of firewood. That's for three cords of pinewood, and that's been plenty to keep our house warm this winter.
Are you sure it is 3 cords of firewood? If I had the space to store that, and burnt it over one winter, I would be very warm indeed.

proper pork pies, which I secretly miss heaps.
Me too.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=bearskin;11769703]Are you sure it is 3 cords of firewood? If I had the space to store that, and burnt it over one winter, I would be very warm indeed.

Oh yes. Three very large trailers indeed at $150 each on the Christmas special. My log shed was groaning with effort (as were we!) but I hate being cold. Got a teeny bit left.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 6:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
Are you sure it is 3 cords of firewood? If I had the space to store that, and burnt it over one winter, I would be very warm indeed.
that depends on what they are actually getting as a cord, had a look through and having a stacked cord rather than a thrown cord seems to give you more wood. a standard cord is 3.6 cubic metres but a volume of thrown cord (which seems to be the way it is sold here) is apparently 2 cubic metres. seems you would need 10 cubic metres for a winter ? https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles...FUySvQodg54E1w
Old Oct 11th 2015, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
that depends on what they are actually getting as a cord, had a look through and having a stacked cord rather than a thrown cord seems to give you more wood. a standard cord is 3.6 cubic metres but a volume of thrown cord (which seems to be the way it is sold here) is apparently 2 cubic metres. seems you would need 10 cubic metres for a winter ? https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles...FUySvQodg54E1w
Yes but thrown cords are standard. And at $450 for a thrown cord of macrocarpa,I'll take the pine.

And that community services card doesn't really save me much you know.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 10:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Three cords of any wood for $450 is a bargain.

Only thing with gum over pine is that it is slow burning, so kindling of pine with one or two logs of gum mid-winter can be sufficient. Pine burns quickly and so one uses far more logs.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have four children (10, 8 and 5 yr twins). Total earnings are about 75k for everything pre-tax. The children enjoy three clubs each (football, dance, scouts and swimming lessons) and I'd say we have a reasonable standard of living. Yes, we need to budget, but doesn't everyone? No matter how much you have, people always seem to 'need' more.

Our gas and electric is about $250.00 every month, and we buy $450.00 worth of firewood. That's for three cords of pinewood, and that's been plenty to keep our house warm this winter. We don't heat bedrooms up, but only have a few days a year when it's really cold. We have insulation in the house which helps heaps, no double glazing, don't see the need.

I spend about $300.00 on food each week. Sometime less, sometimes more.

School 'donation' is $160 per year for all four at the local primary school. College is more, but it's a user-pays culture. Spent $300.00 on stationery for all four for the year. They just learn to look after stuff, they have to!

The biggest shock for me was paying for a bank account! But you get over it.

I have less money day-to-day but: I live in a six-bedroom house with TONS of room. I have a large garden and a double garage. I go to the beach whenever I like, it never gets old, the parks are plentiful. The river is clean enough to play in. I like tramping and get to do that lots. We're (hopefully) not obsessed with shopping and have done our best to escape the insane consumer culture. I love it and wouldn't go back to the UK for all the tea in China. Even for Tesco Extra and proper pork pies, which I secretly miss heaps.

Good luck.
I assume you get around $200 a week family tax credits as well?
Old Oct 11th 2015, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Carole Ann is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been living in NZ from Market Harborough, UK for 11 years. Its been great in the main as we have treated our residence as an adventure and a challenge, it has certainly been character forming! Kiwis can be unfortunately quite biased towards their own and not as wholeheartedly welcoming as portrayed. And to be honest I agree entirely with this post. NZ is hyped up and very expensive, best to run your own business and have a $ fund to draw on cause you will need it!
Old Oct 12th 2015, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi BEVS, I did say total earnings for everything. I've laid all my other finances bare! Yes, we get tax credits. I included them in the figure.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 3:51 am
`

Hi BEVS, I did say total earnings for everything. I've laid all my other finances bare! Yes, we get tax credits. I included them in the figure.
Eh?

I was talking wood piles.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 5:20 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it all depends what you deem as comfortable lifestyle.

We are on around 85k (single wage) with 2 kids and a dog.

We have a comfortable lifestyle it'll be more comfortable when we have paid off debt in the uk.

We buy things second Hand. Don't waste money and find short cuts that'll save money.
Lifestyle wise it's great on that money for us in mid Canterbury.
It's all about expectations I guess.

We may return to the uk in the next year but that's not bcos we don't like the lifestyle here.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 5:32 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carole Ann
We've been living in NZ from Market Harborough, UK for 11 years. Its been great in the main as we have treated our residence as an adventure and a challenge, it has certainly been character forming! Kiwis can be unfortunately quite biased towards their own and not as wholeheartedly welcoming as portrayed. And to be honest I agree entirely with this post. NZ is hyped up and very expensive, best to run your own business and have a $ fund to draw on cause you will need it!
Im with you on this. It is very expensive and personally like to enjoy life and buy what i like without the constraints of the low wage economy. Enjoyed it here for 5-6 years but heading home next year - if for no other reason than healthcare alone...it is so expensive
Old Oct 12th 2015, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could just buy a house with plenty of spare trees in the garden......our excess trees, including a macracarpa has ensured we've never paid for wood in the 6 years we've been here
Old Oct 12th 2015, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Sorry BEVS, I meant to reply to the comment about tax credits.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
a standard cord is 3.6 cubic metres but a volume of thrown cord (which seems to be the way it is sold here) is apparently 2 cubic metres. seems you would need 10 cubic metres for a winter ?
Yes it is. I think we would be quite happy with ONE for a winter!! In fact I built my woodshed to hold approximately that much, never imagining that we'd want more than that. TBH the thought of burning 3 cords in one winter here (north Auckland) is mind boggling... some weeks we only burn about a barrowful.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 8:49 pm
`

Originally Posted by bearskin
Yes it is. I think we would be quite happy with ONE for a winter!! In fact I built my woodshed to hold approximately that much, never imagining that we'd want more than that. TBH the thought of burning 3 cords in one winter here (north Auckland) is mind boggling... some weeks we only burn about a barrowful.
We look to burn one cord over a winter but we also like to ensure we have a cord and a half for the winter period.
Mind you we do a mix of pine and gum for reasons already stated. Overall more cost effective.
This year we have burnt more wood over a longer period than any other previous year so for the first time ever the wood cupboard is looking bare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.