Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Money money money!

Money money money!

Old Oct 2nd 2015, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money money money!

The sunshine doesn't make life any easier down here
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 8:42 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

And the weather isn't exactly better just more extreme with the added bonus of earthquakes, floods and tsunami depending on the area and to hot to go outside but I was told that was a freak summer

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 2nd 2015 at 8:48 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:11 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

It does depend very much on whether you have the money to buy outright/ have a small mortgage. If you are just coming with funds to set up and perhaps a small deposit (for example, that leaves you still needs a $350k+ mortgage to live in cams) or renting than I concur with the $100-120 for a family with kids to live a decent enough life here but prolly no chance to holiday back in the UK. On that sort of income expect to live in a smaller shabbier property in town, to struggle a bit when it comes to Xmas and paying for school camps etc. expect to find clothing the kids a bit of a struggle unless you get canny and adjust to op shops.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fazza16
No point spending all that money going half way round the world for better weather (and therefore more fun life) then realising that you can't afford it!
That seems an odd expectation and I don't think the two go hand in hand: I can see that more time and more money probably would make for more fun times in any country. e.g. Everyone goes on about the skiing for example well you need time and money to do that, not better weather.

Apart from that 'better weather' is pretty subjective and depends greatly on where you are coming from and where you intend to live here and unless you're retired or very wealthy then you still have to go to work come rain or shine. I still fail to see the weather as remarkably better or having much impact on our day to day life here apart from the utterly depressing winter months that fill me with dread.

We're still subject to the forces and timing of nature and it can be sunny and warm all the week and then the rain clouds appear at 5pm on Friday. This week has been lovely but as is sod's law would have it the weekend rain started to settle in yesterday and here we have it Saturday grey and drizzly - so there goes my plans for some time at the beach / in the garden or whatever other more fun things I could be doing.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:48 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I still fail to see the weather as remarkably better or having much impact on our day to day life here apart from the utterly depressing winter months that fill me with dread.

We're still subject to the forces and timing of nature and it can be sunny and warm all the week and then the rain clouds appear at 5pm on Friday. This week has been lovely but as is sod's law would have it the weekend rain started to settle in yesterday and here we have it Saturday grey and drizzly - so there goes my plans for some time at the beach / in the garden or whatever other more fun things I could be doing.
I 100% understand you there, I never knew I was phoebic to wind until I came here, gives me sick feeling in my stomach and scares the life out of me. never had so many sleepless nights due to the weather.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 10:10 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I 100% understand you there, I never knew I was phoebic to wind until I came here, gives me sick feeling in my stomach and scares the life out of me. never had so many sleepless nights due to the weather.
Me too and i'm not even in Wellington. I now notice the calm days and they are few and far between. Even on warm days the wind with the cool edge is always present and we certainly dont get those warm summer evenings, as soon as the sun goes its cold again.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 10:49 pm

I remember when Qssue came to visit us and we were sitting on the deck and she commented on how windy it was, had to say that in actual fact that is was not a windy day. She ended up not pursuing Wellington region.

Yep need to make sure you close the curtains up before the sun leaves the room
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 9:35 am

I would also suggest that people coming over should read the news on line, something like Stuff
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I follow Stuff on Facebook and have the Herald app on my iPad, it's been interesting comparing them to the BBC and newspapers over here.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I would say stay put. It's not worth the effort coming here. It's one of the most expensive places to live and the weather is not good. And it's not as if you can compensate for the above with great culture, shops and lots of interesting thlngs to do. It's boring in NZ - even in Auckland and it's hyped up well beyond the reality.

You'll hear all sots of things about here, like it's the best in the world for scenery, lifestyle, education, etc, etc. All over-blown hype I'm afraid.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Personally, I would say stay put. It's not worth the effort coming here. It's one of the most expensive places to live and the weather is not good. And it's not as if you can compensate for the above with great culture, shops and lots of interesting thlngs to do. It's boring in NZ - even in Auckland and it's hyped up well beyond the reality.

You'll hear all sots of things about here, like it's the best in the world for scenery, lifestyle, education, etc, etc. All over-blown hype I'm afraid.
and you are here. . . . . why !!!
Old Oct 4th 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol
and you are here. . . . . why !!!
probably the same reason anyone is, and possibly still here because of the same reasons others are still here.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 8:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I follow Stuff on Facebook and have the Herald app on my iPad, it's been interesting comparing them to the BBC and newspapers over here.
A lot of the Stuff stuff is from other sources like the BBC.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
A lot of the Stuff stuff is from other sources like the BBC.

It's interesting to read the comments on it from NZ though, opens a window on a Kiwi as opposed to a UK viewpoint.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 9:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
It's interesting to read the comments on it from NZ though, opens a window on a Kiwi as opposed to a UK viewpoint.
* Giggles *

Peering into readers comments on articles is a mind worm to madness no matter what and where. You get the same old same old mix .
Don't do it to yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.