Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Money money money!

Money money money!

Old Oct 17th 2015, 1:52 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money money money!

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
BTW did you re-mortgage to get the lower interest rate ?  If so, did you have to get the house surveyed, LIM report etc etc all over again ?  Were you able to made a professional (no pun) valuation on the house as you're a licenced Estate Agent ? Or were you able to increase your mortgage to get the better interest rate without doing any of that ?  
we just approached our broker and asked to get us a better rate, not happened yet still waiting, as you know things take an age to happen.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davros1984
I appreciate my posts are Auckland-centric and I know elsewhere in NZ, things are more affordable, i.e. the lovely Kapiti Coast (great choice btw).

However, NZ is overly Auckland focused and for most, they need to end up in primarily Auckland, maybe Wellington or possibly CHCH for work. NZ doesn't have the bulk of jobs that other countries have.

I moved to Auckland for a "better life" but in the end I found whilst I had a good/interesting life, I never could have settled. Being back in the UK, I have easy access to Bristol, Cardiff, Newport, Gloucester, Swindon, Bath - all with good job opportunities and a lot of affordable housing. I'm also 2.5 hours drive away from both sets of family.

What I'm saying is, if you're considering a move to Auckland and not full of money, you should consider looking elsewhere in the UK, Europe or somewhere other than Auckland in NZ. I do not believe today that you can go to Auckland and be better off (unless you're very lucky). Had you gone out there 6-10+ years ago, I'd say yes - you've probably done great and improved your lot.

Trying to compare Auckland house prices to London house prices is completely unrealistic.
I think Davros is right. Auckland is now too expensive for many folks to have a good, sustainable life here. It's one of the most expensive cities to live in the world. The compromises you have to make here are just not worth making. I've never felt so poor in my life and I've been around a bit.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Rustyspanner is an unknown quantity at this point

after reading all this I am beginning to wonder if its worth the hassle. Nothing but stress to get a visa even more stress sorting the dogs out only to be told you need a small fortune to live a basic life in an over hyped country.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

UktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant future

It all depends what your prepared to live with and what you want out of it. If your having doubts I'd suggest it's not for you.

Just my opinion
Old Oct 28th 2015, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Money money money!

Originally Posted by Rustyspanner
after reading all this I am beginning to wonder if its worth the hassle. Nothing but stress to get a visa even more stress sorting the dogs out only to be told you need a small fortune to live a basic life in an over hyped country.
Sounds to me like you have had a crap day and are tired and fed up. You've had some bad news about moving your pooches as well which must be weighing your down and worrying you. My advice would be to remember why you started down this route in the first place, then pour yourself a drink, have a sit down and relax. Things will seem better in the morning I'm sure. Stay strong x
Old Oct 28th 2015, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

UktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant future

Old Oct 29th 2015, 2:24 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rustyspanner
It has to be said that being a migrant is hard work, wherever you go. If you want more of what Britain has, then no, it's not worth the hassle. If you want something different, it might be. Brits do seem to have a romantic view of NZ (and possibly Australia and Canada), so it can be a disappointment to find faults when you arrive. Despite that, many like it and plan to stay. Others, not so much.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

You do need to really work out why you want to come. It's not 'a new life', it's just a bit different. Work is still work, bills still need to be paid and building a new social life can be tough. Auckland is horribly expensive, but I have friends that wouldn't leave it. I like the sticks, but it's not for everyone, and we all have different reasons for shifting. Good luck!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Rustyspanner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Damson
Sounds to me like you have had a crap day and are tired and fed up. You've had some bad news about moving your pooches as well which must be weighing your down and worrying you. My advice would be to remember why you started down this route in the first place, then pour yourself a drink, have a sit down and relax. Things will seem better in the morning I'm sure. Stay strong x
Yes quite tough at the moment we are arranging to delay our departure for a couple of months. the big issue is that we have nowhere to live for three months, sold my house, so at the moment things not running as smooth as I would like. I am sure it will work itself out in the end but at the moment...

Thanks for the words of support we will get there in the end
Old Nov 6th 2015, 6:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Money money money!

I think something you need to take into account moving to New Zealand is the differences in the tax system.

New Zealand taxation isn't very progressive and penalises lower income work (e.g. you are taxed on every dollar you earn, there is no 0% tax rate or "personal allowance" before you start paying). This probably makes it significantly less comfortable if you are earning an income of around $52,000/year (average/mean income in NZ) than you would on an equivalent income in the UK.

On the other hand the lack of other taxes (CGT, things that don't incur GST etc.) may make New Zealand more attractive if you are bringing a lot of capital.

Worth considering.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 12:32 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Worth considering.
Defo.
Great for the cashed up who wish to retire, or us small business folks as taxation on our businesses is embarassingly low, but hard for the low paid and those on fixed/low incomes. And the current govt. are going out of their way, it seems to me, to increase that divide.