Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mobiles and computers

Mobiles and computers

Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: London temporarily, Auckland...bah, who knows, maybe never
Bev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really nice
Default Mobiles and computers

Hi
I'm wondering whether to replace our mobiles and computers before we go or do it in NZ.

We only have very simple, very outdated mobiles as we've been in a country with no mobile coverage for some time so we have phones which are about 8 years old as we only used them on holiday. Having said that, I quite like my phone and find it perfect for using one-handed while pushing buggy or dealing with something so I'm not sure I'll be entering the world of smartphones quite yet! Presumably it makes sense to get new phones in NZ rather than in the UK? I'm assuming transferring is a bit of a hassle and it's simpler to wait?

Similar on computers - ours died just as we were leaving the last job so we ditched it, figuring we'd buy anew in London. Is it better to buy in London or Auckland? Apart from possible warranty issues, I don't see any problem with buying one here and taking it with us and I'm assuming choice and possibly price are better in the UK? Any thoughts?
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all
Default Re: Mobiles and computers

I'm not sure what the situation with phone provision with a mobile contract is in NZ. If you are wanting pay as you go, the. I would maybe get one in the UK then get a NZ SIM card once you're in Auckland, I assume lie everything else, mobiles are more expensive in NZ.

I have an older i-phone (i-phone 3) and will be bringing it with me. I can't get an upgrade from my provider without signing up for another 18 months so just going to keep this one. Smart phones are expensive to buy everywhere if you not on a contract. If you're coming through Hong Kong, it may be worth buying there. So much cheaper than anywhere else xx
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

laptops are definitely cheaper in NZ than in the uk, not sure about desktop pc's .
if you dont use smart phones or dont want to then get a basic phone your happy with in the uk
and get it unlocked before you come over it'll then accept vodafone or 2degrees sims,
not sure about telecom as they seem to be a law unto themselves
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Justcol
laptops are definitely cheaper in NZ than in the uk, not sure about desktop pc's .
if you dont use smart phones or dont want to then get a basic phone your happy with in the uk
and get it unlocked before you come over it'll then accept vodafone or 2degrees sims,
not sure about telecom as they seem to be a law unto themselves
That's a suprise. Do you know of a wbsite I can check out?
Xxx
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

the name of the game is haggle if you want to buy out here. we have found that PC are on a par but choices are a bit more limited and keyboards are American layout
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:34 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
laptops are definitely cheaper in NZ than in the uk,
Comparisons please. I find that very hard to believe
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:08 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Comparisons please. I find that very hard to believe
Tosh 850 at Noel Lemmings $800
from PC World 599 sterling. granted more memory and slightly bigger HDD but once you've haggled the price down at Noel Lemmings its on a par and then it goes down to how good you are at haggling as to what free extra's you get as well
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

just pull up any websites from here the uk to compare like for like.
While i was on holiday in the uk in May I was looking at getting a laptop for my son and bringing it home
but where ever I looked the uk prices were all at least a couple of hundred dollars more expensive
once you'd worked out the exchange rates.

Do a direct comparison on the Dell NZ and Dell UK sites
Dell Inspiron 14z Ultrabook NZ $999 UK £599 or $1143.68.

American keyboards can be changed to uk vesions in the windows setting screen

Some NZ retailers for you to compare prices to

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/computers/laptops/

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/co...-c4311-p1.html

http://www.bondandbond.co.nz/shop/co...1-c233-p1.html

I found during my visit back to blighty that the uk isn't cheap anymore.

Last edited by Justcol; Aug 5th 2012 at 12:43 am.