Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mobile + xbox Q.. sorry for the silly Q's..

Mobile + xbox Q.. sorry for the silly Q's..

Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Mobile + xbox Q.. sorry for the silly Q's..

Hello All,

Sorry to trouble you with trivial questions but..
When i arrive with my mobile what phone card, pay as you go would you recommend and where would be the best place to pick one up? Il be going to Oamaru / Timaru.

Also, my young lad has an xbox 360, does anyone know if he can buy games in NZ that will work on his uk xbox?..

Thanks again all.

Gary.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile + xbox Q.. sorry for the silly Q's..

Originally Posted by Wessa
Hello All,

When i arrive with my mobile what phone card, pay as you go would you recommend and where would be the best place to pick one up? Il be going to Oamaru / Timaru.

Also, my young lad has an xbox 360, does anyone know if he can buy games in NZ that will work on his uk xbox?..

Thanks again all.

Gary.
Hi

What type of phone do you have just now? is it unlocked sim free?? if so than a Vodafone or 2 degrees will be fine to use in it, pick these up from a mall or in the airport when you arrive

Xbox 360 is as far as I know region specific this is because europe consoles have whats called PAL (europe region), whilst america and japan have NTSC (america and japan region). Only Pal games will play on Pal consoles and Ntsc will only play on Ntsc consoles. To find out if your console is PAL or NTSC there should be a small rectangular box with PAL or NTSC on the box of the xbox or on the spine of the xbox 360 game case.

But NZ also used PAL so yes it should be ok

Uk standard is PAL - they are different elsewhere

NTSC: North America and South America (United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, and Brazil)
NTSC-J: Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan)
PAL: Europe, South Africa, India, Australia, and New Zealand
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Hi

What type of phone do you have just now? is it unlocked sim free?? if so than a Vodafone or 2 degrees will be fine to use in it, pick these up from a mall or in the airport when you arrive
Xbox 360 is as far as I know region specific this is because europe consoles have whats called PAL (europe region), whilst america and japan have NTSC (america and japan region). Only Pal games will play on Pal consoles and Ntsc will only play on Ntsc consoles. To find out if your console is PAL or NTSC there should be a small rectangular box with PAL or NTSC on the box of the xbox or on the spine of the xbox 360 game case.
But NZ also used PAL so yes it should be ok
Uk standard is PAL - they are different elsewhere
NTSC: North America and South America (United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, and Brazil)
NTSC-J: Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan)
PAL: Europe, South Africa, India, Australia, and New Zealand
Thanks Alan..

The phone is a samsung spiro.. currently on an o2 works sim. Not sure if its unlocked..I'l have to check.. Im rubbish with phones and sims etc..

Give me an engine and il rebuild it blindfolded tho..

As for the xbox, im sure it's a Pal box. He will be over the moon with that.. So important to keep then happy eh..

Thanks again.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Alan..

The phone is a samsung spiro.. currently on an o2 works sim. Not sure if its unlocked..I'l have to check.. Im rubbish with phones and sims etc..

Give me an engine and il rebuild it blindfolded tho..

As for the xbox, im sure it's a Pal box. He will be over the moon with that.. So important to keep then happy eh..

Thanks again.
Just pop in to your local place and get it unlocked usually costs about 15 quid or so, that way you know it will work ok
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:13 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Thanks again all.

Gary.
XBOX - My son bought his with him and has since bought and rented several games while here. He's had no issues with them. He also bought a game in Hong Kong and that also worked fine.....maybe he was lucky with the HK bought game!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks as always fella's..
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

I've been looking into this also... and the PS3 is also good to go, if you happen to have one of these better consoles
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:37 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick78
I've been looking into this also... and the PS3 is also good to go, if you happen to have one of these better consoles
Bought that here!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

haha me hath the PS3 too.. but both are PAL and NTSC compatible, so you can use either games, if as said before you get it chipped it will play any games....
Hong Kong is Pal like the UK and they sell bothe UK spec games and Japanese ones
The Golden Comp arcade in Sham Shi Po is a meca for games and stuff if you get a chance its WELL worth a visit... games are 30% less than in the UK...
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

The problem you might come up against is DLC from xbox live.
You are playing a UK game on a UK system with a UK gamertag, you wont be able to download DLC when in NZ.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
The problem you might come up against is DLC from xbox live.
You are playing a UK game on a UK system with a UK gamertag, you wont be able to download DLC when in NZ.
Luke, im 40 mate.. Not got a clue what DLC is

Thanks mate, im sure my lad will know..

Thanks for all the info fella's..
Old Mar 19th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

bit of a tangent, but wifey and I have iphones and we were worrying about data usage etc. etc.

but actually nz aint that bad really... vodafone smart phone plan, $47 per month for each of us that gives us 3gb data, loads of texts, 30 anytime minutes and a bestmate to call/text as much as possible!

i'm paying around $80 per iphone per month at the moment and the only different is i have a lot more minutes, but since i only ever use 50 or so a month I'm quite pleased with the prices in nz

or am I missing something?!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

or am I missing something?!
When did you check your last bill... haha..... then you'll know.. or you've signed up for a 18 yr contract...

Nice to meet a fellow biker...
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

dont be ageist towards yourself.

DLC = Downloadable Content
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
dont be ageist towards yourself.

DLC = Downloadable Content
Thanks Luke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.