Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mobile phones in NZ

Mobile phones in NZ

Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:12 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile phones in NZ

Hi everyone!

I would be very grateful if you could shed some light on mobile phones in NZ. Mainly the price of getting a phone on contract and what is included in different packages, any particular shops with good deals, which networks are good/reliable and how are the rates for pay as you go?

Cheers!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:20 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all
Default Re: Mobile phones in NZ

Yes also if you have an unlocked PAYG from the uk if you can use it in NZ? Does it have to be quad band etc?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:27 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Synky
Yes also if you have an unlocked PAYG from the uk if you can use it in NZ? Does it have to be quad band etc?
Yes I have one PAYG phone in the UK but the OH will probably need a new one. Do you know of any networks that are better than others or that have any deals? We've found Vodafone to be quite bad for signal here, for example. And then 02 offer deals like if you top up 10 quid every month you get 300 free texts.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:35 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have read previously it does depend on what area you are in as to good coverage.
I would say just google mobile phones deals like you would in UK and see what deals are around as sure they change often
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:57 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Mobile phone providers in NZ are usually 2 Degrees (as already stated) or
Telecom. Telstra Clear are static phone providers, I don't know if they do mobile phone coverage too.

I have no idea about, 'quad band'. However, I do know that I purchased an NZ mobile phone for about £20, complete with sim card. I have a monthly top up, as a previous poster remarked.

You can get a 'free' posh phone i.e. iPhone, Samsung Galaxy etc on a two year contract for a certain amount of money per month.

As Mrs Fychan said, just Google mobile phones in NZ and take it from there.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

The two main companies in terms of coverage are Telecom and Vodafone with Telecom having slightly better coverage.

2 Degrees is good in the main cities but outside that are pretty shocking however they do use Vodafone where they cant get a signal. This is fine apart from data which 2 degrees have 2 rates one for when you are on their network and one for on Vodafone. The first one is pretty cheap the 2nd one pretty expensive.

There is no 4G but Vodafone and Telecom are upgrading to 3g HSPA+ which has a theortecial download speed of 21 Mbit/s but which you are more likely to get 5-10 mb/s.

What is worth checking out is skinny mobile which uses Telecom's network but which works out considerably cheaper especially if you want a lot of national data.

As someone else said check out the websites and see what is a good deal at the time.

www.telecom.co.nz
www.vodafone.co.nz
www.2degrees.co.nz
www.skinny.co.nz

Matt
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:53 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2.5 mobile phone real networks in NZ:

Telecom
Vodafone
2Degrees (they have their own network covering some of greater Auckland etc and piggy back off Vodafone outside their own network coverage).

Most of the other Telco's resell either Voda or Telecom mobiles on their own virtual network.

Understanding whose REAL network you are on is important when you look at the coverage charts to work out if you will have signal in your rural retreat lifestyle block, no point if Voda coverage is fine if the connection you buy is a resold Telecom connection with no coverage.

NZ is hilly, coverage may not be what you expect from the UK. In most of the UK you would have to be seriously rural to be without a signal these days, outside metro areas in NZ it is quite possible - eg I live 4mins drive from the Albany Megacentre shopping and cinema complex but I have 1 bar signal on Vodafone with only GPRS data most of the time and very occasional/weak 3G.

All this is a direct result of low population density.

In my experience 2Degrees tops the PAYG offers, they have a robust network that has reasonably good/Vodafone coverage (not perfect but see comments above), and they have some good call/txt/data deals - but check the offers on all the networks websites, the market changes constantly here.

Unlocked UK phones will be fine here, unless they are ancient they will be at least dual frequency band meaning they will work with the networks here.

Locked phones can be unlocked at various kiosks in various shopping malls. Allegedly.

See here for more info (in no particular order):

http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/home
http://www.vodafone.co.nz
http://www.telecom.co.nz/mobile/
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:21 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

I'm about to get out of my contract so in thinking PAYG just in case we move. Good to hear it would work over there.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:59 am
She'll be right

Great thanks. If I went for a contract phone would they be OK for signing me up for 2 years even though I'm an expat on a WTR visa? Or is this generally not a problem?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonsi
There are 2.5 mobile phone real networks in NZ:

Telecom
Vodafone
2Degrees (they have their own network covering some of greater Auckland etc and piggy back off Vodafone outside their own network coverage).
Ahh a simu post.

Agree with everything that you say here apart from the fact that 2 degrees only cover Auckland.

To see their true network coverage http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/mobi...broadbandzones - as you can see it does cover most main population areas.

From looking at Skinny if you want a good coverage cheap(ish) large mobile data allowance you can get 800mb a week for $12 so 3.5gb for approx $50. I think this in conjunction with VOIP is where I would be going if I didn't already have a fantastic legacy vodafone tariff (3gb, 60 mins, 2500 texts for $40)
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:48 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandJax
Ahh a simu post.

Agree with everything that you say here apart from the fact that 2 degrees only cover Auckland.
I was referring to where they have their own equipment, their BB coverage is a mix of own and commercial arrangements AFAIK. As I said, they piggy back off VF.

Matters not really, they aren't anywhere near the same voice or data coverage of VF or Telecom on their own equipment so mostly they are a virtual network and you need to look to VF coverage maps.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:55 pm
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just spent 5 weeks touring the south island I can say that I was impressed with the 3G coverage from Vodaphone. I'm still on a UK contract with Vodaphone and so have a decent smart phone that is unlocked.

I picked up a pay as you go Sim from the shop in Welly when I arrived and loaded it with credit. Vodaphone have these bundle offers where you get free data added when you buy calling credit.

I have then used the phone for internet access all over the south. Its a shame that the coverage is not so good back in the UK.

I understand that Telecom use a different system than those used commony worldwide where as Vodaphone is the same as what you get around the world, hence being able to use most devices as long as the device is not locked to your originating network.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:05 pm
NZ wannabe

Good news that my phone would work ok.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:00 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by JPA
I understand that Telecom use a different system than those used commony worldwide where as Vodaphone is the same as what you get around the world, hence being able to use most devices as long as the device is not locked to your originating network.
Nah- they've just retired the old CDMA system, the current Telecom cellular network is fully compatible with the rest of the world - they call it their Smartphone network....

Note a phone locked to Vodafone in the UK will work with either a Vodafone NZ or 2Degrees sim card in NZ as they both appear to be Vodafone sims so the phone is happy, no unlocking should be required.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:35 am
NZ wannabe

Most vodaphone phones can be unlocked with just a code, which you can request for free from their website. It is the only network that does that I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.