British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mobile phones (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mobile-phones-486089/)

Maz Oct 8th 2007 10:45 pm

Mobile phones

For those who have one in NZ, I've looked at the Telecom and Vodafone websites and have got the following list of phone suppliers. If you're in NZ and have a mobile, who made it, and please comment on what you think of it. I'll make this a public poll.

Thanks! :)

(and yes, I'm phone-shopping, at least online ;) )

spoonguy Oct 8th 2007 11:54 pm

Re: Mobile phones

As far as networks, Voda was the only real option as i wanted to use my UK phone in NZ. One of the other guys had to go with Telecom because Voda didnt cover the area his extended family lives in.

The phone is an old motorola V3, it still works and i like it :)

luvwelly Oct 9th 2007 12:03 am

I bought a new Nokia phone here and use it through Vodafone. Very happy so far but not cheap. Was able to put credit on it using UK based creditcard when I first arrived.

happynz Oct 9th 2007 1:22 am

I have an Alcatel piece of junk. My service is with Vodafone. I basically use it as an alarm clock to wake me up in the morning. Other than that, I don't carry it anywhere or even use it more than three or four times a year for a couple of minutes each time. I hate telephones, especially mobiles. :mad:

Ted Logan Oct 9th 2007 1:47 am

Vodafone has SIM cards

Telecom majority don't (certain new ones seem as though they are)

Was vodafone, when lost phone :( went to Telecom because of there $10 txt offer

P2L Oct 9th 2007 3:27 am

Bought my UK V3 with me, put a Vodafone sim card in and still working fine.:thumbup:

As a suggestion Maz, are you doing a stopover on the way out?? I know people who have bought in Asia on the way here; loads cheaper and more up to date models.

Miss not been able to send/receive picture texts from my friends though :(:thumbdown:

Boopy Oct 9th 2007 3:30 am

Brought my Nokia here, with NZ simcard in works great.

luvwelly Oct 9th 2007 4:41 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5402928)
I basically use it as an alarm clock to wake me up in the morning.

Lol :D me too it's so loud, it is impossible to sleep through it! Got used to doing this while in transit and so didn't bother unpacking the old alarm clock when it finally arrived.

I'm not a technopobe at all but I only started carrying a mobile around when the kids started school at OH's insistence that the school should be able to reach me easily if necessary....worse still I only learnt to send text messages 2 years ago!

I see Nokia is ahead so far, my OH suggested I got Nokia as he thinks their operating system is the most unwilling-user friendly. I do find it pretty good I have to admit...I'd previously had a Samsung which was much harder to find your way round.

hazeandsteve Oct 10th 2007 8:16 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 5403101)
Bought my UK V3 with me, put a Vodafone sim card in and still working fine.:thumbup:

Miss not been able to send/receive picture texts from my friends though :(:thumbdown:

Mate, go into the Voda shop and they can open these options up for about 15 bucks.
My UK V3 is now sending video messages to mates in UK.
In response to the poll, I always found Nokia were good in that anyone could charge their phone using a mate's charger regardless of model. The V3, however, just fits in your pocket nice.

Maz Oct 10th 2007 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 5403101)
As a suggestion Maz, are you doing a stopover on the way out?? I know people who have bought in Asia on the way here; loads cheaper and more up to date models.

That would be a bit of a detour, as we're in the US. Well, at least for 6 more hours. ;)

dlmckay Oct 10th 2007 9:52 pm

UK phones, using NZ Vodafone SIMs :D

11ThousandMilesFromHome Oct 10th 2007 10:30 pm

I've got a samsung and although with virgin in the uk got it unlocked and bought a NZ vodafone sim when i was out there last year...but because i didn't use it for about 10months they cancelled my number, so when i went back to nz last month people could text and phone on the number, i couldn't use the number as i couldn't add any credit.

Heard about the Telecom text offer so will go with that when i move out...will keep my samsung with virgin sim in for peeps in uk to text me and i'll text them back using nz telecom phone:thumbsup:

Mandie.H