Mobile Phones

Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Mobile Phones

I'm sure this has been asked before. What mobile phone companies are in NZ. Do we bring our phones with us? The kids are getting new ones for christmas (pay as you go) I understand that there are only 2 companies but cant remember which. The kids phones sim cards are vodafone and O2.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:53 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones

Originally Posted by Maz1
I'm sure this has been asked before. What mobile phone companies are in NZ. Do we bring our phones with us? The kids are getting new ones for christmas (pay as you go) I understand that there are only 2 companies but cant remember which. The kids phones sim cards are vodafone and O2.

Vodafone is in NZ
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Two phone companies on two different systems. Vodafone = sim card, Telecom = no sim card.
If you are bringing over a sim card phone from elsewhere you may need to get it unlocked for it to work on the NZ system, and you will only be able to use the Vodafone network.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Two phone companies on two different systems. Vodafone = sim card, Telecom = no sim card.
If you are bringing over a sim card phone from elsewhere you may need to get it unlocked for it to work on the NZ system, and you will only be able to use the Vodafone network.
We had a rather cheap mobile in UK so we just used up our credit at Heathrow took out the sim card and dropped phone in rubbish bin. My afterthought was, were we being watched by security cameras as potential terrorists. Maybe we did not look like typical terrorists, I suppose the 8 large cases and 4 items of hand luggage gave that away. We were soon sorted with a mobile phone after arriving in Auckland. We bought a discount phone card (widely available) to ring back to UK from a phone box.

Rob
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:16 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pay-as-you-go phone from Virgin Mobile in the US. If I get it unlocked (if it's not already, apparently 70% of all mobiles come unlocked anyway), and get a SIM card for it, can I use it in NZ? The Virgin Mobile people didn't address SIM cards, but just told me "no, our phones won't work outside the US". How likely is this to be true?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:48 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
I have a pay-as-you-go phone from Virgin Mobile in the US.
Sadly Virgin Mobile uses CDMA in the US so the phones can't do GSM and don't have SIM cards so you can't use them on other networks. For anyone else with a US mobile here is a list of the technology used by each company.

UK mobiles all use GSM so will work with Vodafone NZ (but not Telecom NZ) if unlocked.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:55 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
Sadly Virgin Mobile uses CDMA in the US so the phones can't do GSM and don't have SIM cards so you can't use them on other networks. For anyone else with a US mobile here is a list of the technology used by each company.

UK mobiles all use GSM so will work with Vodafone NZ (but not Telecom NZ) if unlocked.
Excellent info cypherpunk! Thank you ever so much.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Hi Maz1 - My son just got back from a trip to the UK. Whilst there he bought a motorola - Vodafone PAYG - got back here and took the UK sim card out and replaced it with a NZ vodafone sim card and works fine - no unlocking and so far no hassle.