Mobile Phones

Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of
Default Mobile Phones

Hi all!

Hubby and the kids have asked me to post this, so here goes!
Can you take your mobiles and use them in NZ as you do in the UK or is it totally different? Can you keep the same sim cards?

Is there already a thread about this? If so, where is it?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:47 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones

Hi Cathy

There's a couple of posts in the really useful thread about mobile phones...copied them over for you..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=30

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=31

Not sure if they answer your question but it's a start anyway!!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:01 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nivlem
Hi all!

Can you take your mobiles and use them in NZ as you do in the UK or is it totally different? Can you keep the same sim cards?

We're on Orange, and have been told we can take the phones, but the rates if we stay on the contract are ridiculous (70p a min to make, 35 a min to receive, so if we call each other in NZ it's £1.05 a minute). The phones would work, but would need to be unlocked to accept SIM cards sold over there. So we're flogging them all before we go, buying cheap PAYG ones when we land.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of

Thanks guys.
I'll let the OH and the kids make sense of that!

(Jan, sent you PM)

Cathy x
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The phones will work on Vodafone NZ, but will need to be unlocked if not already. This costs anything from free to £30 in UK, search google or ebay for "unlock" and your phone model to find out. Most nokias are free to unlock. Then all you need is a NZ PAYG SIM card. Phones aren't cheap in NZ, so probably best to unlock yours or buy an unlocked or sim-free one on ebay here.

Hi all!

Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
The phones will work on Vodafone NZ, but will need to be unlocked if not already. This costs anything from free to £30 in UK, search google or ebay for "unlock" and your phone model to find out. Most nokias are free to unlock. Then all you need is a NZ PAYG SIM card. Phones aren't cheap in NZ, so probably best to unlock yours or buy an unlocked or sim-free one on ebay here.
That's excellent news! All ours are nokias! Will do just that! Thank you, and k on its way!

Cathy x
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:58 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

That's excellent news! All ours are nokias! Will do just that! Thank you, and k on its way!

Cathy x
I bought a Sony Ericcson with camera etc for £60. Paid Vodaphone £20 to have it unlocked and £25 to buy a NZ sim card.

Theoretically when I get off the plane I should be 'ready to go' for £100 all in.

Good thing about doing it that way round is you have a NZ phone number before you arrive and also if someone calls your mobile from the UK you don't have to pay for it!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get your NZ SIM card from vodafone in UK? This sounds like a good idea - do you just go into a shop? I'm currently with Orange but plan to unlock and go to Vodafone PAYG when we move in October. It would be great to have NZ phone numbers in advance.

Originally Posted by Biddy
I bought a Sony Ericcson with camera etc for £60. Paid Vodaphone £20 to have it unlocked and £25 to buy a NZ sim card.

Theoretically when I get off the plane I should be 'ready to go' for £100 all in.

Good thing about doing it that way round is you have a NZ phone number before you arrive and also if someone calls your mobile from the UK you don't have to pay for it!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

If you want to unlock your Nokias, have a look here:

http://www.unlockme.co.uk/unlockme.html

I've tried this method, it works and you need no cables etc.

Cathy x
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:12 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get your NZ SIM card from vodafone in UK? This sounds like a good idea - do you just go into a shop? I'm currently with Orange but plan to unlock and go to Vodafone PAYG when we move in October. It would be great to have NZ phone numbers in advance.
I used this comany:
http://www.0044.co.uk/

Seemed pretty efficient - worth a look.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tvm - karma sent
Originally Posted by Biddy
I used this comany:
http://www.0044.co.uk/

Seemed pretty efficient - worth a look.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:14 pm
Give us a kiss

tvm - karma sent
Thanks - don't forget to leave a message though
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:00 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

I simply dont understand how these things work with the phones. My son who is in the UK took his NZ vodaphone with him & yes it works over there with his NZ number. It was getting a little expensive for him to operate though so he brought a new one over there. For some strange reason though I cant get through to him on the UK one but have no problem with the NZ one. Now the poor chap is keeping two phones going. The UK one for everyone else & his NZ one for Mum. Feel a little guilty but love him for keeping them both going. Wonders why My USA cell phone wont recognise the UK one but will the NZ one hope you guys have better luck with them than Im having