British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mobile phone for recce (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mobile-phone-recce-491491/)

custard creams Nov 3rd 2007 11:02 pm

Mobile phone for recce

Hi, i am visiting Tauranga next week:D for a good look around. i may possibly have a couple of interviews and would need to have a contact number.
Should I wait until I arrive and buy a pay as you go phone? or are there any alternatives?
also I will be looking at accommadation in tauranga or papamoa for a week if anyone has any recommendations.
As I will be on my own so basic accommadation is fine.

thanks, 5 days to go:thumbsup::thumbsup:

happynz Nov 3rd 2007 11:06 pm

Re: Mobile phone for recce

If you have a phone with a sim card I believe you could bring that over and whack in a Vodafone sim card and you'd be sweet easy as...However, charges are sorta high priced, on the pre-paid it's something like NZ$1.50 a minute to make calls, NZ$0.20 to send a text. It's free though to receive calls and text messages.

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 12:06 am

I wish people would do their research before replying.

In the UK I used to work for Orange you know cellphone people. You bring a Phone over from the Uk make sure its unlocked from the network your with.
How do you know? Ask in a phone shop simple as that or contact the supplier of your phone or network.

If your handset is unlocked just buy a prepay pack for Vodafone when you get to New Zealand. You cant use Telecom so no choice you have to use Vodafone sim cards. If your phone does not have a sim card (highly unlikely) you will have to buy a complete phone.

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/personal/p...epay-plans.jsp

You will pay 49c per minute to make calls or $1.39 only if you ring Telecom Mobiles.

Eitherway it is cheaper than using the roaming call costs of a UK Mobile.

custard creams Nov 4th 2007 12:16 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5506999)
If you have a phone with a sim card I believe you could bring that over and whack in a Vodafone sim card and you'd be sweet easy as...However, charges are sorta high priced, on the pre-paid it's something like NZ$1.50 a minute to make calls, NZ$0.20 to send a text. It's free though to receive calls and text messages.

Hi, Thanks,

As I only have a company phone I will need to buy one, should I buy a phone in the UK or in NZ? Do you have an idea o f the cost of a mobile in NZ?
thanks

happynz Nov 4th 2007 12:22 am

Thanks Pete for correcting my reply. :o

Anyway, Richard...I've seen pretty basic pre-pay Vodafone Motorola or Nokia mobiles at Dick Smith's (a electronics chain store all over the country) for as little as NZ$90.

Evilbert Nov 4th 2007 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell (Post 5507168)
I wish people would do their research before replying.

In the UK I used to work for Orange you know cellphone people. You bring a Phone over from the Uk make sure its unlocked from the network your with.
How do you know? Ask in a phone shop simple as that or contact the supplier of your phone or network.

If your handset is unlocked just buy a prepay pack for Vodafone when you get to New Zealand. You cant use Telecom so no choice you have to use Vodafone sim cards. If your phone does not have a sim card (highly unlikely) you will have to buy a complete phone.

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/personal/p...epay-plans.jsp

You will pay 49c per minute to make calls or $1.39 only if you ring Telecom Mobiles.

Eitherway it is cheaper than using the roaming call costs of a UK Mobile.

Why can't you use telecom sim cards? Does that mean the choice is vodafone and...erm.... vodafone?

happynz Nov 4th 2007 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Evilbert (Post 5507201)
Why can't you use telecom sim cards? Does that mean the choice is vodafone and...erm.... vodafone?

I think Telecom mobiles don't use sim cards. At least that is what I have heard.

Pete? ;)

custard creams Nov 4th 2007 12:39 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5507214)
I think Telecom mobiles don't use sim cards. At least that is what I have heard.

Pete? ;)

thanks Pete,

what do you think is the best value, considering I need to be contactable in NZ and also to be able to call my family in the UK each day?

thanks

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Evilbert
Actually its Shell replying better sort that one day :lol:

Telecom mobiles do not have sim cards.

what do you think is the best value, considering I need to be contactable in NZ and also to be able to call my family in the UK each day?
The question really is how long are you planning to be in New Zealand at this stage? I think you have indicated at a week?

If thats the case you would be better off just getting a Vodafone sim card for your UK mobile provided its network unlocked.

There is no differrance in rates on pre pay what ever way you go you will be paying 49c per minute to call the UK or any landline or that network mobile in New Zealand.

You use Vodafone to ring Telecom mobile or vica versa you will pay $1.39 per minute.

Just for your info numbers starting 021 is Vodafone and 027 is Telecom.

What ever you choose someone will tell you differant.:lol:

Evilbert Nov 4th 2007 1:53 am

Totally stupid question now, but can I use my current UK sim card (O2) when out in NZ? I can appreciate it will be more expensive, but for recce purposes it might not be worth the hassle of getting another sim card?

mcuddy1 Nov 4th 2007 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Evilbert (Post 5507465)
Totally stupid question now, but can I use my current UK sim card (O2) when out in NZ? I can appreciate it will be more expensive, but for recce purposes it might not be worth the hassle of getting another sim card?

O2 will have roaming agreement with the GSM provider here.(Voda) Telecom is cdma at the moment but they are changing to the GSM standard.
So yes it will work fine. All my O2 business phones I brought worked with a Voda sim card.
I would buy a phone in the UK and bring it with you, they seem very expensive over here.

garryhg Nov 4th 2007 2:34 am

hi jacky g here... i got a nice little nokia phone with sim in the wearhouse for $39.99 vodaphone....its been a good phone....theres not the same pressure out here to get the latest mobile,:thumbsup:

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 2:59 am

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 5507505)
hi jacky g here... i got a nice little nokia phone with sim in the wearhouse for $39.99 vodaphone....its been a good phone....theres not the same pressure out here to get the latest mobile,:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::eek:thats cheap

garryhg Nov 4th 2007 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell (Post 5507562)
:thumbsup::eek:thats cheap

that was very cheap,very chuffed with myself:thumbsup:

Woodlea Nov 4th 2007 8:13 am

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 5507488)
Telecom is cdma at the moment but they are changing to the GSM standard

When are Telecom changing to GSM mcuddy? It surely won't be soon or all those Telecom phones will become obsolete?