British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mobile phone network?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mobile-phone-network-686044/)

Shazmoo Sep 19th 2010 12:16 pm

Mobile phone network?!

Hi all, anyone any reccomendations when it comes to a mobile fone contract network? I looked a vodafone but theres look pretty expensive!! not very many mins and texts for the price of contract!!
Call me geek but I want an iphone :wub: and im only finding vodafone, anyone got any others? or others that do good deals on international calls?
Cheers
Shaz x

rushmere Sep 19th 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Mobile phone network?!

I've been looking at www.2degreesmobile.co.nz, they seem to have some pretty good deals (so long as you're in the more populated parts of nz). They were pre-pay only, but they've just launched a very attractive contract deal. Their international rates also seem better than most other mobile networks.

Vodafone is the only "official" iPhone provider in NZ, but if you look here, you'll see that it's possible to get one working on any of the 3 nz main mobile networks.

lisamct Sep 19th 2010 11:42 pm

I have an unlocked iphone from the UK and I'm on 2degrees here (pre-pay although will look into the contract now they're offering it)
The national and international texts and call charges are very good I think so I'd definitely recommend them.

Jo-Chris Sep 19th 2010 11:54 pm

I am also with 2degrees and have had no problems so far, everything is very easy to set up and use. I have an unlocked UK Nokia N96 that works fine over here. :D

rason Sep 20th 2010 4:41 am

2degrees all the way, still not really cheap but better than the rest

Shazmoo Sep 20th 2010 10:17 am

Originally Posted by rason (Post 8860709)

2degrees, ok thanks all thats great!

simonsi Sep 20th 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by rason (Post 8860709)

I´m not aware of any other network that lets you text UK mobiles for $0.09 - which is the same domestic non-2deg mobile rate...they have our vote, and texting to other 2deg mobiles is only $0.02 :thumbsup:

rason Sep 20th 2010 11:01 am

How do you get that rate from 2degrees? it costs me 44c to text the UK

Shazmoo Sep 20th 2010 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8861189)
I´m not aware of any other network that lets you text UK mobiles for $0.09 - which is the same domestic non-2deg mobile rate...they have our vote, and texting to other 2deg mobiles is only $0.02 :thumbsup:

It's not as good as the UK tho is it I get free text and about 500 free mins for 20quid a month, and i really wanted the contract as i use alot of internet on my iphone and it wud be too expensive on a prepay, might look into vodafone, but hopfully 2 deg will start doing contract by time i get out there!:fingerscrossed:

rushmere Sep 20th 2010 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Shazmoo (Post 8861437)
It's not as good as the UK tho is it I get free text and about 500 free mins for 20quid a month, and i really wanted the contract as i use alot of internet on my iphone and it wud be too expensive on a prepay, might look into vodafone, but hopfully 2 deg will start doing contract by time i get out there!:fingerscrossed:

2degrees have already started contracts. It's $39 per month, and you get 120 minutes and 600 texts. Any unused minutes also rollover to the next month. You get an extra 100 minutes per month for a year if you sign up before the end of October.

Also bear in mind that you get 100 free texts on PAYG if you top up by at least $10 per month, plus your call costs halve to 22c per minute. Maybe not quite as good as the UK, but very good by NZ standards! You can also buy 100 minutes for $30, and get 1000 texts for $10 (on PAYG or contract).

Shazmoo Sep 20th 2010 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by rushmere (Post 8861647)
2degrees have already started contracts. It's $39 per month, and you get 120 minutes and 600 texts. Any unused minutes also rollover to the next month. You get an extra 100 minutes per month for a year if you sign up before the end of October.

Also bear in mind that you get 100 free texts on PAYG if you top up by at least $10 per month, plus your call costs halve to 22c per minute. Maybe not quite as good as the UK, but very good by NZ standards! You can also buy 100 minutes for $30, and get 1000 texts for $10 (on PAYG or contract).

Oh thanks so much, that does sound like a good bargain, i think i'm best getting an unlocked iphone and getting a contract sim with 2degrees. That sounds like the best plan!
Everything is so different!! how will i get used to it all!! :confused:

simonsi Sep 21st 2010 12:38 am

Originally Posted by rason (Post 8861260)
How do you get that rate from 2degrees? it costs me 44c to text the UK

No idea, 9c per text to the UK is their std pricing. Calls are 44c a min tho check www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/calling-overseas

simonsi Sep 21st 2010 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Shazmoo (Post 8861437)
It's not as good as the UK tho is it

Well here´s the thing, you aren´t in the UK any more when you are here.

How much is petrol in the UK now...hmmm, I see :rofl:

rason Sep 21st 2010 8:51 am

ah i was looking at calling mobs. sweet az