Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone + Mobile Broadband

Mobile Phone + Mobile Broadband

Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mobile Phone + Mobile Broadband

Ok peeps,

Now that our flights are booked I need to sort out (or at least plan to) a mobile phone and a broadband solution whilst we're in NZ.

Given that there's a good chance we'll be travelling around in a motorhome once we land, I'll need a Mobile Broadband connection (I run an online company here in the UK and need as much access to the website(s) as possible whilst on the move) to see me through until we establish a permanent base etc.

In terms of a phone, I have a Blackberry here in the UK, but (admittedly without checking) I'm assuming the call and data charges would be prohibitive to use mid-long term in NZ... how easy is it to pick up a Blackberry or equivalent in NZ in terms of me being a new arrival with no NZ-based Credit History etc?... additionally does anyone have any specific experience of mobile broadband provision in NZ and which companies should I be considering and which should I dismiss.

All help much appreciated.

TheDTB.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:11 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phone + Mobile Broadband

www.2degreesmobile.co.nz
would be your best bet, new to the market and prices are way lower than either Vodafone or Telecom. Simcard should work in a UK phone but check your phone is unlocked (if you read the help bit on 2degrees website it tells you what will work)

Or alternatively www.vodafone.co.nz
If you have a UK vodafone, get it unlocked before leaving a pick yourself up a pay as you go simcard at the airport

Think they do Pay as you go mobile roaming too
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-bro...n-is-right.jsp

Hope that helps
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:47 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

hi
Vodaphone have a "pay as you go" mobile broadband service carried on the 3G network, just like in the UK. The main difference is that whereas the UK USB modem costs 39 pounds the NZ one costs $300.

However, I've discovered that if you buy a UK modem, get it unlocked and fit a NZ Vodaphone SIM it will work in NZ just fine.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:26 pm
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thedtb
Ok peeps,

Now that our flights are booked I need to sort out (or at least plan to) a mobile phone ...solution whilst we're in NZ.

TheDTB.
If you want a PAYG sim buy one from http://www.0044.co.uk/NewZealand.htm before you leave the UK. Buy it online and get it posted to you for next day delivery. This way you can tell all your friends and family your new NZ mobile number before you leave for NZ.

Last edited by asiatic; Aug 17th 2009 at 10:27 pm. Reason: bad typing