Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone and internet recommendations

Mobile phone and internet recommendations

Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:26 am
Just Joined

moomooandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile phone and internet recommendations

Still planning on landing in tauranga between Christmas and New Year but still no visas TEG keep ensuring me that this is perfectly normal so I;ve got fingers and legs crossed. Anyone got any recommendations for mobile phone and internet companies?? Thanks again
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Adamski444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile phone and internet recommendations

Hey there. We got here about 2 weeks ago and moved into our place a few days ago. I did some research before I came and ended up getting Vodafone Internet and landline as it gave a discount with sky (which we wanted for sport). It so happens our house is in their own infrastructure area so a small discount.

We both bought our unlocked iPhones with us and in the short term have opted for PAYG micro sims from 2 degrees until we work out the best long term options. They do a package for $19 a month for about 30mins, 2500 texts and about 50MB of data - not bad for PAYG. We will have to learn to text alot more!!

Let me know if you want any further details of have any questions.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moomooandy
Still planning on landing in tauranga between Christmas and New Year but still no visas TEG keep ensuring me that this is perfectly normal so I;ve got fingers and legs crossed. Anyone got any recommendations for mobile phone and internet companies?? Thanks again
Hi there,

I've also got an unlocked phone and opted for PAYG with 2 degrees, same package as Adamski.

As for broadband, took a risk with Orcon genius by taking out a 24mth contract. It gives 50GB of data, no line rental, and free local calls for $75 a month. Its been a really good deal up to now with no service problems and its just as fast as the broadband we had in the UK.

Good luck with the visa.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:04 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BevK
took a risk with Orcon genius by taking out a 24mth contract.
Why did you feel the risk, because of the contract term??
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonsi
Why did you feel the risk, because of the contract term??
Orcon genius being a new concept, i.e, voice over the internet, they seemed to be having a few problems according to some of the reviews that I had read which meant I'd be stuck with it for 2 years. Also, my sister in law has telecom broadband and its soooo slow, so I didnt know what to expect of Orcon. But alas, nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 7:36 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:10 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We use 2 degrees for personal phone, and Slingshot for internets. I've tried Orcon and Telecom. Orcon pretty good. Telecom I'd say avoid.

Slingshot have been good, well priced, lots of data for the money, good service and good support when needed.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is actually ahead of much of the world (UK included) in this regard, mainly through complete lack of investment in the Telecom network prior to the current CEO being there.

This has meant that the old copper lines network will be shut down in the not too distant future, and all voice calls will travel over IP, via something known as 'Naked broadband' (don't laugh too much).

Most companies provide naked broadband already, which is why there is no copper line and hence no line rental.

Orcon are pretty darn good I reckon but limited in terms of coverage, as Slingshot I think would be. Vodafone are putting a lot of investment into this and would be good if you can get a high speed area from them.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I've also got an unlocked phone and opted for PAYG with 2 degrees, same package as Adamski.

As for broadband, took a risk with Orcon genius by taking out a 24mth contract. It gives 50GB of data, no line rental, and free local calls for $75 a month. Its been a really good deal up to now with no service problems and its just as fast as the broadband we had in the UK.

Good luck with the visa.
Yep I've done exactly the same. 2 degrees for mobile, Orcon Genius for broadband...no complaints so far
Old Dec 15th 2011, 10:49 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Most companies provide naked broadband already, which is why there is no copper line and hence no line rental.

Orcon are pretty darn good I reckon but limited in terms of coverage
Any DSL broadband runs down the copper wires. We can't do without copper until you get fibre rolled out to your door. It is just a deregulation pricing feature that means when you only run broadband down the "phone line" and no phone service it is cheaper to rent from Telecom.

Genius is available on most of the Telecom network. Can't comment on others.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 7:03 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Good luck with the visa.
We have Orcon, on a 24mth contract and for the first three months had nothing but trouble. Fortunately Simonsi works for Orcon and quickly got it sorted . We've now been almost 3 months trouble free and have a great service with both the phone and internet.
As for mobile, I've been a 2 degrees customer for 20 months but have recently moved into a new house in Manly and lost signal at home. Moved over to Vodafone and am now wondering why I didn't do it earlier...
Old Dec 18th 2011, 7:40 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by sirplug
As for mobile, I've been a 2 degrees customer for 20 months but have recently moved into a new house in Manly and lost signal at home. Moved over to Vodafone and am now wondering why I didn't do it earlier...
Bizarre, 2Deg runs off Vfone when you are outside their network - I had endless trouble when running my Nokia for sat-nav with a 2Deg sim, kept getting endless roaming warnings when in a weak signal area.

Glad all is still good!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Any DSL broadband runs down the copper wires. We can't do without copper until you get fibre rolled out to your door. It is just a deregulation pricing feature that means when you only run broadband down the "phone line" and no phone service it is cheaper to rent from Telecom.

Genius is available on most of the Telecom network. Can't comment on others.
Sorry, for the sake of clarity, yes you still have a copper line of course, however what you don't get is one charge for BB and another that is mandatory for the PSTN phone line, something that does not happen in the UK. So you are able to pay just for BB and then run a VoIP service over the BB without a separate charge for a PSTN line. It is known as naked BB.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:50 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Robbo25
It is known as naked BB.
Yes, I know. I work in the industry, that is just the point I was clarifying.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:36 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre, 2Deg runs off Vfone when you are outside their network !
Yes, I know....Vodafone rep couldn't explain it either!

And thanks for sorting the Genius out, have a great Christmas!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.