Mobile broadband

Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future
Default Mobile broadband

Hi peeps

Whats the quickest way for me to pickup a mobile broadband dongle when I arrive? Do any places sell pre-paid ones? Is it possible to buy one in the UK to use abroad?

We'll need to sort this out for the first few weeks to hunt for houses etc...

Cheers!
R
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Re: Mobile broadband

When I was there at Christmas I just went to the nearest Telecom shop and got a PAYG mobile broadband package.
John.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:44 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I used my mobile via a cable and it was plenty fast enough for house-hunting et al for the first few weeks until we found a rental and could get ADSL on the phone line. 2 Degrees data is $6 per 50Mb, you can get 512Mb for $30 on Vodafone for which you can buy a dongle at any Vfone shop or kiosk in various malls - that is pre-pay. 2 Degrees do the same dongle on their network but you have to web order AFAIK...the dongles are around $100 with some credit loaded IIRC....
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Ok guys thanks for the information - we'll be sorting out our iphones pretty quickly when we get there with vodafone so we'll have mobile browsing... I'll also get one of those prepay dongles for the first month or so before securing a place.

Ta
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

I bought one of these on 2degrees when I first arrived. It allows multiple devices (including iPhones) to share a single mobile internet connection and works well. Mine came with 2GB of data pre-loaded. You can also get a "normal" USB dongle from 2degrees if you prefer. I bought it from a Dick Smith store rather than on-line though. The mobile data rates are probably the cheapest in New Zealand: 1GB for $20 (valid for 30 days), 3GB for $50 (valid for 60 days).

Incidentally, I also connected my iPhone to 2degrees rather than Vodafone. It's a lot cheaper (if you're within 2degrees coverage area).

There's a good App in the iTunes App Store here to set up an iPhone with any NZ carrier.

Last edited by rushmere; Mar 21st 2011 at 8:29 pm.