Missing Family

Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future
Question Missing Family

Hi

My husband and I have decided we are going to emigrate and were always keen on Europe particularly Spain, however a friend at my husbands work emigrated with all his family and this got us interested in New Zealand which appeals to us,we have a young family so feel now is the best time for us and no language barrier. However Spain is obviously a couple of hours away and easy to visit UK, I do not have a particularly close family as we do not live near each other and accept that if I moved to NZ would probably not see them for a couple of years. Would like other Expats experiences of missing family etc

Helen
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:32 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing Family

Originally Posted by helenp
Hi

My husband and I have decided we are going to emigrate and were always keen on Europe particularly Spain, however a friend at my husbands work emigrated with all his family and this got us interested in New Zealand which appeals to us,we have a young family so feel now is the best time for us and no language barrier. However Spain is obviously a couple of hours away and easy to visit UK, I do not have a particularly close family as we do not live near each other and accept that if I moved to NZ would probably not see them for a couple of years. Would like other Expats experiences of missing family etc

Helen
Hi Helen, I would have to say that the ONLY thing that is not perfect for me regarding our move to NZ is that I miss my family. I would never change the fact that we are here cos I love it more than anything - but if my mum, dad, brother and closest friend would all move over here too, my life would be complete
However, web cams!! I do have a close family and we have found that web cams are the answer! I speak to my mum about every 2 days. We set them all up before we left so that we could practice, and it works perfectly.But to be honest, most of the time I dont think about it too much and when i do I email mum and arrange to see her the following day!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Hi Helen, I would have to say that the ONLY thing that is not perfect for me regarding our move to NZ is that I miss my family. I would never change the fact that we are here cos I love it more than anything - but if my mum, dad, brother and closest friend would all move over here too, my life would be complete
However, web cams!! I do have a close family and we have found that web cams are the answer! I speak to my mum about every 2 days. We set them all up before we left so that we could practice, and it works perfectly.But to be honest, most of the time I dont think about it too much and when i do I email mum and arrange to see her the following day!
Thanks for your reply Webcams sounds like a good idea.

Helen
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:42 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Webcams sounds like a good idea.

Helen
Skype have now upgraded to include Webcams as standard with their internet telephone service. Worth a look.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

manunited is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Missing Family

Very difficult proposition. Personal point of view, dont really miss my fam,maybe bro, but it so depends on a million things. NOWHERE in the modern world is too far away.
NZ is great for us lot....
Good luck whatever
Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:56 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

This is definitely the worse thing about moving overseas, and I miss them all like mad, particularly my best friend who still hasn't even got the hang of e-mail, so Skype or webcam are no-goes. But you do get used to it, it's a difficult adjustment, but one you do make and being in NZ does compensate for a lot of things you miss.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya.... the first few weeks was the worse for me. I missed everyone like mad, I hated living in the middle of Auckland, I just wanted to catch the next flight home! I couldnt get over how built up everywhere was and how small the gardens were....I felt penned in, I'm just a simple country girl!!

We've been here 8 months now and finally I am beginning to embrace our new life here. I've made some good friends and I have no thoughts to go back to the UK now.... what a change around.

We chat via skype and webcam every weekend to the in-laws.... I talk to my parents using Skype every weekend.... I look forward to speaking to them every week and it kept me sane during the first few terrible months.

Ive never experienced homesickness before.... its awful.... but you get through it if you dont give up after 6 months like a lot do.... I'm keeping myself busy, Ive got a new part time job to look forward to. I go out and about with my toddler every day to Playgroups and swimming etc, if we have nothing planned we just walk down to the beach and dig holes!

My parents arrive on saturday for 3 weeks.... I expect when they leave I will experince all the horrible feelings all over again.... my plan is to keep busy and hopefully I'll be OK.

Good luck with your moving plans.

SarahB
Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Missing Family

Thanks for the advice it seems keeping yourself busy seems to be the answer, I have a baby and a four year old so that should keep me very busy and intend to work aswell. I have watched programmes on people emigrating and the partner that does not settle well is usually the one which does not work and has a lot of time on their hands.

Helen
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice it seems keeping yourself busy seems to be the answer, I have a baby and a four year old so that should keep me very busy and intend to work aswell. I have watched programmes on people emigrating and the partner that does not settle well is usually the one which does not work and has a lot of time on their hands.

Helen
Youre so right! My partner settled in straight away... but it took me months and months. I was bored and lonely, with nobody to talk to when things went wrong and nobody to help me with DS. I have to admit I was jealous that he went off to work too. I've always worked so it was a total wake up call for me. I got off my butt in November and started looking for work but good part time work is hard to find. Finally last week got offered part time work... I start next week. I'm over the moon about it...
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Missing Family

Originally Posted by SarahB
Youre so right! My partner settled in straight away... but it took me months and months. I was bored and lonely, with nobody to talk to when things went wrong and nobody to help me with DS. I have to admit I was jealous that he went off to work too. I've always worked so it was a total wake up call for me. I got off my butt in November and started looking for work but good part time work is hard to find. Finally last week got offered part time work... I start next week. I'm over the moon about it...
I went back to work 4 months ago after a couple of years at home with my eldest which I did enjoy but when Cerys my baby came along in August it didn't take me long to realise I needed a break from nappies etc So I have a happy balance now work has its ups and downs but it gets you out of the house and makes you feel like you have a life. good luck in your new job.

Helen