Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Miserable /Unhappy in NZ - for those unhappy in/with NZ

Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miserable /Unhappy in NZ - for those unhappy in/with NZ

Originally Posted by Scouse Dave
I don't hate it in NZ, but don't delude yourself (as the Kiwis do) that they aren't into the "stuff", because they sure as heck are. You get judged by the quality of the car you drive and the size of your section/house/TV - if anything, more obviously than when we were in St Albans. It amuses me really (probably because I DO have money) but I find it disconcerting at the same time. My neighbour, for example, is renting because they lost their house last year. They can't afford to buy again, yet he just paid $140,000 for a BMW X5.

Also, we were at a school "do" a week or two back. One of the kids was being a little shit pushing and hitting the others. I watched him have a go at my son two or three times, but as my lad was giving as good as he got, I left it. However, the little turd then had a go as our two year old girl, at which point my Mrs strode over to him and made him say sorry. Sound fair?

When she got back, this Kiwi guy who was standing next to me started laying into my Mrs about telling off HIS son! Yep - he'd been watching too, and had done nothing. So he kept on ranting at the Mrs, so I advised him to shut up - who wouldn't? He then launched into a whole diatribe about the English and must've told me a dozen times with his croaky voice that I didn't frighten him.

So he encapsulated rudeness, ignorance, bad parenting and racism. All in one. I regret it now, but I ended up chinning him....well, he was rude to the Mrs! :curse:

well done you , i hate seeing parents that just stand and watch there kids bully, me best friend is like that and i just want to shake her lol
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Dave
It amuses me really (probably because I DO have money) but I find it disconcerting at the same time. My neighbour, for example, is renting because they lost their house last year. They can't afford to buy again, yet he just paid $140,000 for a BMW X5.
That's just dumb....poor sense of priorities.....for what it's worth I don't think there is as much 'keeping up with Jones' pressure here....but there are bound to be dumb people everywhere who succumb and turn themsleves into marketer's/advertiser's dreams.
One example a not especially materialistic UK relative came to visit and commented on what a 'basic car' we had chosen....it had 5000 km on clock when we bought it, had been a garage demonstrator model and had been paid for in full in excess of 25,000 dollars (cars are cheaper here)....what planet are some people on?...a car is a depreciating asset..it is the last thing you should be sinking massive amounts of money into. I choose on NCAP crash safety ratings and being big enough to fit my family in....not how much they cost/how flash they are.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:44 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
That's just dumb....poor sense of priorities.....for what it's worth I don't think there is as much 'keeping up with Jones' pressure here....but there are bound to be dumb people everywhere who succumb and turn themsleves into marketer's/advertiser's dreams.
One example a not especially materialistic UK relative came to visit and commented on what a 'basic car' we had chosen....it had 5000 km on clock when we bought it, had been a garage demonstrator model and had been paid for in full in excess of 25,000 dollars (cars are cheaper here)....what planet are some people on?...a car is a depreciating asset..it is the last thing you should be sinking massive amounts of money into. I choose on NCAP crash safety ratings and being big enough to fit my family in....not how much they cost/how flash they are.
Sorry off topic, but I know a family here who couldn't pay the phone bill but had a new Range Rover?! English. Moved over with pounds and bought a house then felt rich on the leftovers - so spent it all on, as you say, a depreciating asset?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kempster
The articles I posted from the Mail were about incidents in the UK. Maybe
you should read them before you comment and take your blinkers off.

If you give me a list of 'approved' newspapers then I'll make sure to quote from them in the future.
mmm.....were you scrutinising the stopwatch as I waded through the normal tripe on the Daily Moan's webshite?

Anyway I am probably one of those parents setting a bad example as I threw a couple or three plastic bottles at some dick who was standing up in the aisle on the terrace at Eden Park for the last Tri-Nations game - got a round of applause when the second one to hit made the idiot turn round and sit down. Dumb Aussie twit........suppose my son will be scarred for life.

Anyway I can't read newsprint so I have no "approved" list of UK rags, but I do have some scepticism that you know anything about grass roots sport in NZ - please enlighten us???

There are parts of AKL where keeping up with whoever is important as is where your kids are educated and whether you went to Auckland Grammar.......
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Sorry off topic, but I know a family here who couldn't pay the phone bill but had a new Range Rover?! English. Moved over with pounds and bought a house then felt rich on the leftovers - so spent it all on, as you say, a depreciating asset?
lol am loolah

i know someone similar. my sister in law 2 years ago bought a beautiful merc with private regi which is fine but her husband who doesnt wear the trousers may i add used to laugh and say yea lovely car but cant affoard the petrol, how true this was they ended up selling there house and bought an ex council house half the size in a not to good area ... she still has her car and boy does it stick out in her street lol
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:58 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
our neighour was the same in the UK when we were kids, no stair carpets but a Jensen, Merc and MG on the drive, followed by a "real" bankrupcy.......later found out he had previous for fraud.......
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:58 am
Banned

Kempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really nice

Originally Posted by lardyl
Anyway I can't read newsprint so I have no "approved" list of UK rags, but I do have some scepticism that you know anything about grass roots sport in NZ - please enlighten us???

There are parts of AKL where keeping up with whoever is important as is where your kids are educated and whether you went to Auckland Grammar.......

It's simple. Like I've said I was commenting on events in the UK.
I was not commenting on what happens in NZ.

I repeat, I was commenting on events in the UK (do you understand yet)?

If somebody says those sort of things don't happen in the UK and I point out that they do then I don't see where you get the idea I was commenting on what happens in NZ.

You make a pun about the 'Moan' but you seem to do plenty of that yourself.

Can you read online versions of newspapers? If so, give me your approved list. Actually don't bother. There must be a reason you don't want to say.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:02 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Hmm, I think it is more prevelant than people realise. My husband worked with someone who was using his credit cards to pay off his mortgage. Flash house, flashy 4x4. In debt upto his ears. He was a kiwi not a brit he told my husband loads of kiwis do this. It was in 2006 though but I don't think attitudes change that much in 3 years. Don't forget they get many American programs which depict high school kids with everything, then the kiwi kids just look at what they have. Makes me wonder if thats why the teenage suicide rate is very high!!. These progrmas just make them realise how poor they are.
Just my penneth worth
Jo
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

If somebody says those sort of things don't happen in the UK and I point out that they do then I don't see where you get the idea I was commenting on what happens in NZ.

Can you read online versions of newspapers? If so, give me your approved list. Actually don't bother. There must be a reason you don't want to say.
But why are you posting on 'unhappy thread' if you don't want to hear people say negative things?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Um.Just to remind folk , this is about

Keep on topic please. You may include stuff that poxes you off about NZ.

So speaketh the mod whose name is mud.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:19 am
you dewty owld maan!

See there you go, you forget that initially you told another poster who brought up *their experience in NZ* and how it was in their view *negative* and suggested that "it was just like that in UK", and when you are asked what you know of either situation you simply want to doge back to the position that you really don't personally know what it is like in either country..........so you rely on Google and the Daily Mail to make your points and then try to score more with name-calling......after skating around any facts that are brought up to counter your argument or move the discussion on.
Get off the silly hobby horse of "approved" sources and examine what you were trying to say..........and BTW, there are plenty of people who describe your pinnacle of journalistic achievement the "daily moan", I'm not that original - nice try.......
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:35 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not unhappy in NZ and I don't see in my daily life here some of the things those that are not so happy complain about, nor have I regularly come across the Kiwis as described by some of the posts above, but two people can watch the same thing and get totally different messages from it. I was just wondering if those that are unhappy where they are would consider moving elsewhere in NZ to see if it was any different? An earlier poster on this thread suggested that the majority of those posting their dissatisfaction were on the north island. I don't know if that is true but would any of you consider moving south to see if it really is like a different country (as so many think it is)?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:35 am
Banned

Kempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really niceKempster is just really nice

Originally Posted by lardyl
See there you go, you forget that initially you told another poster who brought up *their experience in NZ* and how it was in their view *negative* and suggested that "it was just like that in UK", and when you are asked what you know of either situation you simply want to doge back to the position that you really don't personally know what it is like in either country..........so you rely on Google and the Daily Mail to make your points and then try to score more with name-calling......after skating around any facts that are brought up to counter your argument or move the discussion on.
Get off the silly hobby horse of "approved" sources and examine what you were trying to say..........and BTW, there are plenty of people who describe your pinnacle of journalistic achievement the "daily moan", I'm not that original - nice try.......

My initial post questionned competitiveness and how it affects family life.

I then pointed out with 3 articles from the moan, similar incidents IN THE UK.

I was not asked 'what you know of either situation' but I have witnessed it in the UK, I thought a hard link to a newspaper article would be better.

If you want to quote my 'name-calling' then feel free.

If you wanted to give me your list of approved newspapers then I would have quoted from them. I asked several times and you say you can't read newsprint but you have no problem reading your computer screen. Newspapers are online you know?

You obviously have some sort of agenda. Good luck with it.

I'm off to the happy thread now
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:50 am
you dewty owld maan!

You obviously have some sort of agenda. Good luck with it.

I'm off to the happy thread now
agenda.....?
get a grip.........no don't bother, just head off to Palmy you'll be peachy.......remember to keep $5 as they charge you to fly out again......you probably know that already though.....and don't forget to visit Mt Cleese......
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

1) Thanks Lardyl for jumping to my defence whilst in my slumber
2) I do not hate NZ, and I do not try to put those off who choose to come!

I advise people as I see it, it is up to those who are reading to decide how they take my advice - please do feel free to search back on my posts. I try to be constructive and honest. I see no point in lying, liars always get found out in one way or another.

After all the work we put in trying to get here, I really do wish I could settle but I can't so my solution is to go. I only wish these negative threads were around when we were researching - the ones that tell you the 'real' problems and not just damp/cold houses and bad driving.

People do recce's here all the time, trying to work out of they want to move or not and decide after 2-4 weeks (or however long) that they do or don't. I see myself as having a 17 month long recce and have decided I do not want to stay. Why is that such a problem? I'm not hiding from the fact that stuff happens here because it doesn't affect me on a daily basis - it might affect my kids and if I've moved them to the other side of the world for a better life, I am failing them!

We have worked hard for a lot of years to earn what we have (in a financial and emotional sense) and we've never had to 'mend and make-do' and I don't think we deserve to have to live that life so we choose not to. On the flip side, if people want to live that life then so be it. Who am I to diss them for making a go of it and succeeding?! I have never wished anyone ill, whether I have had a problem with them for whatever reasons, I can discuss a topic without having to throw the toys out and start ranting/swearing at others for not sharing my viewpoint. Like I said earlier, I will advise people the best I can in as much a positive way as I can but only those reading decide how to take it or what to do with it. Who's problem is that then? Not mine.

If people don't want to read the negatives about NZ, then please god don't read a negative thread, or at least refrain from posting nastiness on it for those who don't share your views.

Armistice Day a couple of days ago... people fought and died so that people like us could have freedom of speech. How many of you remembered them? Yet as soon as the minutes silence is over, you're back to bashing down those who don't agree with you or tell you what you want to hear. A lot of double standards going on... yes, me included sometimes! I don't pretend to be an angel and can give as good as I get but I don't get all worked up to the point where I'm attacking other people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.