Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Miserable /Unhappy in NZ - for those unhappy in/with NZ

Miserable /Unhappy in NZ - for those unhappy in/with NZ

Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:46 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Miserable /Unhappy in NZ - for those unhappy in/with NZ

I thought I'd start this as a counterweight to the 'Really happy in New Zealand' thread because it's important to have balance in life.

Back on topic, I'm not 'really unhappy' here but I'm leaving New Zealand next January and I'd be telling a lie if I said I'll miss it. It was ok....very damp and a bit in-bred, but there were some nice animals and things. A bigger and slightly crappier version of Scotland, truth be told. And far, far better than the cities of the North of England, which is the hidden message in so many posts on this forum.

ANYWAY, this is a thread for people who are unhappy in New Zealand. The 'happy' people have their thread and now the 'unhappy' people have one for themselves*. East is East and West is West and......breast is best??
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:54 pm
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice
Default Niserable /Unhappy in NZ - for those unhappy in/with NZ

Totally and utterly brassed off with the place.

Even when the sun's shining no-one bloody smiles. It's so soul destroying. Miserable <snip> (kiwis that is)

God, I wish they could just lighten up and have a laugh instead of being sinister and dodgy.

I welcome the wave of immigration into this place but even the asians, africans and indians turn in to miserable people once they get a feel for their surroundings and realise what a weird and unfriendly place this is...

<snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 12th 2008 at 11:07 pm. Reason: please watch your tone if you want the thread to survive
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miserable/Unhappy in NZ

It's more common than people think to dislike NZ. I've met a few people (both on here and in 'real life' ) that are getting out of here asap. I even know of a South African who is planning on going back to SA to just 'get away' from NZ.

The thing with this place though (BE I mean) is the amount of people who are willing to shoot those down who don't love it here, I mean why on earth would it affect you if someone else decides not to like it? Like the great Forrest Gump says 'Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get'... some people love it, some people hate it, some just stay quiet for fear of being personally attacked/insulted by those who spend their time trolling around the boards looking for a fight.

Grow up people! If life is so rosy/not so rosy go and deal with it I'm sure your lives would be much better enriched if you didn't sit on forums slagging off those who oppose your own personal views.

Although, it is fun to watch while eating my popcorn
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:30 pm
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Well I am a nice & friendly person. I must be I hate it here!

Fact: NZ gives the least amount of donations to charity in the world.

I ran the the London Marathon in 2007 and to get any donations out of kiwi was like getting blood from a stone.....

Really made me quite sad to see first hand how awful these arseholes are...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:46 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr

Fact: NZ gives the least amount of donations to charity in the world.
The 'fact' is that the NZ Government gives the least amount - you know, that caring, sharing Government we just got rid of
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Miserable /Unhappy in NZ - for those unhappy in/with NZ

Hey thanks, finally a thread where I belong!!

Avid, your comment: "And far, far better than the cities of the North of England, which is the hidden message in so many posts on this forum" is absolutely spot on IMO. It's 'the great unspoken' . Took me ages to catch on, not being myself from N of E.

I don't even feel like talking about the negatives of NZ any more, I'm way beyond caring. For a while I felt I was stuck here - I've lost so much more financially, health-wise, family-wise than most (and probably any) other posters on BE - people might be shocked to know just how much - and I felt that that was it, I could never leave now. But optimist that I am, I've turned my thinking around completely - I am focused totally now on trying to salvage enough from the ruins, before it's too late, to get us out of here. I'm not young, and I've worked so hard all my life,sacrificing and saving to get to where I was at the time I arrived in NZ. Well, I am very street-wise, and certainly not naive , but I'm also not capable of distrusting everyone 24/7, but that's what you have to do - trust no-one - to manage in NZ, that's what NZers themselves think they have to do to 'survive' and for good reason it would appear! Nope, I just cannot be on my guard for 100% of the time. Likewise, I can't be hard as steel, it's not in me.

Anyway, I still have quite a few major hurdles to go - I just hope I can keep the strength up to get over them and out of here. I will kiss the ground of anywhere, anywhere, that I manage to make it to, I will be so relieved to be gone. God help me too if I ever let rose tinted spectacles about NZ come anywhere near me if things don't go well in my next destination (and I don't expect things to be easy, as I will now for the first time in my life be officially 'poor') - I am such an optimist that even after 5 1/2 years I STILL think sometimes that if I just make a bigger effort it will get better, it just can't really be this bad - but it IS, it really IS!!! For ME it is.

So to get back on the positive: what do you other unhappy sods (joke!) most look forward to when you leave here, that will contrast with life as it was in New Zealand?? Me, first on the list is having a REAL or INTELLIGENT conversation with someone (not sure I even remember how to)!! And just joking and teasing around with people and not being offered a blank or dour stare in return. What the heck is life worth without really great conversation and lots of laughs!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
The 'fact' is that the NZ Government gives the least amount - you know, that caring, sharing Government we just got rid of
On the limited tax take from a low population I don't think any NZ Government has too much to play with where charitable donations are concerned.
This is a country where NZ$1m being left out in some departmental accounts (can't remember details) makes National news....in other western democracies it would be a non-story.
They also run stories about 'training courses' for employees by Government depts and if they've dared stay in more than a tent in the middle of some field, they come in for criticism.....this is a pennypinching mentality borne of necessity probably.

Looking forward to a 'caring, sharing John Key' soon...never had foreign currency traders and investment bankers on my 'most likely' list for altruism.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:18 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Great thread guys, it is always good to see both sides and lets hope they let it stay here as it is needed!!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Avid,

Nice to see you still visit the forum........

I look in now and again but keep my head down under another name these days it used to be NiseysOH.

Where are you off to next year, please, not that supposed Nirvana where the roads are paved in gold that some call, OZ?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:39 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theduke
Great thread guys, it is always good to see both sides and lets hope they let it stay here as it is needed!!
good to see the "thread crash team" managed a revival, lets hope that certain party poopers keep at arms length and allow us to whinge in peace...... and that none of us get too carried away......
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just coincidence that you're all in the North Island - well all those that specify? I really am convinced that NZ is two different countries and I'm glad I chose the SI after listening to you guys and reading lots of previous threads. Good luck in getting where you want to be all those that don't like it here.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NLSE
If you’re leaving NZ in January, why don’t you do us all a favour and p*ss off posting on this forum. You are one of the prime examples of why I stopped posting on this forum.
I think your remark makes you look like the 'prime example' of why people stop posting on the forum. There is/was no need for that comment. Also, you obviously haven't stopped posting on the forum seeing as this isn't your first post as a different user
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by theduke
It is always good to see both sides but there are the select few who will spoil it for all

I don't dislike/hate/despise/loathe those who have found their place here in NZ, I envy them. I wish I could love this place as much as some seem to, but it's not for me - I've tried to, but if truth be told it's all lies.

No keeping up with the Jones' - balls... it's just as bad as the UK!
NZ being a family place - balls... I've seen more parents pushing their kids into competing here than ever before in my life!

I could go on but I'm not explaining myself on a forum.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:38 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh. My. God.

This has been going on for 13 and a half hours now -

STOP IT

This is the unhappy thread - if you like it in NZ post in the Happy thread. It's not complicated.

The unhappy peeps haven't hijacked that one. Grrrrrrrrr ....

Last edited by Am Loolah; Nov 13th 2008 at 7:40 am.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:41 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
Sorry
For berloody once - it's not you ...

Well ok, slightly - you and your smilies ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.