Reload this Page >

Minimun salary re.accredited employers to be $55K pa

Minimun salary re.accredited employers to be $55K pa

Old May 18th 2008, 9:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Minimun salary re.accredited employers to be $55K pa

Per NZIS News Friday, 9 May 2008

Change to minimum salary allowed for applicants under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy

As from 28 July 2008, the minimum allowable salary for applicants under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy will be NZ$55,000 per annum.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimun salary re.accredited employers to be $55K pa

I wonder if that will come back to bite them! As companies will no doubt object!!!
Old May 19th 2008, 2:16 am
`

FAQs from the NZIS site.

FAQs about changes to the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy
Friday, May 09, 2008
Frequently asked questions about this change to policy which comes into effect on and after 28 July 2008.
What change is being made to the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy?

The annual salary requirement under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy will increase from NZ$50,000 to NZ$55,000.

When does the change come into effect?

This change will come into effect on and after 28 July 2008. All applications for a work visa or permit under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy made with Immigration New Zealand (INZ) on and after 28 July 2008 will require a base salary of at least NZ$55,000 per annum included in the applicant’s offer of employment.

Why is this change being made?

The salary requirement under this policy was established at NZ$45,000 in 2001 as this was the average salary for “professionals” then. The average salary for “professionals” is now approximately NZ$55,000. The salary requirement was increased to NZ$50,000 in July 2007. To align with the average salary for “professionals” the salary requirement is being increased again, to $55,000.

I already hold a Talent (Accredited Employer) work visa and/or permit. Does this change affect me?

This change will not affect your work visa and/or permit because your application for your visa and/or permit would have been made prior to 28 July 2008. Any subsequent application for residence under the Residence policy for holders of work permits granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy will require you to have been in your employment for at least two years at a salary of at least:

* NZ$45,000 if your initial application for your work visa or permit was made before 30 July 2007
* NZ$50,000 if your initial application for your work visa or permit was made on and after 30 July 2007 but before 28 July 2008.

I have made an application for a work visa and/or permit under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy, but it has not yet been decided by INZ. Will this change affect me?

No, the change in policy will not affect your application provided it was made with INZ before 28 July 2008.

Have changes been made to any of the other Work to Residence work policies?

No, no changes have been made to the Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) Work Policy or the Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Policy.

Has the associated Residence from Work policy changed as well?

Yes, the Residence policy for holders of work permits granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy has been amended to require applicants to have employment in New Zealand with a base salary of at least NZ$55,000 per annum if the associated Work to Residence permit or visa application was made on or after 28 July 2008.

To have a subsequent application for residence under the Residence policy for holders of work permits granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy approved, applicants who made their application for a Work to Residence permit or visa:

* on or after 30 July 2007 but before 28 July 2008, will be required to be employed at a base salary of at least NZ$50,000 per annum
* before 30 July 2007, will be required to be employed at a base salary of at least NZ$45,000 per annum.

As an Accredited Employer how does this policy change affect us?

The change in policy does not affect your actual accreditation with INZ. However, from 28 July 2008 all prospective employees who make an application with INZ under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy will be required to hold an offer of employment which includes a salary of at least NZ$55,000 per annum to be eligible for a work visa and/or permit under this policy.

Where can I go for further information?

For further information, you can refer to the Amendment Circular 2008-06 PDF [41KB]. The relevant policy provisions are WR1.5, WR1.10, WR1.30 and RW2.
Old May 19th 2008, 2:18 am
`

My thoughts are with the truckers hoping for a WTR or WFR with or through an accredited employer.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought this is a good change:
a - it makes it harder for employers to underpay migrants
b - it may mean fewer disillusioned migrants who come over here and then realise that $45k is not enough to enjoy a decent lifestyle. I certainly wouldn't relocate half way round the world to work for $45k unless I had enough capital/other income to treat work as a hobby
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:28 am
`

This only applies to WTR through an accredited employer. It does not apply to any other Residency route.

It will not stop NZ employers offering migrants less pay than their NZ counterparts.

For many , $45/$55K is about what they can expect to earn. $55K would be considered a good rate of pay for a tradesmen for instance. Most would start on far less & many tradesmen , both Kiwis and migrants earn much less than the $55K.
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Bevs there, didn't think that WTR was only for "professionals" as the NZIS site indicates. Most families would be looking to have two earners in the medium term anyway so then $45k is not that bad.