Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The minefield known as the 2nd hand car market?

The minefield known as the 2nd hand car market?

Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all
Default The minefield known as the 2nd hand car market?

Hello, good evening, and welcome.

What's the best option in the second hand car market for shoppers like moi?

Buy in the big city when we arrive or buy local in the city we are heading to?

We arrive in Auckland, I've noticed there's just one or two car dealers kicking around this area, am I more likely to get a bargain due to competition, or am I more likely to get ripped due to the "in Auckland everyone is loaded" factor!?

Or, do we head to down Hamilton where prices might be cheaper and I'll probably get one or two cows, a few pigs and maybe the odd goat thrown in with the deal?

Cheers!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:06 am
Just Joined

mini stinky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The minefield known as the 2nd hand car market?

Trademe is a good bet, also the car markets in Auckland on weekends. I'd advise avoiding the car dealerships, especially along Great South Rd or Green Lane areas unless you want to pay twice as much as you need to for a car that's about to fall apart!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton is awash with car yards too ... where ever you buy from make sure you bargain hard!(start very low! and be willing to walk away.) It is a buyers market and there are plenty of other cars to buy!

Last edited by Robbie2010; Sep 5th 2010 at 2:02 am.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure exactly why you think you would get a cow,pig and goat in hamilton ??
Do you really think auckland is so much more sophisticated.

Anyway take a drive down great south routh heading out of auckland, the place is crawling with car yards.
only buy what your happy with and you'll be ok. Prices are the same wherever you go.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colandros
Not sure exactly why you think you would get a cow,pig and goat in hamilton ??
Do you really think auckland is so much more sophisticated.
Erm, because it was a joke, we all know what the perception of Hamilton used to be in the "70's & "80's = Cowtown! Me thinks you may need a week back in Blighty for a sense of humour top up!

Anyway, appreciate the advice folks. I've already picked out 3 cars on Trademe, I'll just have to keep a close eye on them and see what they bring.

My thoughts were that if they don't sell at end of auction then I'll steam in and offer them well below their asking price (oh, and a bag of witticism with a suitcase packed full of esprit d'escalier, just in case they can't find theirs!)
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Prices are the same wherever you go.
On a more serious note (yep, I can do serious if the need arises) are there many car dealers in Cambridge?

That's where we are staying (well, for first few months till our ship pulls in), as I'd rather buy local just in case owt goes wrong with it, I know who to go back to and throttle!!

Cheers!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Moses65 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will be better off hitting Hams as theres heaps there as opposed to Cambridge. Alternatively Rotorua is not to far and again loads of choice.
We have bought from Rotorua dealer and trademe n both were well cheap cars and both have been awesome.
Im the hoon mother in Taupo in the wide bore exhaust Subie lol
Good luck

Last edited by Moses65; Sep 5th 2010 at 7:22 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by mini stinky
Trademe is a good bet, also the car markets in Auckland on weekends. I'd advise avoiding the car dealerships, especially along Great South Rd or Green Lane areas unless you want to pay twice as much as you need to for a car that's about to fall apart!
Ouff I have this all to come, ive been looking at cars on trademe (Welly) im looking for something that starts and the bottom wont fall out for a reasonable price, to be honest all the cars look like over priced sheds but i spose its one of those things that i can't sort til i get over there.
However this is just a run around til i can save some money an get me a low ridaaa, brumm brumm!

BAD ASS!!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses65
Im the hoon mother in Taupo in the wide bore exhaust Subie lol
Good luck
Aye, well if you lash past someone in a Robin Reliant on the Cambridge road one morning on the way into Hamilton spare a thought for old TN, it's all I could afford!

Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
, to be honest all the cars look like over priced sheds

Nah, ya on the wrong section, you must be looking at Real Estate there!!?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
Hello, good evening, and welcome.

What's the best option in the second hand car market for shoppers like moi?

Buy in the big city when we arrive or buy local in the city we are heading to?

We arrive in Auckland, I've noticed there's just one or two car dealers kicking around this area, am I more likely to get a bargain due to competition, or am I more likely to get ripped due to the "in Auckland everyone is loaded" factor!?

Or, do we head to down Hamilton where prices might be cheaper and I'll probably get one or two cows, a few pigs and maybe the odd goat thrown in with the deal?

Cheers!
hi when we went in 07, we got a 4x4 toyota surf 1996 at ezybuy car auctions , it was on for $10,500 could not sell so they reduced price we paid $8,400 inc all paper work they charge about $400 for paper work
got insurence from the bank then that was it untill we came back had car for eight months sold it fo $7000 could have got more but that paid for container

web site is ezybuy.co.nz
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Cambridge has 2 used car dealers. one is fairview motors (ford main dealer and charges main dealer prices, meaning actual price +5k)
dont know what the other is called but not much choice and better prices elsewhere.
If your coming to hams anyway get along to auto auctioneers on Te rapa. its an auction house
but all cars have a fixed price aswell. generally they are not prepped or valeted and you need to get an AA report
which can all be done in a day and you'll save thousands. You can go along to view/buy at any time
All car dealers here crack on like they are your new best mate, ignore everything they tell you and dont give
them any contact details as they will hound you like the pack off dogs they are. Almost as bad as real estate agents

Where are you staying in cambridge ?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses65
Alternatively Rotorua is not to far and again loads of choice.
Good luck
Your joking man!! rotorua is miles away. to far to travel for a shed of a car
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by concretepump
web site is ezybuy.co.nz
What do you think they would knock off this if you walked in off the street, cash in hand and no part ex?

http://ezybuy.co.nz/show/detail/15223

The other one I've got my good eye on is this;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=313786787

........and I've got my bad eye glued on this little baby;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-309103716.htm

...........it's got low milage!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Where are you staying in cambridge ?

Erm............................, I'm not sure to be honest?!

It's about the only fully furnished place south of Singapore we could find within our budget till our gear arrives!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.