Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is milk more expensive here?

Is milk more expensive here?

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:34 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is milk more expensive here?

NZ: Home brand milk standard 2l: NZ $3.60 (NZ$1.80/L) @ 15% GST.

UK: Tesco Skimmed Milk 4 Pints (2.27L): £1.49 = NZ$2.80 (NZ$1.23/L) @ 20% VAT

Ireland: Londis 2L: €1.39 = NZ$2.30 (NZ$1.15/L) @ 21% VAT

U.S.: Cosco 1gal: U.S.$2.68 = NZ$2.36 (NZ$0.62/L) @ god knows the tax rate.

In summary yes it is odd .
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is milk more expensive here?

My next door neighbour today remarked that milk is more expensive than petrol in NZ. I won't buy milk from our local dairy because it's $2 more expensive than the supermarket. (Not buying milk from the dairy - is there a joke there somewhere ?)
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:53 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

People like to blame the dairy companies but IRRC there are many and unless they are colluding to price fix the market?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody at Fonterra wants shooting it,s a good old fashioned monopoly there products are cheaper in Aussie !!!! international prices my arse

Neil
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

But I've read there are over 20 producers in New Zealand of milk, Fonterra doesn't really have a monopoly IMO but the price of milk is very high here . I'd love to know why myself? Is it that such value is added to milk products exported that it distorts prices in the local market? Does New Zealand milk sell at a premium overseas? It's just strange.

It would be good to see the prices farmers get between countries and see if it was also selling at a premium.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
But I've read there are over 20 producers in New Zealand of milk, Fonterra doesn't really have a monopoly IMO but the price of milk is very high here . I'd love to know why myself? Is it that such value is added to milk products exported that it distorts prices in the local market? Does New Zealand milk sell at a premium overseas? It's just strange.

It would be good to see the prices farmers get between countries and see if it was also selling at a premium.
It's worth more as powder sold overseas, and since money makes the world go around (or indeed bring it to grinding halt.....)
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, milk is ridiculously expensive here in comparison, though note the UK has 0% VAT on food, so to convert to NZ equivalent you'd need to * by 1.15GST.

The reason is that Fonterra is a virtual monopoly, and then there's just two supermarket chains.
Fonterra are just ripping of the NZ consumer, they were saying they priced it at the International Market Price. Yet the Milk price here as not gone down since February, but supposedly the International is significantly down since then, and the NZ$ up, so to reflect that we ought to be seeing a 20% drop.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

I've noticed its a bit more expensive, but not hugely. I was more shocked by the price of tomatoes and cucumbers (I now realised its a seasonal thing )
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:20 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Is milk more expensive here?

Originally Posted by rick78 View Post
I've noticed its a bit more expensive, but not hugely. I was more shocked by the price of tomatoes and cucumbers (I now realised its a seasonal thing )
Yeah the cucumbers come from Palestine (no doubt they use the funds to buy rockets to launch at Israel). On season they are about a dollar.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:27 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Dustybin View Post
It's worth more as powder sold overseas, and since money makes the world go around (or indeed bring it to grinding halt.....)
I see, fair enough then. This one time we'll stop being whinging poms and accept that is the case.

Next week: Petrol, do they charge too much or are consumers just too lazy to buy a few efficient car?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

In ASDA: 2.272 Litres: £1.25 = $2.34 ($1.03/L)

There is also currently (and has been for months) a deal where you can get 2*2.272 litres for £2, so

4.544 litres: £2 = $3.76 = 82.7 cents per litre.

As mentioned there is no VAT on mile but most people are only interested in what they actually pay.

Petrol is another matter: £1.369 at local garage for diesel (£1.339 for petrol) but I get 55mpg on average.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

I blame John Campbell for not shutting up about it. What a tool he is.

Fonterra are NZ's only true Multi National and account for 25% of all exported products they are a co operative owned by Kiwi farmers. Where does the profits and wealth go?

This is my opinion only but do you think they make any money out of NZ domestic market or from the worldwide market that they send their milk powder to?

I reckon this report will show its the Supermarkets Duopoly that is the issue here. Tesco/Asda dont make profits on milk really im lead to believe

Last edited by rason; Aug 10th 2011 at 3:54 am.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:20 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

"Tesco/Asda dont make profits on milk really im lead to believe"

I think thats true, many supermarket chains in the UK sell milk as a loss leader.

If you want to understand the true cost of food in the UK, you need to compare a wider range of foods.

Although many prices are lower in the UK, many are NOT.

For example Cheese is 40% more expensive in the UK, ordinary canned beer 20% more expensive, Flour is 15% more expensive, most fresh meat is 15-20% more expensive and tea is a whoping 75% more expensive.

The trouble is, the longer we have been out of the UK, the more out of date we get with what things actually cost over there