Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Migration Expos - to go or not to go??

Migration Expos - to go or not to go??

Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:34 am
Just Joined

PennyBaker is on a distinguished road
Default Migration Expos - to go or not to go??

Ive been told about the Opportunities NZ - and this will be the first time Im attending and for some reason I am nervous!

Has anyone been before??
What do I take?
Are they worth it??

Any help would be apprecaited!

Penny
Old Jul 11th 2005, 6:48 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migration Expos - to go or not to go??

Originally Posted by PennyBaker
Ive been told about the Opportunities NZ - and this will be the first time Im attending and for some reason I am nervous!

Has anyone been before??
What do I take?
Are they worth it??

Penny
I haven't been but my wife has and I would say well worth it.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone been before??
What do I take?
Are they worth it??

Penny
I think it depends on how far along the process you are. If you want advice from NZIS you can attend the seminars which are held in small groups, where you can get any questions answered. When we went we were well into having already submitted EOI and found it to be a bit of a waste. It can be useful to take a handful of your CVs to hand out to the Employment Agencies. Other than that, its quite nice just be able to go somewhere and pick up a load of bumph and brochures on anything from Banks, shipping and real estate. We had bagfuls of reading stuff to while away a good few hours.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:25 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think it depends on how far along the process you are. If you want advice from NZIS you can attend the seminars which are held in small groups, where you can get any questions answered. When we went we were well into having already submitted EOI and found it to be a bit of a waste. It can be useful to take a handful of your CVs to hand out to the Employment Agencies. Other than that, its quite nice just be able to go somewhere and pick up a load of bumph and brochures on anything from Banks, shipping and real estate. We had bagfuls of reading stuff to while away a good few hours.
You took the words right out of my mouth Bo-jangles (love the username btw). We're a long way away from submitting EOI but we find these expos really useful and the bumph you pick up is really worthwhile. We went to a general emigration exhibition in Surrey last year and found out some useful stuff from employment agencies, and our minds were put at rest by the pet carriers, somehow emails and phone calls aren't quite the same as talking face to face. Oh yeah and definitely take your CV. Some newbie karma for you Bo.

Phyl
Old Jul 11th 2005, 12:17 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Has anyone been before??
What do I take?
Are they worth it??

Penny
Hi Penny,

Do you (or anyone else on the forum) know where abouts and when are these expos in the near future? If there are any in the Midlands area then we might pop along.

Cheers, Dave
Old Jul 11th 2005, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Munchkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
Hi Penny,

Do you (or anyone else on the forum) know where abouts and when are these expos in the near future? If there are any in the Midlands area then we might pop along.

Cheers, Dave
I went to one that was held in Nottingham a couple of months ago and would advise folks avoid that type of 'expo'.

It turned out to be being held by an agency.

An american and a New Zealander took it in turns to extoll the virtues of emigrating to Canada, Australia and NZ. They built up a picture of how wonderful these places were and played on the fears of the audience about illegal immigrants, the cr@p weather etc in the UK (this is when I just felt lucky I hadn't had to pay to attend and just sat it out).

After building up folk's expectations of a better life elsewhere they proceeded to make it sound near-impossible to get into these countries...unless you contracted the company they represented to help you through the process (at a cost of approx £1800).

It was a complete waste of time even taking your CV along.

I've heard good things about the expo in London though and am planning to go along myself.

As far as I know they only hold them in London and Manchester.

Munchin
Old Jul 11th 2005, 2:44 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Penny,

Cheers, Dave
Hi Dave

Have a look here - there's one in Manchester in October - I think we'll be going along for a butcher's!!!

http://www.smallworldmedia.co.nz/exp...16af2cdabd8303

Might see you there...
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

PennyBaker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips guys!
I think Im going to go to the London Australia and NZ Expos just because Im close to earls court anyway and I think I need to deceide for myself!
Cant hurt to try!
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:32 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips guys!
I think Im going to go to the London Australia and NZ Expos just because Im close to earls court anyway and I think I need to deceide for myself!
Cant hurt to try!
Penny, would you be a sweetie and report back on the London NZ Expo for us - we are hoping to go to the Manchester one and it would be great to get some feedback before hand..

thanks v much...
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:36 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi Dave

Have a look here - there's one in Manchester in October - I think we'll be going along for a butcher's!!!

http://www.smallworldmedia.co.nz/exp...16af2cdabd8303

Might see you there...
Thanks for the link - we might well see you there! Just depends what comes around in the corner in the meantime!

You can have some Karma on credit apparently we have to spread it around (which we have been doing so not sure how much we have to spread!!)

Catch you later!

Dave and Lyns
Old Jul 11th 2005, 10:03 pm
Don't let me get me....

Thanks for the link - we might well see you there! Just depends what comes around in the corner in the meantime!

You can have some Karma on credit apparently we have to spread it around (which we have been doing so not sure how much we have to spread!!)

Catch you later!

Dave and Lyns
OOOh, how very mysterious!! What do you anticipate might be lurking round the corner then...

You have to spread lots before you can come back to me again - 25 hits I think it is - but not to worry - it's the thought that counts