Reload this Page >

Migration costs for New Zealand

Migration costs for New Zealand

Old May 6th 2002, 1:06 pm
DLS
Just Joined

DLS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migration costs for New Zealand

We are new to the forum and are considering going to NZ.

We have just had an assessment back from a migration consultant who quoted costs of over £2,500 for a 'General Skills Category' application. This seems expensive, can anyone suggests an alternative or is this the going rate?
Old May 6th 2002, 5:00 pm
Phil

Default Re: Migration costs for New Zealand

Do it yourself. It is reasonably simple and alot cheaper. Everything you need to know
is at www.immigration.govt.nz you cant go wrong as long as you can read. )

Emily

"DLS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > We are new to the forum and are considering going to NZ.
    >
    > We have just had an assessment back from a migration consultant who quoted costs of
    > over £2,500 for a 'General Skills Category' application. This seems expensive, can
    > anyone suggests an alternative or is this the going rate?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 6th 2002, 6:31 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Phil, we paid for an agent but would not in hindsight recommend this route to other straightforward cases. We paid GBP1600 or thereabouts. DIY.
Old May 6th 2002, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

Do it yourself. They (consultants) know the process but don't have any influence. The process is well documented on the NZ immigration website. Just be methodical, produce a project plan (if you're that way inclined) and organise your documents in a logical order in a folder ready to present to the nice people at immigration.
Old May 6th 2002, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

That just reminded me....

I produced an MS project gantt chart which I've just found on my PC...

Remarkable how well it worked. It had everything in a nice logical order with all of the dependancies, timescales etc.

It made my life much easier during what is a complex, time consuming and frustrating period.
Old May 6th 2002, 11:30 pm
Brian Andersen

Hi

I have worked in an immigration field for a New Zealand government department for
over 12 years. Well over 80% of applications don't need an immigration consultant, as
most necessary information can be found on the New Zealand Immigration Services web
site www.immigration.govt.nz. Immigration consultants can provide some added value
services and hand holding, but with NZIS and NZQA charges totalling about UK pounds
500 you are paying dearly for this service.

Many agents play on your fears that if you get the smallest detail wrong your
application will be rejected. This is not the case. NZIS is charged with meeting
immigration targets, not rejecting people.

The following is an extract from a speech from the Minister of Immigration, Lianne
Dalziel. You will see that immigration agents, as a group, are no more successful
than individuals.

"Something which I wish to release publicly today, is the report that has been
undertaken on immigration consultants. The report produces some very interesting
information about the size of the industry, the types of migrants who utilise the
industry and the success or otherwise of applications associated with the industry.

The research was initiated this year, and was designed to scope the size of the
immigration consulting industry, investigate the characteristics of consultants & the
migrants who use them, and to provide some information on the extent and nature of
any problems associated with the use of consultants. The research improves our
understanding of the dynamics of the NZ immigration consulting industry.

A data set of 227,235 people applying for temporary entry or permanent residence. 27%
of migrants used agents for residence applications, although this proportion varied
substantially between residence categories. Those applying under the business
categories had the highest proportionate use of agents, at 63% of all applications.
33% of General Skills applicants, and 48% of Humanitarian category applicants used an
agent. Approximately 10% of all applications for temporary entry made use of an agent
(8% work, 9% visitors & 15% student).

? There was no consistent pattern of agent use dependant on whether lodged on or
off-shore. ? Applicants from Asia were more likely to use agents across all
immigration categories, compared with applicants from Europe/the Americas. ?
Principal applicants who were male were more likely to use agents than females ?
There was no systematic association across all immigration categories between whether
an applicant used an agent and whether those applications were successful."

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Brian Andersen

"DLS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > We are new to the forum and are considering going to NZ.
    >
    > We have just had an assessment back from a migration consultant who quoted costs of
    > over £2,500 for a 'General Skills Category' application. This seems expensive, can
    > anyone suggests an alternative or is this the going rate?
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old May 7th 2002, 12:00 pm
Migrationenquir

d'ya fancy ripping out the personal information and posting it or an excel version??

ta

"lmaynard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > That just reminded me....
    >
    > I produced an MS project gantt chart which I've just found on my PC...
    >
    > Remarkable how well it worked. It had everything in a nice logical order with all
    > of the dependancies, timescales etc.
    >
    > It made my life much easier during what is a complex, time consuming and
    > frustrating period.
    >
    >
    >
    > --