Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Might sound like a strange question but..

Might sound like a strange question but..

Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:05 pm
Naked and lightly greased

Dappadee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Might sound like a strange question but..

is there much of a problem with religious fruit loops in NZ? It one thing I have never got round to asking my Kiwi mate about. I doubt it is as bad as the states but is it worse than the UK for example?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:06 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Might sound like a strange question but..

There is a problem with "honey nut loops" ....you cant get em
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
There is a problem with "honey nut loops" ....you cant get em
Well that's alright because I don't like em, I'm more of a porridge man myself.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

England Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a large Brethren community across New Zealand but while I lived in NZ I never heard of them being what you might call a problem. They tend to keep themselves to themselves and not force their opinions on others.
There was a big Brethren community where I lived but they made no secret of the fact but neither published it either.
You could tell which houses were Brethren though cos their kids were playing outside while everyone else was watching telly or playing computer games

Then you have the Destiny Church, which has also got a political party called Destiny NZ. Again, I've not had any personal dealings with them but they are more showy, evangelical and like to make their opinions known, particularly about civil unions and such like.
Their march at parliament was a bit OTT in my opinion and they have got a bit of a rep for being a bit like a cult :scared:
But again, no personal dealings so all hearsay or media hype.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by England Girl
There is a large Brethren community across New Zealand but while I lived in NZ I never heard of them being what you might call a problem. They tend to keep themselves to themselves and not force their opinions on others.
There was a big Brethren community where I lived but they made no secret of the fact but neither published it either.
You could tell which houses were Brethren though cos their kids were playing outside while everyone else was watching telly or playing computer games

Then you have the Destiny Church, which has also got a political party called Destiny NZ. Again, I've not had any personal dealings with them but they are more showy, evangelical and like to make their opinions known, particularly about civil unions and such like.
Their march at parliament was a bit OTT in my opinion and they have got a bit of a rep for being a bit like a cult :scared:
But again, no personal dealings so all hearsay or media hype.
Thanks for that.

I seem to remember hearing recently about some religious group trying to push creationism into NZ schools that's the reason I asked by the way.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dappadee
Thanks for that.

I seem to remember hearing recently about some religious group trying to push creationism into NZ schools that's the reason I asked by the way.
Was probably Destiny. They have a programme that they believe can turn gay people straight.
You should go on their website www.destinychurch.org.nz and read some of the other stuff they're into.
The leader, a self-styled bishop, was given a harley as thanks for attending a conference in Samoa I think it was. These people don't earn much as it is but they're funding his lavish lifestyle.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:58 pm

Was probably Destiny. They have a programme that they believe can turn gay people straight.
You should go on their website www.destinychurch.org.nz and read some of the other stuff they're into.
The leader, a self-styled bishop, was given a harley as thanks for attending a conference in Samoa I think it was. These people don't earn much as it is but they're funding his lavish lifestyle.
Wow. Scary. Thanks for that now I will have nightmares forever.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

have you read the front page of the NZ Herald, its well scary, this whole right wing conspiracy with a religous group called the Brethren, hey backed bush in the US elections because of his right wing policies, they also backed te PM of Oz, and are now backing the National party, and doing shifty secret meetings with the heads of parties, it says Helen clark is the only leader of a party who has not met with the group.

dr Bash who is the national leader (i think) said he met with the group for prayer, which kinda scares me, :scared:

Its worrying what the world is turning into, should we be more scared of home grown fundamentalists than islamic ones, are islamic fundamentalists the new scapegoats like the jews were in Nazi germany,

i hope NZ doesnt go the way of America, Bush and his religous right scares the pants off me, dunno what they are going to do next, lets hope some good comes out of disaster in the southern staes of the US and they vote out the republicans in the next election
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dr Don Brash is nothing to worry about. I met him when I was in NZ and he has a wimpy handshake. Helen Clark on the other hand, woah, almost broke my hand!

Don Brash would meet anyone for a prayer if he thought he would get their vote, that man is desperate to become PM in his second term of parliament (let's not forget he was newly elected in 2002).

As the herald says there are only 2000 Brethren in NZ, out of a population of 4 million (unsure of voting population) that's a very small minority.

I can't see NZ ever going the way of the US simply because the ordinary member of the public, be they Maori, Pakeha, Pacific Islander, Muslim whatever, will outnumber those that want to make politics religious.

If you should worry about anyone it's Destiny, not the Brethren. And then they're highly unlikely to poll 5%.

And let's not forget Dick Hubbard, mayor of Auckland City is religious too. i don't think that's played too big a part in his mayoralty since he was elected in October.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Dr Don Brash is nothing to worry about. I met him when I was in NZ and he has a wimpy handshake. Helen Clark on the other hand, woah, almost broke my hand!

Don Brash would meet anyone for a prayer if he thought he would get their vote, that man is desperate to become PM in his second term of parliament (let's not forget he was newly elected in 2002).

As the herald says there are only 2000 Brethren in NZ, out of a population of 4 million (unsure of voting population) that's a very small minority.

I can't see NZ ever going the way of the US simply because the ordinary member of the public, be they Maori, Pakeha, Pacific Islander, Muslim whatever, will outnumber those that want to make politics religious.

If you should worry about anyone it's Destiny, not the Brethren. And then they're highly unlikely to poll 5%.

And let's not forget Dick Hubbard, mayor of Auckland City is religious too. i don't think that's played too big a part in his mayoralty since he was elected in October.

thats kinda made me feel better, but there does seem to be an upsurge of religous groups, and i kinda fell they should stay out of politics, I know the brethren are a small minority but its influance thats important, if they are meeting with political leaders, who knows what they might be upto,
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sugo
thats kinda made me feel better, but there does seem to be an upsurge of religous groups, and i kinda fell they should stay out of politics, I know the brethren are a small minority but its influance thats important, if they are meeting with political leaders, who knows what they might be upto,
Trying to execute homosexuals and ban evolution no doubt.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

thats one of the things the religous group that pres bush believes in, scarey eh, hown can anyone in this modern age not believe in evolution, :scared:
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

only if the programme doesn't work and homosexuals remain just that

And evolution, that doesn't exist

BTW I forgot there was another church in Auckland, forget the name but it's popular with the likes of muscians such as Brooke Fraser, Zed and the guy from Steriogram. All happy clappy let's all have a sing song.
Plus Parachutes is a huge Christian music festival held near Hamilton. Daniel Bedingfield visited last year.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:53 pm

only if the programme doesn't work and homosexuals remain just that

And evolution, that doesn't exist

BTW I forgot there was another church in Auckland, forget the name but it's popular with the likes of muscians such as Brooke Fraser, Zed and the guy from Steriogram. All happy clappy let's all have a sing song.
Plus Parachutes is a huge Christian music festival held near Hamilton. Daniel Bedingfield visited last year.
Daniel who?