Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Might Pippalonghorn be eligible for NZ family tax credits?

Might Pippalonghorn be eligible for NZ family tax credits?

Old Sep 9th 2013, 7:09 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Might Pippalonghorn be eligible for NZ family tax credits?

I did look into the tax credits system for myself and I'm almost sure that you have to have permanent residency to get it. We have a residency visa but not a permanent one so couldn't claim anything.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COST OF LIVING PAPAKURA, LARGE FAMILY

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I did look into the tax credits system for myself and I'm almost sure that you have to have permanent residency to get it. We have a residency visa but not a permanent one so couldn't claim anything.
You have to be resident in order to receive tax credits - that's it!
Assuming you are eligible, it doesn't matter if this is Residency or Permanent Residency.
No-one with a temporary visa can claim.

I'd advise you to look again as I'm sure you're jibbing yourself out of some $'s.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 1:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you have a residency visa then you should be entitled to tax credits. It doesn't matter if the 2 year travel restriction is still running or not. That is purely about the ability to enter and leave NZ . It is still residency.

You did say you felt your husband was somehow 'tied' to his employer. This indicates that you may be on a 'Work to Residency' visa. Maybe through an 'accredited' employer. This is a form of temporary work visa .

I think we do need to clarify which visa you are on Pippa. Go to your/his passport and look to the top of the blue sticker in there. What does it state?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:05 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
If you have a residency visa then you should be entitled to tax credits. It doesn't matter if the 2 year travel restriction is still running or not. That is purely about the ability to enter and leave NZ . It is still residency.

You did say you felt your husband was somehow 'tied' to his employer. This indicates that you may be on a 'Work to Residency' visa. Maybe through an 'accredited' employer. This is a form of temporary work visa .

I think we do need to clarify which visa you are on Pippa. Go to your/his passport and look to the top of the blue sticker in there. What does it state?
It says resident visa. Visa expiry : indefinite. We have travel conditions for 24 months. So does that mean we can claim something for our child? The website stated permenent residency. I'm confused now.

My husband got offered the job 1 year before we came here. He signed a 2 year contract with them to build a new prison. Having that contract enabled us to have enough points to be chosen from the EOI pool. He is also going through his registration which takes 18 weeks to complete.

Last edited by pippalonghorn; Sep 10th 2013 at 3:27 am.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you'd be eligible then pippa, best to give them a call to be sure

If your oh is working more than 30 hours a week you're eligible for both the Family Tax Credit and the In Work Tax Credit here

http://www.workingforfamilies.govt.n...l#familyincome

You should also be able to backdate your claim to include the last tax year April 2012-March 2013.

You would possibly also be eligible for Accommodation Supplement

http://www.workingforfamilies.govt.n...on-supplement/
Old Sep 10th 2013, 7:02 am
`

It says resident visa. Visa expiry : indefinite. We have travel conditions for 24 months. So does that mean we can claim something for our child? The website stated permanent residency.
Yes. From what you write , you are NZ residents. The 24 month thing is just a restriction on travel conditions. That is all.
Note: Also nothing to do with your husband's employment.

I'm confused now.
S'ok . These years I spend my life confused. Who am I?

My husband got offered the job 1 year before we came here. He signed a 2 year contract with them to build a new prison. Having that contract enabled us to have enough points to be chosen from the EOI pool. He is also going through his registration which takes 18 weeks to complete.
To make sure. You did this?
You went into the EOI pool.
Got drawn.
Submitted an ITA
Selected and were given residency stickers in your passports from what you write.

The EWRB registration thing is necessary but wouldn't have stopped you from gaining NZ residency as a sparky. He just needed to shw he was eligible for residency.

Also - if you are NZ residents he can apply for any sparky work anywhere in NZ. Nothing to stop him is there & that is regardless of EWRB registration.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:55 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Yes. From what you write , you are NZ residents. The 24 month thing is just a restriction on travel conditions. That is all.
Note: Also nothing to do with your husband's employment.

S'ok . These years I spend my life confused. Who am I?

To make sure. You did this?
You went into the EOI pool.
Got drawn.
Submitted an ITA
Selected and were given residency stickers in your passports from what you write.

The EWRB registration thing is necessary but wouldn't have stopped you from gaining NZ residency as a sparky. He just needed to shw he was eligible for residency.

Also - if you are NZ residents he can apply for any sparky work anywhere in NZ. Nothing to stop him is there & that is regardless of EWRB registration.
We only gained enough points to go into the pool because he had a job offer. He has applied for a few other jobs but heard nothing. He thinks this is because he is not registered yet. Thanks for the info. I applied online last night for help.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 10:47 pm
`

Default Might Pippalonghorn be eligible for NZ family tax credits?

I've stuck this into a thread of it's own so we can all keep a track of it.

Do you mean you have applied for tax credits online PippaL ?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 10:51 pm
`

Default Re: Might Pippalonghorn be eligible for NZ family tax credits?

I have another question for you. Did you both pay UK PAYE from the month April 2013 until you left?

If so, you should investigate whether you are due small tax refunds.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:32 pm
Looking for my marbles.

I have another question for you. Did you both pay UK PAYE from the month April 2013 until you left?

If so, you should investigate whether you are due small tax refunds.
Yes we are due to a rebate. We figured that when we go home it will be the end of that tax year and so we will apply for the refund then.

Yes I applied on line last night. Sent copy of our visas in the post this morning.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are entitled to tax credits once you have been here more than 6 months on a residency visa, just make sure you either didn't take the offer of paying no tax for 4 years on any foreign investments etc. If you did you need to get that taken off before they will pay you any benefit, quite easy just a telephone call.

Also if you rent you can claim rental allowance which is available from day 1 if you qualify.

You may also be eligible for an income support type payment, but again depends on what you earn etc, also available from day 1.

Any problems, suggest you ring Work & Income and make an appointment with a case manager who can go through everything.