Midwives

Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Peeky is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Midwives

Are there any Uk trained midwives working in New Zealand reading this?

I am thinking about moving out there on a working holiday Visa. I am a bit anxious about the whole idea but my husband is very keen to go.

I recently went to an EXPO on jobs in New Zealand and was overwhelmed how much everyone appeared to be desperate to talk to me!

Midwifery is terribly badly staffed here in the Uk. Whats it really like in New Zealand?
I would love to move there and be able to give the care I am trained to give!

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 5th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwives

Yo peeky (cool name by the way!)

There is a shortage of midwives in NZ but the staffing levels are better than the UK…….strange but true!

Also there is not the factory mentality in NZ to get woman out ASAP from the ward environment, instead woman can stay a bit longer.
They also have slightly different rules out here, you may be advised to look at Section 88 as not all care is hospital based.

Salary I’m afraid is not overly good but better than most healthcare professionals, expect to earn $50-55000 PA excluding special duties and 3 weeks base AL per annum although unsocial hours does make the AL greater.

You would also need to get registered with the NZ equivalent of the UKCC (does that exist anymore??) which should be a painless exercise but like any QUANGO is prone to bureaucratic idiosyncrasies.

Good luck with your endeavors!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Midwives

Dear Nice Guy,

Thanks for your reply. The UKCC is now the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) but same thing really. Yep Ive got all the forms to apply for registration, bit of a long winded exercise but i'll get there. Not sure which hospital to apply to though, maybe I should apply to all and see what happens.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peeky
Dear Nice Guy,

Thanks for your reply. The UKCC is now the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) but same thing really. Yep Ive got all the forms to apply for registration, bit of a long winded exercise but i'll get there. Not sure which hospital to apply to though, maybe I should apply to all and see what happens.
Hi Peeky

I'm an RN and recently applied for registration in NZ (stuff sent 24/08/05). $211.00 reg fees. You will need a transcript of your course, I had to apply to Uni for this another £100 + VAT. When NMC received there part of the form, another form to fill in for scope of practice was sent and an invoice for £34.00 for their admin fees. You also need to send a current police check (they only accept the original)which costs £10.00 but takes up to 40 days to process. I would pay for 2, cos you need to send another original with your application for immigration. Hope this has helped.

Boopy
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Website may be of use............

Yo Peeky

Chaeck out www.jobpulse.co.nz it is a web site for recruitment to Waitamata District Health Board for midwives at the 3 principle sites of North Shore, Waitakere and Counties Manukau (Middlemore).

May be of help
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi Peeky

I'm an RN and recently applied for registration in NZ (stuff sent 24/08/05). $211.00 reg fees. You will need a transcript of your course, I had to apply to Uni for this another £100 + VAT. When NMC received there part of the form, another form to fill in for scope of practice was sent and an invoice for £34.00 for their admin fees. You also need to send a current police check (they only accept the original)which costs £10.00 but takes up to 40 days to process. I would pay for 2, cos you need to send another original with your application for immigration. Hope this has helped.

Boopy

If you are a MIDWIFE, then you need to apply to the NZ Midwifery Council, not Nursing Council, they are 2 separate registering bodies.

Cheers
G&R
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
If you are a MIDWIFE, then you need to apply to the NZ Midwifery Council, not Nursing Council, they are 2 separate registering bodies.

Cheers
G&R
Hi Gill,
I'm a RN, I should get my practice cert through hopefully by end of next week.
Boopy
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gill,
I'm a RN, I should get my practice cert through hopefully by end of next week.
Boopy

Good luck Boopy. For some reason its over $800 to apply for midwifery registration. Wish I had done my nurse training!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good luck Boopy. For some reason its over $800 to apply for midwifery registration. Wish I had done my nurse training!

Hi Peeky,

That's alot! Does registration last for 3 years like UK.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peeky,

That's alot! Does registration last for 3 years like UK.

No, thats per year for midwives.
Think all District Health Boards, once you are working for them refund the cost of your APC Annual Practising Certificate.

Cheers
Gill
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
No, thats per year for midwives.
Think all District Health Boards, once you are working for them refund the cost of your APC Annual Practising Certificate.

Cheers
Gill
Is it the same for RN's.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Is it the same for RN's.
Yes, however they will only refund it for the year you are working there, they don;t back date it. It's only $50 for nurses.

Cheers
Gill
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi Boopy
Did you have to send a copy of your professional profile as part of your registration application? If so did you photocopy the whole lot or just the certificates for study days?

Cheers
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Boopy
Did you have to send a copy of your professional profile as part of your registration application? If so did you photocopy the whole lot or just the certificates for study days?

Cheers
Hi Peeky,
No, I didn't send anything like that, just a CV and original Diploma cert. The Uni had to send a transcript of my course to NZNC, at a cost of £100 + vat. (rip off britain - again). Expecting to receive practice cert this week, then I can submit ITA to immigration.