Midwifery in NZ

Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Midwifery in NZ

Firstly Hi to all - this is my first post, and am new to the forum - have enjoyed browsing many of the posts though

I have just returned from a working holiday to NZ with the family where i managed to get some midwifery experience in a couple of the hospitals - loved it and as a result have several opportunities out there so looking to make the move - wahooo !!!!!

Am keen to hear any experiences/recommendations as to which hospitals/locations anyone out there may have had experience in and advice on how much post grad experience would be ideal.

We are looking at the North Island ideally as that it where we spent our time whilst recently visiting .....
Look forward to your replies

Loulou
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice
Default Re: Midwifery in NZ

Can't reply about Midwifery exactly but I've been dealing with the Director of Nursing and Midwifery of Southland Hospital (About as far away from the North Island as you can get!!) and she has been lovely. All helped by a job offer I might add. Management job not midwifery though. Good luck there are midwifery shortages all over NZ.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

If you are a general nurse with midwifery experience then I think you could get a job in lots of places and the thing to do would be to look at realestate sites and get an idea of where you want to live and then look at the NZ health vacancies and see if you can match up.

There are a lot of independent midwives working in NZ (they usually form a group or collective). They are not necessarily connected to hospitals, although naturally they refer on if necessary. I had two home births using midwives who took care of my entire care. I'm not sure how your qualification would match up though. My knowledge of the situation is quite a few years old so hopefully someone will be along shortly who has recent info.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:38 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

there's jobs going at christchurch women's hospital although not on the north island

i worked in a terrible hospital in the uk so working here is a breath of fresh air however all is not perfect in paradise and we are having problems with staff shortages which means we all work too hard but with that in mind i do still enjoy my job

good luck
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

louloumama - this article in the news today might interest you:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4721678a11.html