Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Midwifery in New Zealand

Midwifery in New Zealand

Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Bec2502 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwifery in New Zealand

Hello everyone, me and my OH are looking at emigrating to NZ when I qualify in Midwifery, could anyone give us an idea of the job situation over there for midwives? Especially newly qualified ones if possible!

Thanks, Bec
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwifery in New Zealand

Welcome to the forum. Have a look at the working abroad section,there is a sub-section on nursing and I am sure there will be some midwives on there. I know there has been a few threads recently here so they might help too.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508277
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505113
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505002

These might get you started.

Phyllis
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Phyllis!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

mallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant future

Hi Becs
I am a fairly NQ midwife and having made contact with a couple of hospitals and recruitment agencies I have discovered that there are indeed units in NZ which are more than willing to interview and offer jobs to NQ UK graduate midwives. decide where you would like to go and then contact the local hospitals maternity units and just ask!

Kind regards
mallard
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

iow_bird is on a distinguished road

Hi
I'm a Radiographer, so similar area. We're hoping to move to Auckland in August. I got a lot of information off the New Zealand registration body for X-Ray technicians, so maybe there is an similar site for midwifery. I'm registered with a medical recruitment agency called Global Health Source, not sure if they cover midwifery, if not google employment agencies and midwifery and e-mail them asking if they have any suitable jobs, even if you don't plan to use them you'll get loads of useful advice free, make sure you go with an agency that charge the employer, not you, for their services. Have you considered going on a working holiday visa and working as a locum? Make sure your qualification will be recognised out in NZ and if you need paperwork from your uni, make sure you have it all before you leave! I spent ages trying to get copies of some important bits of paper!
All my interviews have been on the phone, and most hospitals were willing to arrange a relocation package including flights, accomodation on arrival and moving costs. They are desperate for people in the healthcare sectro, I have a history of ill health, have worked 18 months since I qualified and was offer 3 jobs (long story)! all with relocation included in the job offer, so it definately worth asking about!

Sorry, that was really long, hope some of it was useful, found it all really confusing when we first started trying to emigrate!

Katie
x
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:22 am
Just Joined

That's reassuring to know, thank you both for your replies! I agree Katie, it is confusing when you first start to look around, I don't know where to start!
Bec
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Bec,try here to get you started with all you will need to register as a midwife and therefore practice in NZ

http://www.midwiferycouncil.org.nz/

If it's anything like the nursing council there will be a lot of forms to get together and takes around 3 months for it to be completed and returned with your registration.If potential employers know you are in the process of doing this they will maybe take you more seriously as it does cost to do it.

Phyllis
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:00 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I can't comment from a working perspective, however I've recently needed a midwife for 2 pregnancies and it is so different out here (in Auckland) - and assuming you are not working for a hospital. I was classed a s a low risk pregnancy and was therefore thrown a list of qualified midwives by my GP and told to go and find one - unfortunately for me the baby was due over the summer holidays so most of the midwives would say sorry no can do I'm going to the family bach for all of Jan and Feb!!! So I really had to trawl through the list to a) find one willing to take me on; and b) one that I felt comfortable with. In the end I got a fantastic midwife who promoted natural birth (and pregnancy) with herbal remedies wherever possible, which resulted in a lovely birth and wonderful ante and post natal care. Highly recommend Midwives Collective in Auckland... so in my humble opinion I don't think you'll get any problems finding a job out here.
Good luck