Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Midwifery in New Zealand

Midwifery in New Zealand

Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:17 pm
Novapye

Novapye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwifery in New Zealand

Hi all, I'm new to this site. I am a direct entry student midwife currently in my second year. My partner and I talk a lot about moving to NZ when I qualify but we don't know the in's and out's of the process. If anyone can give me an insight into the process and whether I would need experience before applying or moving would be a great help.

Thank you.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwifery in New Zealand

Hi

I'm not an expert on this but I am a midwife/nurse and have been looking at all this via internet. So far I have gleaned that from a visa point of view - midwives in demand, get more points on visa for how many of experience you have and extra points for job offer etc
From the www.midwiferycouncil.org.nz:
Need verification from NMC
Transcript of programme inc birth numbers, theory/practical hours ect
CV/Resume of post reg ed, experience and job history
A self assessment form to complete
Police reports
Medical check
Refs
And not least 1000 NZD!
Thers' plenty of info on their website so take a look. I know they (visa) like you to have experience in your job but I also know that a newly qualified midwife who went after only 6 months UK experience but she had been out on holiday and did some interviews out there to gain a job offer and therefore got her visa fairly quickly.
Hope that is of some help
Sammy
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:20 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novapye
Hi all, I'm new to this site. I am a direct entry student midwife currently in my second year. My partner and I talk a lot about moving to NZ when I qualify but we don't know the in's and out's of the process. If anyone can give me an insight into the process and whether I would need experience before applying or moving would be a great help.

Thank you.
Hi there,
I'm a mental health nurse, not a midwife but did move here from York . Not sure if I can offer any great info but can give you my point of view. Far better to gain a year of experience in the UK rather than come here fresh was what I was told. You may be expected to join the 'new grad programme' which in essence will be another year of training if you wish to work for a DHB rather than a private enterprise.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:49 pm
Novapye

Thank you both for you advice. The job situation in England for newly qualified midwives is quite dire at the moment. If I can secure a position in England I will, whilst the long and painful process of applying for residency goes through. If not I will be applying for residency without any experience after qualifying.

I still have a year to go before qualifying so hopefully things will have improved by then.

Nicola
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, Nicola

Hopefully when you qualify you will be able to get a job at your training hospital as I think that it is the best way of consolidating your experience but it is probably wise, in the current climate, to plan ahead.
When I finished my training (12 years ago!) I had to do bank work as my hospital would not offer any of the students a job, after 3 months of bank work I then got a temporary contract before finally getting a permanent one. Things have not got any better, have they?

Sammy
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:18 pm
Novapye

No, things have got much worse. We are not permitted to do bank work until we have done a 6 month preceptorship (apprenticeship) after qualifying. No one will employ us, not even for 6 months. As you will know, if you do not work so many hours within three years you have to retrain. I am starting to think it is a lot to put my family through, including getting into debt to get through university, just to be kicked into the gutter when I finish.

Hopefully something will come up and one day we will make it to NZ.

Nicola

Last edited by Novapye; Mar 15th 2007 at 2:18 pm. Reason: spelling