Midwife in NZ

Old Feb 16th 2014, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Mwldn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwife in NZ

Hi all

Looking to either work in Australia or New Zealand in 2015 as a midwife. I'm doing a bit of research but can't really find anyone that knows what it is like to work in either country. I've been qualified for 3 and a half years and have worked in a busy London hospital for all of that. Feels like now is the time to explore. To start with I'm looking for temporary work thinking of working 6 months to a year in either country. Is this possible?

Just looking for someone to tell me what it's like to work in either country so I can make a decision as to where I want to work. I've been to Australia before but never New Zealand so I can't base my decision on that alone.

Also once I've made a decision how do I go about finding a job? And how long does registration take to obtain in either country?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Emma
Old Feb 16th 2014, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Re: Midwife in NZ

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...board-websites

This is a link to the MOH website where you can find infor on the Health Boards of NZ and the career sections.

Working in either counrty would be Visa dependent, I will leave the visa info to the experts on here - they know best.

I am an RN, My registration took about 3 months but I did it while travelling and had to organise additional info to be sent from the UK while in Asia which delayed the process.

I find working as an RN in a hospital environment here in New Zealand brilliant, I love it. I feel the conditions are better and I have a good work/life balance.

When we had our son here in NZ we thought that the midwife was great but very busy to the point where she was overworked, The system in NZ is different from the UK our Midwife followed us from start to finish on call whenever we needed her.
http://www.midwife.org.nz/in-new-zea...ated-services/ Im sure this is one of the model of care they use here.

- I will leave it for a Midwife to explain as I dont know the details.

As for Aussie, I guess you could approach the health boards independently once you decide where you want to live.

You could also look at - Seek - This site adverties jobs both in Aussie but also NZ.

Some people have used agencies successfully as well.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello :-)

Just wanted to say hi, I am going through similar at the minute, but for NZ and permanent, expecting to get there mid 2016.

*wave*
Old Feb 17th 2014, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I'm a UK trained midwife working in Auckland, been here nearly 4 years. I've worked in secondary care, primary care, as an LMC and just today started as a community midwife (yes I know I get around!)

Registration here is through NZ Midwifery Council http://www.midwiferycouncil.health.n...nd-applicants/
How long it takes kinda depends on how long it takes you to get all your evidence together and how long it takes your uni to send through your transcripts. I did it 4+ years ago but from memory it took maybe a couple of months.

As far as finding a job goes you just need to have a look at the individual DHB's (like the UK Trusts) websites and check out their vacancies. You can go through an agency, lots of people myself included used Tonix but in reality the process is really easy so you're as well doing it yourself.

I could rattle on for pages about midwifery here so give me an idea of what you want to know and I'll help you out.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

Wow Lisa, community now, you are having a go at it all

Hi Emma, I've been a hospital (core) midwife here for 15 months now. There are differences to UK practice, but in the hospital setting I'd say its pretty similar and an easy job transition. As a new 'overseas' midwife you're expected to complete overseas competencies before you can practice on your own (LMC) however you can get around this by practicing as part of a group. The competencies are listed on your annual practsing cert and removed as you do them - not really worth doing if you're only coming for 6 months (unless you really like extra study and proffessional development - plus the pharmacology competency takes a good 4-6months as midwives prescribe here). Core midwifery is similar to being in the hospital setting in the Uk - you rotate through ante/intra/postnatal wards, work shifts and sometimes are on-call - you get a salary and set time off. LMC's are on-call 24/7 for their women from booking to 6 weeks pn; some get proper time off by working with other midwives and covering set days off for each other. As Lisa says I could go into detail but would need to know which area youre thinking about.

It took me a couple of months to get my annual practsing cert - most of that time was writing the evidence they required (links have already been supplied to the council website in other posts on this thread).

I worked in a busy inner-city unit in the UK (del suite staff) and have found that on some shifts here it can be equally as busy, but then some shifts are quiet - so I don't feel permanently closs to burn out - lets face it there's not too many different ways to do our basic skills. I do alot less deliveries (seriously alot less), but surprisingly don't miss that part too much; I do get time to provide alot of one on one care which is a huge bonus.

What else do you want to know?

Last edited by thepinkone; Feb 17th 2014 at 6:35 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thepinkone
Wow Lisa, community now, you are having a go at it all
Lol, I know I know!! Got fed up doing shifts and doing mostly post natal work and I really didn't like being on call as an LMC so luckily Auckland still has community teams so giving it a go! We caseload (minus being on call for births) so it's kinda the next best thing to LMC work...let's see how long this lasts!!