Reload this Page >

Midwife needs help!

Midwife needs help!

Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:47 am
Just Joined

glasgowmidwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwife needs help!

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on the New Zealand forum. I have been trying for the past 1.5 years to get a job in Melbourne with no luck. Then I have tried Brisbane with no luck. Now I'm thinking Auckland but I seem to be having the same trouble, no jobs for midwives are coming up. If they are they are temporary, I require sponsorship with a permanent job as we pretty much cannot afford the visas.
I have been in touch with an agency in Auckland but they have told me I would need to already have a visa and probably already be in New Zealand for an interview. That is a bit impossible for me.
Any advice?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:49 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwife needs help!

when you say sponsorship what do you mean.? I do not believe employers sponsor over here. you may get some help with moving costs but for someone to actually pay for you to work here I think will not happen as there are to many people after to few jobs.

To gain visa you need to see if you can gain over 140 points on the EOI (expression of interest) your career as a midwife is still in the LTSSL (long term skilled shortage list) at the moment so I personally would fill out the points indicator https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/ and see what points you get.

If you get over 140 then you can immediately apply and be selected from the EOI on the selection date which is run fortnightly. If you do not get over 140 you can still submit the EOI but you would need a job offer to stand a chance of being accepted to take the visa further onto ITA (invitation to apply) where they look at your application and make their decision.

You would need to have, I believe at least 2 yrs worth of work in the field to be able to apply and you would also need to register with the nursing authority over here and pass a test (?) someone with better knowledge on these requirements will probably be along soon.

take the points indicator and let us know what points you can obtain.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jan 13th 2014 at 6:10 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:00 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the NZ bit!

This seems to b e a common problem with employers, they don't understand that usually it's job first then visa. It's up to the employee to educate them

Midwives are on the long term skills shortage list which means that you have options are far as which visa to go for is concerned.
Your main choices (assuming you don't have a NZ partner):

Work visa - job first, then apply, temporary only. You would need to apply for either of the two below for residency.
Work to Residence visa (WTR) - job first, you get a work visa that can be converted to residency after you've worked for two years. There is a LTSSL category.
Skilled Migrant Category - this is an application for residency. It is based on points. You get extra pts for being on the LTSSL but it depends on how many points you have as to how likely you are to be successful.

I'm not sure how many employers pay for the visas. Some might, some might not.
Also have a look at the pros and cons to life in NZ if you haven't already. It is different to Australia!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:03 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We posted together MrsF!

There has been the occasional selection where those with '135 points, no job offer and 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage' have been drawn in the past year, but it hasn't happened very often.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
We posted together MrsF!
yes and I reported you for it

sorry mate was trying to leave you karma and hit the wrong button. really do need to open the curtains to let some light in or go back to bed
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:36 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
yes and I reported you for it

sorry mate was trying to leave you karma and hit the wrong button. really do need to open the curtains to let some light in or go back to bed
I'm not talking to you any more, so there....
And I'll tell Sue on you
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welcome to the NZ forum Glasgowmidwife.

As you have now discovered our Concierges are knowledgeable but also complete bonkers.

I think I'll move this to the main NZ forum as really, for you, it will be all about getting that job offer.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm an ex Glasgow/Ayrshire midwife now working in Auckland so hopefully I can be of some help.

Firstly as far as Auckland jobs are concerned have you been looking directly on the DHB web sites (ADHB and CMDHB) I was on there just a week or so ago and both had adverts for permanent positions. Saying that, the web sites basically revolve ads as the DHB's are pretty much always looking for staff so its always worth just sending a cover letter and your CV to recruitment regardless.
However, if you want to go through an agency I'd recommend Tonix, I used them when I first came over and they were excellent. Health jobs seem to be treated kinda differently as far as interviews etc go (and it sounds like your agency don't know what they're talking about) DHB's here are happy to interview overseas candidates by phone or Skype so no need to be in the country and they're also happy to offer long waiting periods between hiring and actually starting the job (I got my job offer in March and didn't start until August)

I came over on a work visa simply because it was much quicker to organise and then applied for residency once I was here. Mind you it sounds like you'll need a job offer regardless so that wont really matter at the moment and if your planning on tagging your partner onto your visa application it'll need to be straight to residency.

Have you looked into the role of the midwife in NZ, sorry if that sounds patronising but so many people come over here and have no clue of the differences between UK and NZ midwifery that they're kinda shocked when they get here. I've worked in primary and secondary care as well as an LMC here so if you need any info please just ask.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:15 pm
Queen of the Underworld

If you're on a work visa then your partner can apply for a partnership based temporary work visa on the back of it. The partner gets one for the same length as yours. It doesn't have to be straight to residency.

Lisa can give you much more useful advice since she's doing the job!

Bonkers, me? possibly
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:45 pm
`

Originally Posted by Persephone
Bonkers, me? possibly
Possibly
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

I found the DHB's were very helpful when it came to offering assistance with visa applications. I worked for Counties Manukau on a WHV initially and they were able to fasttrack my resident visa within 3 months arranging more appropriate work visas in the interim while it was processed.

You can find a list of DHB's easily online and they all have career sections.

Lisa seems to know the score, our independent midwife was great and followed us from the outset but her hours were long and - credit where credits due
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

kiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to behold

If your coming over get your registration sorted sooner rather Han later, it can take a while to sort out!

http://nursingcouncil.org.nz/Nurses/...l-registration - information and paper work
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi wanna be
If your coming over get your registration sorted sooner rather Han later, it can take a while to sort out!

http://nursingcouncil.org.nz/Nurses/...l-registration - information and paper work

Midwifery registration is usually a fair bit faster than for nurses, also we have a totally separate council so your links incorrect for midwives (sorry at work on my phone or I'd post the right one)
It is something you'll need to sort before you get a job though, or at least have your application in process so always worth a thought if you haven't done so already.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:55 am
`

lisamct. You are ace .
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

http://http://www.midwiferycouncil.h...nd-applicants/

Here it is. Once you are granted your registration, you will find that you'll have some restrictions on your practice for 18mths & will have a few courses to complete in that time.

HTH