Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

madmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud of
Question Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

Hello everyone,

I am a midwife inthe UK and am seriously considering a move away. Was thinking of doing a year or two in Saudi to raise some money but worry that the limitations over there will be too much. I've always wanted to visit NZ and when I've talked to people (who've never lived there!!) they say I should go to Australia instead. Am keen to get some feedback from people in healthcare over there. Currently I work for the NHS in community and hospital settings, have 4 years experience and was RGN prior to that. I'm 34, single with no dependants and can be over there by June 2008.

Hope you can shed some light - thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

Crumpets the world is your oyster so to speak!

As you are aware there is a world-wide shortage of nurses and especially midwifes, you could have your pick of many many different countries and NZ is just one of them.

Nursing and midwifery may not offer much in terms of salary but as a passport to travel it has to be one of the better and preferred professions.

There are several nurses and midwifes on this shallow website and I feel confident one of them will be along in a minute to answer your queries more fully.

Until one arrives, keep pushing and panting, lie on your left side and breathe the Entinox, sending you some 10 cms dilation karma.

Good luck

NG
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:32 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

YES YES YES

If you're as stretched as i was in the uk then i would say yes...although i know that some midwives in the big hospital (Auckland for instance) are just as run off their feet as say us lot in the uk are.

Staff to patient ratio at christchurch women's hospital are much better than i'm used to

on a normal shift at my uk hospital there's 5-6 midwives to 14-18 women

at chch women's there at least 8 midwives per shift (there as a core midwife you're called in as a second midwife to the LMC's who are not part of the numbers quoted...if that makes sense)

won't be back on the site for a while as i'll be travelling to NZ but if i can help in any way just PM me or ask away on this thread
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

I don't know much about midwifery (except we had brilliant care here when our youngest was born and the hospital "felt" nicer than my very limited experience of UK ones). But as a young single person wanting to experience somewhere different, varied and yet civilised, you couldn't do much better than NZ. It depends what you're into of course - if you live for shopping etc or want 24/7 hot sunny weather you might be better off in Dubai or Oz