Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

That middle of the night phone call from the UK

That middle of the night phone call from the UK

Old May 10th 2013, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default That middle of the night phone call from the UK

A couple of weeks ago, got a phone call in the middle of the night. Sets your mind going straight away
when that happens. I answered fully expecting bad news, believing something had happened to one of my
terminally ill Aunts. But no, tragically my sister in law had passed away. She went to sleep one night
and never woke up. She was rushed into hospital a couple of days earlier, had a scan and was operated on
for a cyst on her brain. Unfortunately they also discovered having successfully removed the cyst an
amount of water on her brain. Close monitoring over the next couple of days identified no brain activity
at all and with my brothers permission the life support was turned off and she silently passed away.

frantically sourcing flights back i leave for a whistle stop 7 day visit next Friday for the funeral. Have to say, the guys
in the flightcentre in Wellington were fantastic. They contacted all the airlines that offer the bereavement
flights option and even those that don't to see if i could get discount for the flight. Though unfortunately
that didn't materialise they did get me some flights leaving Auckland via Shanghai & Amsterdam before arriving
in Birmingham and back via Paris and Shanghai for $2600.

After making the move back in 2007, you don't think about how much being 10000 miles away hurts when you loose a loved one.
We've never regretted it and wouldn't move back in a million years, just don't like my first trip back being for a death.
Old May 10th 2013, 5:39 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That middle of the night phone call from the UK

Really sorry for your news Simon.
Old May 10th 2013, 6:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry also about the news, and what a shock it must of been to all.
Glad you sorted a flight and will be there for your brother and other family members.
Old May 10th 2013, 7:17 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

It's that midnight tragic news phone call that everyone dreads whether their loved ones are far or near.
Old May 10th 2013, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
sorry also about the news, and what a shock it must of been to all.
Glad you sorted a flight and will be there for your brother and other family members.
Originally Posted by Catchafire View Post
Really sorry for your news Simon.
Thanks guys...
Old May 10th 2013, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Really very sorry for your loss. We went through this recently, although my sister in law waited until she knew we would be awake before phoning with news of my fathe in law's death. Don't see the point of waking people in the middle of the night.
Good luck with your trip.
Old May 10th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for your sad news Simon, you take care.
Old May 10th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that Simon. I've been in that situation too. It seems to happen to everybody at some point as you say. I am sure your relatives will appreciate your making the effort (mine did - despite saying I could stay put in NZ) and you may even bring back some positive memories despite it seeming unlikely at this stage. Safe flight.
Old May 10th 2013, 4:00 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear your news. That's when the distance really hits you, not happened to me but I'm sure it will at some point.
So glad you managed to get reasonable flights.
Take care
P
Old May 11th 2013, 9:46 am
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Very sorry to hear of your sad news.
Like other posters I have had a very similar sad situation to deal with.
My dad died 8 months after I moved to NZ and obviously that was a very difficult time for me.
Distance is everything when you are going through the emotional burden of losing a loved one and 12,000 miles is as distant as you can get.
My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.
Old May 11th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks guys, really appreciated...
Old May 11th 2013, 10:36 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Simon, how are you coping with the loss of your sister in law ? It's hard to concentrate when you are consumed with grief. How is your brother coping ?

My thoughts are with you.
Old May 11th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Simon, how are you coping with the loss of your sister in law ? It's hard to concentrate when you are consumed with grief. How is your brother coping ?

My thoughts are with you.
The first few days were the hardest, as she had died so suddenly, my brother was being bombarded from all corners, that he felt he had to stop answering the phone and it was difficult to get hold of him... Things have settled down now, as he's been trying to keep himself busy, sorting the funeral out and other paperwork. He's happier now I've also got flights booked... Although I'm not looking forward to the flying, that's negated by knowing what I'm going back for.
Old May 12th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear of your loss Simon. Im going back for a trip in July as my dad is going to be 76 this year so the reality of that middle of the night phone call are getting more real.
Kaz