Mid Winter

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mid Winter

Well I have to say it feels nothing like mid winter today with the crisp frost this morning and the beautiful day it has turned into today. Equivalent to the 22nd December back home - na - no contest! We know it can all change in a heartbeat but I feel the winters here are so much better than back in the UK. Shortest day has now passed us by and spring will be popping up before we know it. I think it is because winter comes and goes in the same year not like back home where you have new year in between, somehow it seems longer there than here. My house today is flooded with sunshine and the heat pump has ceased pumping out the hot air as it has reached the temperature from the sun coming in. Great isn't it to have a house facing north.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:54 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mid Winter

Let me tell you that it *definitely* feels like midwinter here!! I'm not long back from watching the youngest's hockey match (played at one of the most exposed and miserable sites in town) where it was alternatively raining and sleeting and blowing an icy cold wind, brrrr.

The lad was so cold at the end of the match (they drew btw, first time the haven't won this season) that he couldn't straighten his fingers, and his hands were so white they almost looked transparent

Thankfully I had my 3/4 length Kathmandu down coat on with the hood pulled tight over my head (though my cheeks were distinctly icy and my knees as well).

Won't tell you what I said to OH when we got back home and found that tge house wasn't exactly toastie warm since no-one had bothered to turn the heat pump on (I'll get my own back on him tomorrow when he's watching son playing footbal ).
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Auckland winters. I can live with sat outside the pub on Saturday in a T Shirt Mid winter? I think not.
Saying that if I end up in Invercargill I will have a different opinion. Ice bergs off the coast sometimes I hear
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:59 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think the enjoyment of winter here depends entirely upon the sort of house you're living in! Get that sorted and winter here is a rather pleasant affair.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:18 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

without wanting to jinx anything.....I keep wondering when the harsh bit of winter will come. Yeah we've had stupid amounts of rain in Welly, but no really really cold weather (except a couple of days).

But then I keep thinking we're now in the equivalent of UK's December....and I always found Jan and Feb to be colder than Jan, so I guess proper winter is still around the corner.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Its mid winter & was the shortest day yesterday in NZ & mid summer & the longest day in the UK and NZ is only 4° colder than the UK!! How mad is that??!!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelloid View Post
without wanting to jinx anything.....I keep wondering when the harsh bit of winter will come. Yeah we've had stupid amounts of rain in Welly, but no really really cold weather (except a couple of days).

But then I keep thinking we're now in the equivalent of UK's December....and I always found Jan and Feb to be colder than Jan, so I guess proper winter is still around the corner.
Tomorrow apparently it is all going t***ts up!!!LOL
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
I think the enjoyment of winter here depends entirely upon the sort of house you're living in! Get that sorted and winter here is a rather pleasant affair.
Yes I probably agree with that.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rason View Post
Auckland winters. I can live with sat outside the pub on Saturday in a T Shirt Mid winter? I think not.
Saying that if I end up in Invercargill I will have a different opinion. Ice bergs off the coast sometimes I hear
Well I was sat outside in a pub garden on Saturday looking out over Lyttleton harbour from the Godley pub. It was lovely and we even ate our meal out there.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon View Post
Let me tell you that it *definitely* feels like midwinter here!! I'm not long back from watching the youngest's hockey match (played at one of the most exposed and miserable sites in town) where it was alternatively raining and sleeting and blowing an icy cold wind, brrrr.

The lad was so cold at the end of the match (they drew btw, first time the haven't won this season) that he couldn't straighten his fingers, and his hands were so white they almost looked transparent

Thankfully I had my 3/4 length Kathmandu down coat on with the hood pulled tight over my head (though my cheeks were distinctly icy and my knees as well).

Won't tell you what I said to OH when we got back home and found that tge house wasn't exactly toastie warm since no-one had bothered to turn the heat pump on (I'll get my own back on him tomorrow when he's watching son playing footbal ).
Poor you are you way down south then!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:21 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it was because of the Northland drought this summer but the trees are odd this winter - lots of ours still have leaves on them. Usually by now they are all well naked!
We're lighting our fire in the evenings and I did have on long sleeves today - whoo hoo - but that's about as cold as it gets up here. I kind of miss it though, I liked getting all layered up and going for a walk.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RobDon View Post
Its mid winter & was the shortest day yesterday in NZ & mid summer & the longest day in the UK and NZ is only 4° colder than the UK!! How mad is that??!!
I'm not sure where you get your figures from but it's currently 22° in Edinburgh and the Forecast for Wellington is 12°.

As a matter of interest: my wife works shifts and came home at 03:20 on Sunday morning. I got up and had a cup of tea with her and by 03:45 it was broad daylight. I then went out for a pint on Sunday evening and sat outside one of the 15 or so pubs dotted around Leith shore before strolling home in broad daylight at 22:30. It then got "dark" around 23:10
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:29 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither View Post
I'm not sure where you get your figures from but it's currently 22° in Edinburgh and the Forecast for Wellington is 12°.

As a matter of interest: my wife works shifts and came home at 03:20 on Sunday morning. I got up and had a cup of tea with her and by 03:45 it was broad daylight. I then went out for a pint on Sunday evening and sat outside one of the 15 or so pubs dotted around Leith shore before strolling home in broad daylight at 22:30. It then got "dark" around 23:10
Most days last week were colder in the Midlands than AKL.....We have only warmed up in the last 2.1/2 days.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Last week was last week. The comparison was made for today. I have no idea what the temperature was last week in Auckland but we have been nicely warmed up here for the last couple of weeks.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:20 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get ahead of yourselves, winter can last until December........even up here in the "soft" north.
Used my puffy jacket more this year than last although we had a couple of real-ish frosts back then.
Twas parky in the house today when I got in from work. But just pulled on another layer, stretched me legs and suddenly it was "all good", even with shorts on - Kiwi neighbour commented that I had "hardened up" as I wear shorts all winter.
Hope the weather holds in Blighty as will be back at the weekend.
Two more sleeps till we fly - WOOOT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.