British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mental Health Nursing: Cultural training? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mental-health-nursing-cultural-training-683212/)

Aliwales Aug 29th 2010 1:57 pm

Mental Health Nursing: Cultural training?

HI

Are there any M/H Nurses who could advise if cultural/ maori awareness training is part of any initial training when you get a job in NZ? I'm hoping so, but I am not sure - In the UK cultural and diversity training is part and parcel, however maori culture is so unique I would hope that us newbies to NZ would get some info before being let loose on the patients?!?!

Ta Ali :unsure:

ps: the questions r coming thick and fast now lol! apologies for bombarding the forum tee hee :D

shelloid Aug 29th 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Mental Health Nursing: Cultural training?

Hi, I'm not a mental health nurse, but am a pharmacist working for a DHB. In my DHB cultural training was all part of the generic DHB induction, and I beleive that the nurses had extra training as it is more relevant to their role.

It is something that is very important in NZ healthcare, so I'm sure you would get adequate training (and it seems to be even more important in the mental health areas from my experience).

I'm currently covering mental health, so if you want me to have a chat to the nurses to find out what sort of training they had, just give me a shout.

Justcol Aug 30th 2010 1:06 am

Yes most places run maori culture courses. Mostly they comprise of a class of studebts
and a maori person at the front telling you all how bad you are.
You'll see lots of maori in the M/H sector as its probably the only one the actually access.
Getting maori to access other areas of health is a big problem down here
and one that isnt going to fixed anytime soon.
You can enrol on cultural courses yourself, you dont need an employer to do it

nero Aug 30th 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8812094)
Yes most places run maori culture courses. Mostly they comprise of a class of studebts
and a maori person at the front telling you all how bad you are.
You'll see lots of maori in the M/H sector as its probably the only one the actually access.
Getting maori to access other areas of health is a big problem down here
and one that isnt going to fixed anytime soon.
You can enrol on cultural courses yourself, you dont need an employer to do it

I am currently completing my return to nursing course here in NZ, the cultural awareness course that we had was excellent and did not resemble the above at all. I am working on an acute medical ward and we have lots of Maori patients and patients from a variety of different cultures. We have excellent support and assistance from the Maori and Pacific Health workers. If you have PR when you come to NZ you can also enrol for a year long Maori Ora course, which is FREE and really good. Good luck with your move to NZ.

pricklykina Aug 30th 2010 8:49 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 8812613)
I am currently completing my return to nursing course here in NZ, the cultural awareness course that we had was excellent and did not resemble the above at all. I am working on an acute medical ward and we have lots of Maori patients and patients from a variety of different cultures. We have excellent support and assistance from the Maori and Pacific Health workers. If you have PR when you come to NZ you can also enrol for a year long Maori Ora course, which is FREE and really good. Good luck with your move to NZ.

Yeah mine have been pretty good too.
I work for an AOD service so part of MH. I did treaty and cultural responsibility papers prior to my current job so I wasn't required to do further. However I hear good things about the DHB training. And honestly, I just ask if I don't know something.
If you stay open (and you sound like you are) you will learn heaps and have a rich experience

Moses65 Aug 30th 2010 1:42 pm

All DHBs provide training on culture and Treaty of Waitangi.
I did it when I first started and mine was in no way a session based on a person saying how bad I or my ancestors were.
Its a great way to understand the impact of the Maori culture on the understanding of mental health and mental illness and how the services need to take the cultural and spirtual aspects into account and the need to get the agreement of the whanau (family) in planning care.
I found it really enlightening and useful in both work and my understanding of the issues for the people of NZ as they are very different to those in the UK.

forshy Aug 30th 2010 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Aliwales (Post 8810993)
HI

Are there any M/H Nurses who could advise if cultural/ maori awareness training is part of any initial training when you get a job in NZ? I'm hoping so, but I am not sure - In the UK cultural and diversity training is part and parcel, however maori culture is so unique I would hope that us newbies to NZ would get some info before being let loose on the patients?!?!

Ta Ali :unsure:

ps: the questions r coming thick and fast now lol! apologies for bombarding the forum tee hee :D

Hi Ali ( Im also Ali)

I am a mental health nurse and we moved to auckland 5 months ago from manchester :)
Since being here i have been on lots of Maori and Pacific Island training which has been invaluable. There is certainly in auckland lots of cultural training which has been enlightening and invaluable! most invaluable has been my personal experience and reflection as suddenly i am now a foreigner! that is a bizzarre feeling at times:confused:
Also got alot of my training off my kids age 6 & 7 who go to school and learn to speak Maori and know far more than i do!:eek:
one the whole i am still a believer that if you treat people with respect and ask questions you cannot go far wrong!
good luck!:thumbsup:
forshy:thumbsup:

bourbon-biscuit Aug 31st 2010 6:31 am

Colandros, ever the troll.

Yes, all DHBs incorporate cultural training into your induction, often including a marae visit. You'll find Māori and PIers over represented in mental health, which increases the onus on health professionals to understand the historical and cultural contexts. Where are you heading to?

Justcol Aug 31st 2010 12:13 pm

sorry but i say it as i see it.

Aliwales Aug 31st 2010 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 8815287)
Colandros, ever the troll.

Yes, all DHBs incorporate cultural training into your induction, often including a marae visit. You'll find Māori and PIers over represented in mental health, which increases the onus on health professionals to understand the historical and cultural contexts. Where are you heading to?

I will be in Auckland somewhere! lol, Have given the recruitment pretty much fee reign, so she can secure me a job (need one to immgrate to boost points). So the finer details aren't secure yet but I was hoping for North or West because I plan on living on the hibiscus Coast if i can :D

Aliwales Aug 31st 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks all for the feedback, it's much apprecitaed, I cannot wait to get there and get working!:)

bourbon-biscuit Aug 31st 2010 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8815831)
sorry but i say it as i see it.

Indeed Colandros, but there's seeing and *seeing* and your posts suggest you look only with your eyes without engaging brain and that you enjoy being controversial, which is inflammatory and unhelpful. Did you have cultural training in the tiling and grouting industry or are you speaking from prior experience or something else?

forshy Aug 31st 2010 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Aliwales (Post 8816391)
I will be in Auckland somewhere! lol, Have given the recruitment pretty much fee reign, so she can secure me a job (need one to immgrate to boost points). So the finer details aren't secure yet but I was hoping for North or West because I plan on living on the hibiscus Coast if i can :D

I cover both west and north, feel free to PM me as i could give you the details of the people you could speak too!
Forshy:thumbup:

Aliwales Sep 1st 2010 7:22 am

Thanks Forshy, That's much appreciated! The poor recruitment lady is struggling on the jobs front at present, apparently Auckland/ New Zealand is experiencing an all time low on the vacancy front, never mind just gonna have to learn more patience lol :lol:

Aliwales Sep 13th 2010 10:53 am

Just received an invitation for a telephone interview! and have suddenly broken out in nervous stammmmer lol!!! Eek, I will be reading diligently about the treaty etc from now till then! fingers crossed and thanks for the advise once again!!