Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Men..... in shorts!

Men..... in shorts!

Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all
Default Re: Men..... in shorts!

Originally Posted by Kevin
I wasn’t going to write this, but what the hell… I know some of you will say its me with the problem, but hell I don’t care anymore.

Grown men in shorts… in mid winter! Well it just isn’t right is it!

There I was minding my own business walking round New World looking for those clever baskets, and there he stood, right in front of me. He looked like a cross between Desperate Dan and Terry Scott (anyone under 45 won’t get that). All that was missing was a catapult sticking out of his back pocket. But wait, the best part was, he had on white socks and sandals (I absolutely and categorically refuse to call them Jandals… I don’t do “Gummies” either… I mean come on, that sounds like something you would get from an OAP hooker!)…. I digress.
I wear “shorts” when my “boys” are threatening to poach themselves, and not a moment sooner!

What really cracks me up though is when I see someone without any footwear … in the supermarket… in winter! Seen it during our first winter here back in 2007, saw this woman get out of her car, followed by a teenager in a tee shirt, shorts and nothing else. There was ice on the ground!!!!!!! Thought I was seeing things. My wife had on twenty five layers of clothing, four pairs of socks, electrically heated underwear and she still had icicles hanging off her nose! Since then we have both seen this strange phenomenon a good few times. Are these people just really really tough or just thick?

Anyway, back to the men in shorts… in winter. I was thinking of getting up a petition of sorts, "DOWN WITH MENS SHORTS"… or something like that. Would like to hear what y’all think on this topic. Or does anyone have any more stories of clothing “faux pas” they would like to share?
Maybe I can shed some light on this suject. I have been in NZ for 6 years now and I guess I must have gone "native" . 3 years ago I passed my truck licence and have been driving large trucks ever since...and I love it. I drove log trucks for 2 years and I am driving a milk tanker for Fonterra _ what a great job it is too!
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ilies/rofl.gif
There is a very good reason for the shorts!

You will have noticed that, certainly in the upper North Island, the winter weather is a lot warmer than in the UK but it still rains a lot. Being outside in long trousers and getting them wet is unpleasent especially if you then have to sit in them all day while they dry out. Shorts mean that it is your legs that get wet and skin can be dried very quickly!
Most of the drivers will carry a towel with them in the truck to dry their legs. I am not sure that shorts are really sartorially elegant but they are certaily very practical.
Incidentally - in UK I wore a dark blue suit ans white shirt to work every day for nearly 30 years!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:01 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulGent
.....You will have noticed that, certainly in the upper North Island, the winter weather is a lot warmer than in the UK but it still rains a lot. Being outside in long trousers and getting them wet is unpleasent especially if you then have to sit in them all day while they dry out. Shorts mean that it is your legs that get wet and skin can be dried very quickly!...
+1 to that. A pair of decent shorts in squally wet yet warm weather beats a pair of denims any day, as does a pair of sandals/jandals over sodden trainers/shoes.

What I just don't get is the "tea-cosy" hat, you know the bucket hat made out of day-glo flannelette or summat. Now that makes no sense at all.

I also find it odd that lots of sports coaches wear those short gum boots, can't be very mobile on the footy field wearing those....
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
WARNING:Saturday 16th July 10.30am, Gulf Harbour to Orewa. I shall be travelling between these two locations in my favourite PJ's. I shall then be attending my tap dancing class in said attire for 45mins
Yay, go girl, picked my laddo up from Cadets last Monday in my jimjams, didn't get out the car so think reputation in tact
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

There are some very strange, and I fear "sick" people on this forum!
God, I hope so!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh ~ I quite regularly muck out the ponies in my PJ's but no one can see me (I think). Would not under any circumstances go to supermarket in them!!! Sounds like NZ is very laid back with their dress code.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by florabundi
Ahhh ~ I quite regularly muck out the ponies in my PJ's but no one can see me (I think). Would not under any circumstances go to supermarket in them!!! Sounds like NZ is very laid back with their dress code.
Please tell me you dont then wear them to bed!!???
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

And what is it with “Sherpa hats”…. Okay, they can look cute on a eighteen year old blonde Scandinavian girl… but last year our bricklayers labourer turned up wearing one, with the side tassels hanging down about a foot n’ a half…. He looked like a very muscular and butch version of “Heidi”…..

I remember when I was a kid, it was hard to make us “kids” wear hats or hoods of any description as we were conscious of being seen as woosies…. Now “hoodies” are cool, to the point where some shops ban kids from wearing them (that’s a turnaround huh?), and woolly hats that make guys look like a gender challenged Shirley Temple (Alpine Heidi)…. I mean how do these things happen?

Scooters… there's another good example. Grown men (and women) “scooting” along on kids scooters…

When I was about FOUR it was the done thing to pass the scooter down to “little brother” when you graduated up to a small bicycle, with stabilisers. It was almost like a right of passage thing… you had taken a large stride, you had started to “grow up”. Self affirmation was also a part of the process as you then had to “tease” your younger sibling for being such a baby… on his baby scooter (which you had ridden up till two days ago).
But there it was, there was no going back now… scooters were for babies… bikes were for “older” boys and girls.

…and now? you see them everywhere… teenagers, young adults, adults who want to be seen as cool…. Scooting along without so much a care in the world… absolutely oblivious to the fact that the slightly “older” ones amongst us view them with…, well, lets just say that some of us just have to smile and shake our heads!

Sh*t I’m getting old!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Has the 'socks and jandals' thing been brought up yet?

Socks AND jandals...
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:14 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Has the 'socks and jandals' thing been brought up yet?

Socks AND jandals...
yep - of course sandals in brown/black with socks in white and pulled up to the fullest extent, delightfull.

how about shorts and rigger boots or shorts and ankle boots with gaiters - choice
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

No Kevin ~ once the aroma of the stable has gotten into your clothes the only place for them is the laundry basket!!! Although daughter would do so if not kept in check but then she "just loves the smell of ponies"
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8484116.stm

Do you think Countdown et al will follow?

I have to say I have seen some shockers walking down Streatham High Road....one lady in a Christmas nightie in the middle of the day and it wasn't even Christmas time , one lady with one whole boob sticking out of her top (might of been other issues there though to be fair) and I could go on all day about the summer attire of English men....football shorts, shiny icky football shirts, trainers with socks on, pot bellies, white legs, white tummies...did I mention no tan ....and the good old string vest! Give me a pair of stubbies anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad is a good old Southern man and he wears shorts all year round, tee shirt in summer and fleece in winter! Not sure I have ever seen him wear a coat....EVER!!!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dannigirl
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8484116.stm

Do you think Countdown et al will follow?

I have to say I have seen some shockers walking down Streatham High Road....one lady in a Christmas nightie in the middle of the day and it wasn't even Christmas time , one lady with one whole boob sticking out of her top (might of been other issues there though to be fair) and I could go on all day about the summer attire of English men....football shorts, shiny icky football shirts, trainers with socks on, pot bellies, white legs, white tummies...did I mention no tan ....and the good old string vest! Give me a pair of stubbies anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad is a good old Southern man and he wears shorts all year round, tee shirt in summer and fleece in winter! Not sure I have ever seen him wear a coat....EVER!!!
She said she had been "popping in for a pack of fags”………

Well that sums it up for me…. anyone remember Harry Enfield and his character dueo Wayne and Waynetta Slob…. I bed Waynetta used to often pop into Kwiksave for her “fags” in her PJ’s.

Last edited by Kevin; Jul 14th 2011 at 8:45 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:06 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
God, I hope so!

And what is it with “Sherpa hats”…. Okay, they can look cute on a eighteen year old blonde Scandinavian girl… but last year our bricklayers labourer turned up wearing one, with the side tassels hanging down about a foot n’ a half…. He looked like a very muscular and butch version of “Heidi”…..

I remember when I was a kid, it was hard to make us “kids” wear hats or hoods of any description as we were conscious of being seen as woosies…. Now “hoodies” are cool, to the point where some shops ban kids from wearing them (that’s a turnaround huh?), and woolly hats that make guys look like a gender challenged Shirley Temple (Alpine Heidi)…. I mean how do these things happen?

Scooters… there's another good example. Grown men (and women) “scooting” along on kids scooters…

When I was about FOUR it was the done thing to pass the scooter down to “little brother” when you graduated up to a small bicycle, with stabilisers. It was almost like a right of passage thing… you had taken a large stride, you had started to “grow up”. Self affirmation was also a part of the process as you then had to “tease” your younger sibling for being such a baby… on his baby scooter (which you had ridden up till two days ago).
But there it was, there was no going back now… scooters were for babies… bikes were for “older” boys and girls.

…and now? you see them everywhere… teenagers, young adults, adults who want to be seen as cool…. Scooting along without so much a care in the world… absolutely oblivious to the fact that the slightly “older” ones amongst us view them with…, well, lets just say that some of us just have to smile and shake our heads!

Sh*t I’m getting old!
are you serious? Adults on scooters? the kind you push along with your leg??

Ponies
Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kija

are you serious? Adults on scooters? the kind you push along with your leg??

Ponies
You kiddin'.... you havent seen em?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:29 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Adults arrive at my kids school on an array of scooters, skateboards, rip sticks, rollerblades etc - and no not all of them have ridden them there for the kids ...

I'm quite jealous, I'd love to be able to skateboard. I did threaten to turn up on rollerblades to which my 12 year old son said "and you'll be blading home again ... alone."

I don't mind the shorts and jandals all year round (obviously drawing the line at socks) but then we live very beachy so it kind of fits in here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.