Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Men..... in shorts!

Men..... in shorts!

Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all
Default Re: Men..... in shorts!

Originally Posted by Kevin
I wasn’t going to write this, but what the hell… I know some of you will say its me with the problem, but hell I don’t care anymore.

Grown men in shorts… in mid winter! Well it just isn’t right is it!

There I was minding my own business walking round New World looking for those clever baskets, and there he stood, right in front of me. He looked like a cross between Desperate Dan and Terry Scott (anyone under 45 won’t get that). All that was missing was a catapult sticking out of his back pocket. But wait, the best part was, he had on white socks and sandals (I absolutely and categorically refuse to call them Jandals… I don’t do “Gummies” either… I mean come on, that sounds like something you would get from an OAP hooker!)…. I digress.
I wear “shorts” when my “boys” are threatening to poach themselves, and not a moment sooner!

What really cracks me up though is when I see someone without any footwear … in the supermarket… in winter! Seen it during our first winter here back in 2007, saw this woman get out of her car, followed by a teenager in a tee shirt, shorts and nothing else. There was ice on the ground!!!!!!! Thought I was seeing things. My wife had on twenty five layers of clothing, four pairs of socks, electrically heated underwear and she still had icicles hanging off her nose! Since then we have both seen this strange phenomenon a good few times. Are these people just really really tough or just thick?

Anyway, back to the men in shorts… in winter. I was thinking of getting up a petition of sorts, "DOWN WITH MENS SHORTS"… or something like that. Would like to hear what y’all think on this topic. Or does anyone have any more stories of clothing “faux pas” they would like to share?

Love it kevin, being scottish we have pride in how we look, however i do like the fact that people dont care how they look here and good on them. I would certainly not allow my hubby out the door wi shorts socks and flip flops as they do here. I would have to lock him in lol. The bare footers i dont get but hey whatever makes them happy. Its the people you see in new world and the warehouse in there p.j's, housecoat and slippers that i dont get? when i arrived here i had to look twice thought i was seeing things, but good on you all who think this is acceptable.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
You and me both, I'm waiting for the presales for Foo Fighters and Tenacious D - that's going to be so good http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/foo-fi...h-tenacious-d/
Im hoping the phonics come back over at some point
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Snazishaz
Love it kevin, being scottish we have pride in how we look, however i do like the fact that people dont care how they look here and good on them. I would certainly not allow my hubby out the door wi shorts socks and flip flops as they do here. I would have to lock him in lol. The bare footers i dont get but hey whatever makes them happy. Its the people you see in new world and the warehouse in there p.j's, housecoat and slippers that i dont get? when i arrived here i had to look twice thought i was seeing things, but good on you all who think this is acceptable.

We saw a woman in a orange set of PJ’s… with pictures of bunnies or something all over them… and fluffy slippers! That was in the city, as we were heading through towards Sumner about 6.45 Friday evening!

I don’t know about “good on you all…” personally I think it drags a place down and makes it look scummy… I don’t think you would get away with that in Merivale on a Friday evening, and right too!
Have you seen the photos going around of people in Wal-Mart (US), well it gives anyone who shops there a bad name, and the same goes for here too.
To me they are just lazy ass buggars who can’t be arsed to get dressed to go to the shop, and what about the fact that they are going to get in bed wearing clothes they have just been dragging around the streets in… No wonder some visitors get to thinking “we” live in “Hicksville County”.
... And yes, the Scotts I knew back home all took pride in their appearance.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snazishaz
Love it kevin, being scottish we have pride in how we look, .
you must be from a different scotland to the one i used to go to
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dustybin
you must be from a different scotland to the one i used to go to
Most places have their "rough" parts....... London, plenty of posh bars, clubs and the like, but you don't have to look far to see homeless folk wandering around....

Glasgow, some good bits, but some very very bad bits
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I saw a woman in bare feet in Nimbin and asked her WTF it was all about. She admonished me for wearing shoes. I said, "but when I go home I can take them off"

Her reply of, "*****ing townies and their *****ing weird *****ing sh*t, get the ***** back toy town, town boy"

And with that she turned and trod bare foot in a fresh dog turd that some dog had just curled out on the pavement behind her.

Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
I saw a woman in bare feet in Nimbin and asked her WTF it was all about. She admonished me for wearing shoes. I said, "but when I go home I can take them off"

Her reply of, "*****ing townies and their *****ing weird *****ing sh*t, get the ***** back toy town, town boy"

And with that she turned and trod bare foot in a fresh dog turd that some dog had just curled out on the pavement behind her.

Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:47 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

WARNING:Saturday 16th July 10.30am, Gulf Harbour to Orewa. I shall be travelling between these two locations in my favourite PJ's. I shall then be attending my tap dancing class in said attire for 45mins
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:31 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
WARNING:Saturday 16th July 10.30am, Gulf Harbour to Orewa. I shall be travelling between these two locations in my favourite PJ's. I shall then be attending my tap dancing class in said attire for 45mins

Aren't you worried about what would happen if the car broke down? I've done it here a couple of times very late at night but I was always worried the car would konk out or something and I'd be stranded in my PJ's
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kija

Aren't you worried about what would happen if the car broke down? I've done it here a couple of times very late at night but I was always worried the car would konk out or something and I'd be stranded in my PJ's
I shall just pretend to be a very eccentric English lady. I plan to get a feather boa too
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:37 pm
We're HERE!!!

Make sure it's hot pink!

Edit: or should I say fushia, sounds more posh
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kija
Make sure it's hot pink!

Edit: or should I say fushia, sounds more posh
That would definitely go with my purple-spotted jim-jams
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
That would definitely go with my purple-spotted jim-jams
There are some very strange, and I fear "sick" people on this forum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.