Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Men..... in shorts!

Men..... in shorts!

Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Men..... in shorts!

I wasn’t going to write this, but what the hell… I know some of you will say its me with the problem, but hell I don’t care anymore.

Grown men in shorts… in mid winter! Well it just isn’t right is it!

There I was minding my own business walking round New World looking for those clever baskets, and there he stood, right in front of me. He looked like a cross between Desperate Dan and Terry Scott (anyone under 45 won’t get that). All that was missing was a catapult sticking out of his back pocket. But wait, the best part was, he had on white socks and sandals (I absolutely and categorically refuse to call them Jandals… I don’t do “Gummies” either… I mean come on, that sounds like something you would get from an OAP hooker!)…. I digress.
I wear “shorts” when my “boys” are threatening to poach themselves, and not a moment sooner!

What really cracks me up though is when I see someone without any footwear … in the supermarket… in winter! Seen it during our first winter here back in 2007, saw this woman get out of her car, followed by a teenager in a tee shirt, shorts and nothing else. There was ice on the ground!!!!!!! Thought I was seeing things. My wife had on twenty five layers of clothing, four pairs of socks, electrically heated underwear and she still had icicles hanging off her nose! Since then we have both seen this strange phenomenon a good few times. Are these people just really really tough or just thick?

Anyway, back to the men in shorts… in winter. I was thinking of getting up a petition of sorts, "DOWN WITH MENS SHORTS"… or something like that. Would like to hear what y’all think on this topic. Or does anyone have any more stories of clothing “faux pas” they would like to share?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:34 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Men..... in shorts!

I'll do as you say, and say it's a problem with you.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:49 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kevin
I wasn’t going to write this, but what the hell… I know some of you will say its me with the problem, but hell I don’t care anymore.

There I was minding my own business walking round New World looking for those clever baskets, and there he stood, right in front of me. He looked like a cross between Desperate Dan and Terry Scott (anyone under 45 won’t get that). All that was missing was a catapult sticking out of his back pocket. But wait, the best part was, he had on white socks and sandals (I absolutely and categorically refuse to call them Jandals… I don’t do “Gummies” either… I mean come on, that sounds like something you would get from an OAP hooker!)…. I digress.
I wear “shorts” when my “boys” are threatening to poach themselves, and not a moment sooner!

What really cracks me up though is when I see someone without any footwear … in the supermarket… in winter! Seen it during our first winter here back in 2007, saw this woman get out of her car, followed by a teenager in a tee shirt, shorts and nothing else. There was ice on the ground!!!!!!! Thought I was seeing things. My wife had on twenty five layers of clothing, four pairs of socks, electrically heated underwear and she still had icicles hanging off her nose! Since then we have both seen this strange phenomenon a good few times. Are these people just really really tough or just thick?

Anyway, back to the men in shorts… in winter. I was thinking of getting up a petition of sorts, "DOWN WITH MENS SHORTS"… or something like that. Would like to hear what y’all think on this topic. Or does anyone have any more stories of clothing “faux pas” they would like to share?
I really hate how most people dress here they look like they have just dragged
themselves out of bed, and agree i hate shorts on men they look stupid even in the summer!!

I actually saw a women today with a full beard and moustache omg what is wrong with people here!!

And sorry i hate when i see those women with flowers in they're hair, do you think its growing out of they're head? oh and have you seen people who wear no shoes they have black feet they must tread that in they're houses god knows what they look like!

Last edited by love30stm; Jul 7th 2011 at 6:54 am.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:52 am

I will never ever understand how people cant and wont bother with themselves...and i will never call Wellingtons gum boots or flip flops jandles

ok must be wine time now
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

I agree ..... its quite beyond me!! what on earth???
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty as charged your honour

Cant remember the last time i wore long pants
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin
Choking! You and I must have been separated at birth!!! I do have more very specific issues, it's like: togs, togs, togs .... undies.

Lets get this straight, I don't mind men and I don't mind men in shorts with the appropriate coverage and in the right circumstances: like for sports, bumming around outdoors at the beach, in the garden or whatever.

Okay, there's some special dispensations; if they must wear the lycra cycling shorts, then please you know, be actually riding or very close to a bicycle..

However, if we're talking old guys, and specifically old guys about town in their skimpies then OMG, it's so wrong.

Hmm, imagine the guy in front of you at the supermarket; which ones are worse?

Old slobby guys, with big fat guts, wearing skin tight 1970s footballer style, short, shorts with splits up the side. Bleugh!! Usually this species prefers to wear no shoes and has the toenails of a yeti.

or

Extremely skinny guys, with 1970s footballer short shorts that are way too big and flap about in the wind, revealing a bit too much of their puny white bums.

or

Old guys, with big those 'lived-in' stubbies, you know where they have the perma-creases from the groin outwards and look like they're moulded on and the legholes seem to stand out on their own. I doubt they get washed from one month to the next? Bleughh!!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

LOL The feet thing gets me! In the supermarket! Touching the food! Eurgh

I hate feet anyway. Bare feet should be banned in places selling food

Another one... slippers and PJs in the supermarket Get dressed you lazy ******s
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
LOL The feet thing gets me! In the supermarket! Touching the food! Eurgh

I hate feet anyway. Bare feet should be banned in places selling food

Another one... slippers and PJs in the supermarket Get dressed you lazy ******s
Yeah can't agree more it's disgusting I don't want to see smelly ugly old cracked feet
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
LOL The feet thing gets me!
They'd be fine if they were nicely aligned, reasonably clean and manicured: but no, they're usually minging and either pigeon-toed or at ten-to-two.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
They'd be fine if they were nicely aligned, reasonably clean and manicured: but no, they're usually minging and either pigeon-toed or at ten-to-two.
I'm gagging at the thought....
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Surely it depends on the geographic location and conditions

Tempting to start on the related issue of watching the Brits trying to make the most of their pathetic summers... festivals in the mud, vile seaside "pleasure" piers, rainy Augusts at Butlins, Cliff Richard singing at Wimbledon, crammed beaches and "Hotter than the Med" headlines when it gets to 25 degrees (for 2 days)... oh please.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by DC10
Surely it depends on the geographic location and conditions
Yes it does .

Husband wears his shorts to work unless it's dead parky and raining. It's quite often doing that but when the weather is reasonable he does wear his shorts to work. He has great legs so I think it looks good although it's not the ticket for H&S. But who gives a poo about that , here in NZ.

I loved my birthday in August . Lovely long summer days in the UK. There again I came from a UK South Coast seaside resort & simply don't recognise your description of a UK summer DC10. My summers were great & mostly spent on the beach .

Here we need to cover up, wear sunglasses and hats. The sun is the enemy and rightly so. Yet still it's peddled how wonderful all this so-called sun is.

ps

It's raining ......again
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Well my hubby looks great in shorts and I think folks should please themselves what they wear, on the grand scale of things ~ does it matter? Although wouldn't be keen on someone walking the pavements in bare feet then traipsing around my home!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For anyone else of a sensitive nature or with a sense of humour bypass, yet to experience some Kiwi couture, please don't look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSFCvG6curE

Because although it is purported to be the 1970s world Famous in New Zealand since ages ago, it might hurt your eyes and ruin the surprise of what equates to 'smart casual' down here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.